• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Military Parachutist and Para Coy Opportunities

bms

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if being a qualified Basic Military Parachutist upon enrollment into the Canadian Forces would increase your chances of being posted within a para coy, since you already have the basic course completed.

How would you already be a qualified military parachutist before actually enrolling into the military? Unless you are coming from another military where you were qualified, I don't think that you could just get into a para coy without having to do all the same training over again the way that the Canadian Forces want you to do it.

If you receive your Basic para while in the Cadets or in the reserves it counts. As for posting to para Coys well it is all up to your career manager. First they decide which BN need the most soldiers, then when you are in the BN the RSM will decide which Coy needs the most soldiers. I have had soldiers with the course trying to go to the para Coy for years with no luck.

Interesting. I guess it's just one of those things where if they see what you are made of and like it, you get a once in a lifetime shot at it.

There are threads around about this. You have to be done BMQ, SQ, and MOC before you will even get considered for the para course, and even then, not everyone passes, from what I've read you have to be extremely fit and stand out as the right type of soldier that they want to take the course and all that kind of stuff. So I would advise joining and completeing all necessary training before even thinking about getting into a para coy.

bms said:
I was wondering if being a qualified Basic Military Parachutist upon enrollment into the Canadian Forces would increase your chances of being posted within a para coy, since you already have the basic course completed.

If you are applying to R NFLD R this won't help you one bit as they don't have a para coy. But note what dangerboy wrote.

Rochester said:
There are threads around about this. You have to be done BMQ, SQ, and MOC before you will even get considered for the para course, and even then, not everyone passes, from what I've read you have to be extremely fit and stand out as the right type of soldier that they want to take the course and all that kind of stuff. So I would advise joining and completeing all necessary training before even thinking about getting into a para coy.
Rochester,
Considering the gent claims to already have his basic para course.... he won't need to take the course over again - though he may not be current in his jumps - which all paras are expected to keep up-to-date... which might be a problem.

BMS will have to complete his BQ, SQ, GMQ in the infantry, get selected to an Infantry Bn .... at which time he man or may not have an oportunity to resume his jumps and possibly get selected for a Para spot.  Note, as stated above, a bit of luck will be required as positions are few and applicants are many.

geo said:
- though he may not be current in his jumps - which all paras are expected to keep up-to-date... which might be a problem.
Huh?
I went 7 years w/o jumping once  - its no biggie to get a Para refresher -- hence why they have them...

Ahhh...I see says the blind man!

Tks Kev

no worries
-- the rest of your commentary runs true...

Thanks for the information. I kind of figured that even of the chances were a bit higher, they were canceled out by the vast amount of applications.

On a different note, I wonder if you are given more of a hard time on basic because of the heightened expectations of a person with wings? I mean, if they are on you when they don't expect a whole lot, I wonder what happens when they have higher expectations.

No you aren't.  As a Recruit you will not be wearing your wings on any of your uniforms and no one would know.  Besides, you have a ways to go before you reach the age to worry about such things.  If you use the SEARCH function you will find more answers to your questions in a number of topics on Para Qualifications and opportunities.

George Wallace said:
  As a Recruit you will not be wearing your wings on any of your uniforms and no one would know. 

???

CF's...

Infidel-6 said:
???

CF's...

How often would they wear them and at what point in their course?

When do Recruits get issued their DEU these days?  Just prior to Grad Parade or earlier?

He'd get them well before grad parade, and, if he's basic para qualified it would be included on his clothing docs (tracked electronicly by SN -- so no matter if earned prior to RegF time -- he'd retain the same SN); therefore the tailor shop, when altering his DEU to fit him (and even if he didn't need them altered) would sew on any entitled accoutrements -- including his cherry wings.

His basic para qual would be noted at time of enrollment and included on his MPRR. Clothing pulls it's info from Peoplesoft.

No idea, that was 20 years ago for me...

I was just offering that it was a potential option, and he would also fill out those lovely personal history, and career goