• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I suspect far-sighted politicians will be distancing themselves from this Sh*t show, if they have not already.

Same as Teamsters Canada, the Canadian Trucking Association, the Private Motor Truck Council of Canada, the Atlantic Provinces Trucking Association and the B.C. Trucking Association had the fore-sight to do.

Maybe even express appreciation to the drivers who kept on truckin'.

Double vaxed and boosted, isolated, in a secure location and he caught the vid anyway. I wonder what he'll offer up as an excuse for catching it. I don't know, but I expect the normal Joe on the street will see that and probably wonder what they've been doing locked up at home, not able to work, not able to send the kids to school, not able to socialize, mandated to follow medical procedures they disagree with or suffer social ostracization as a Typhoid Mary kind of person. Two years of mealy mouthed measurements that only caused anger, angst, depression and a myriad of other mental health problems that will plague us for two generations. Suicides, break up of family units, poverty and homelessness. All for something that only has a 0.0X% chance of killing you.

But wait! There's a silver lining to all of this!

His symptoms won't be as severe:cool:;)

He won't have to attend to the nations business, in the House, for 14 days. No pesky questions on the convoy or their demands. No dealing with an opposition asking inconvenient questions or Canadians demanding action. Two weeks to hide and let things blow over, as is his want. Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if some crisis reared it's ugly head on day 13 of his quarantine. Just in time to shut down discussion of the convoy and their demands. Then he can swoop in out of nowhere, change the daily narrative and go back to his saving Canadians from themselves.
Up until a few days ago, I very much doubt he was isolated. The PMO and PCO have a lot of staff milling about, plus whoever else he interacted with (security detail, household staff, etc.).

I don't think anybody has claimed that the vaccines make you immune.

Honest question to the board. I haven't been breathlessly following the events in Ottawa, mostly for my sanity. During speeches, press conferences, etc., have any of the organizers, psuedo-organizers or anybody who purports to have anything to do with running this thing in Ottawa, denounced or commented at all on the reports (formal and social media) of illegal/unsavory/disruptive behavior of some the participants? I watched the above clip but couldn't hear all of it well and don't know who they were.

I mean, it's their party. Wouldn't it make simple sense to distance yourself from it? If they claim to have legitimate demands, would it not make sense to come across as legitimate? You don't even have to mean it - just sound sincere and claim some high ground. Otherwise, the casual observer has little choice but to use the same paintbrush.

Up until a few days ago, I very much doubt he was isolated. The PMO and PCO have a lot of staff milling about, plus whoever else he interacted with (security detail, household staff, etc.).

I don't think anybody has claimed that the vaccines make you immune.

Honest question to the board. I haven't been breathlessly following the events in Ottawa, mostly for my sanity. During speeches, press conferences, etc., have any of the organizers, psuedo-organizers or anybody who purports to have anything to do with running this thing in Ottawa, denounced or commented at all on the reports (formal and social media) of illegal/unsavory/disruptive behavior of some the participants? I watched the above clip but couldn't hear all of it well and don't know who they were.

I mean, it's their party. Wouldn't it make simple sense to distance yourself from it? If they claim to have legitimate demands, would it not make sense to come across as legitimate? You don't even have to mean it - just sound sincere and claim some high ground. Otherwise, the casual observer has little choice but to use the same paintbrush.

I think the leaders are missing the opportunity here to get out in front of bad press and distance themselves and their core ideals from the whacked hangers on they have polluting their protest.

I think the leaders are missing the opportunity here to get out in front of bad press and distance themselves and their core ideals from the whacked hangers on they have polluting their protest.
Exactly. I mentioned that they were losing the initiative to these people.

Do we know who the real leaders are? I mean the ones that represent the truckers. I honestly have not seen anything from them.

Do we know who the real leaders are? I mean the ones that represent the truckers. I honestly have not seen anything from them.

Thats the big problem with these movements eh ? Who are the leaders... I mean its not like the follow Roberts Rules of Order lol

I'm going to step back for a bit and maybe come back in a few days when I've cooled off.

I actually agree that a lot of things have led us here and we have a big problem. I am not debating that.

My final words on the "protest" is that members of this forum should very weary of supporting this thing until more details come to light, my view is definitely very biased right now. Mods / Admin please delete anything you feel may have gotten out of hand or doesn't relate to what's happening.
That's fine but instead of focusing the Nazis, Antifa, Alt Right, Eco-terrorists, etc.... (they will always exist no matter how angry you get about it)

By focusing on the idiots who exist everywhere, you're missing the actual issues and "can't see the forest for the trees". Many people have grievances with continuing restrictions and Government interventions. They are fed up with constantly shifting goal posts, arbitrary measures, politicized policy lacking actual evidence.

P.S.

I actually don't mind idiots out waving Nazi flags because it lets everyone know who those idiots are 😉

The issue, no matter what, is that a Nazi Flag will ALWAYS get attention. It gets more attention when people around the Nazi flag keep partying it up. I’m pretty sure we all get that here.

The issue, no matter what, is that a Nazi Flag will ALWAYS get attention. It gets more attention when people around the Nazi flag keep partying it up.

And others with a yellow Star of David. WTF?

These are mostly the independent truckers, like the independent fishermen, it's like herding cats. This is a real popular protest, not organized by the usual suspects, they catapulted on popular discontent and now struggle to know what to do next. Unlike like the professional grievers who know how to play the game. Which is why in other countries you see groups like the communists/Marxists or Islamists piggyback on general grievances to further their own agenda's. Canada as a whole is not used to a general grievance protest , so we look down on it as unorganized. However to diss it, we fail to heed the warning. Unrest is building in the country from a number of factors and Ottawa (and much of the Provincial ruling class) is disconnected from the population at large. The next version of general protest will be better organized and tougher.

…and may also manifest itself more directly in federal and provincial elections…

I won’t disagree necessarily. But I wonder what damage he has done to the brand by making himself vulnerable to attack on this. Maybe I’m wrong. But maybe if he had just stuck with the messaging and stayed away instead of meeting them in person? I think that he and others were hoping for quick political wins with the base.

I expect we’ll see attack ads with him and other CPC members standing next to flags etc etc.

I totally get why Bernier was there though. This does’t hurt him at all.

I totally get why Bernier was there though. This doesn’t hurt him at all.
Bernier's ultimate goal is to keep the Cons out of power. He's a spoiled brat who didn't like the way the Conservative playground treated him when he ran for the leadership, so he took his ball and went home. He knows he can't win a general election, but he can deny O'Toole a win.

Bernier's ultimate goal is to keep the Cons out of power. He's a spoiled brat who didn't like the way the Conservative playground treated him when he ran for the leadership, so he took his ball and went home. He knows he can't win a general election, but he can deny O'Toole a win.
His popular vote share is likely to increase. I doubt his vote share efficiency will. But I think you are on point with his ability to deny an O’toole win. Your post made me think that maybe O’toole made the decision to meet the protesters with that in mind and risk manage the fall out? Food for thought.

His popular vote share is likely to increase. I doubt his vote share efficiency will. But I think you are on point with his ability to deny an O’toole win.
Every time Bernier's vote share increases, he comes closer to handing the Liberals their next majority. As a "true" Conservative, I'm sure he sees that, and doesn't care. His long game is to deny victory to those who blocked his leadership attempt until he can re-enter the fold to "save" the Canadian right.
Your post made me think that maybe O’toole made the decision to meet the protesters with that in mind and risk manage the fall out? Food for thought.
As long as O'Toole avoids the fringe and radical elements and takes a tone of moderation he should be okay. However, with the Liberals not likely to call another election for two years, this protest will be a distant memory. None of that will matter.

Why shouldn't he meet with the protesters? There are legitimate grievances here, even though I disagree with them, the fact that many folk were willing to do all of this NEED to be listened too.

I mean awesome would be he punched some clown in the mouth as he runs by with a Nazi flag while doing the interview,......but wet dreams for another time.

I suppose one could argue the efficacy of Mr. O'Toole's winnowing, however that was three days ago. Taking the lazy man's modern internet savvy man's approach to argument . . .

Events dear boy.jpg quote-a-week-is-a-long-time-in-politics-harold-wilson-52-93-20.jpg

I haven't seen much from O'Toole today. He was just sitting down when I tuned into QP in the House so I missed if he made any reference to the ongoing events in Ottawa. As much as I despise the use of Twitter as a means of social and political discourse, I went to Mr. O'Toole's page to see if he had anything up to date to say. Nothing there that impresses me with his leadership in regard to this protest.

Back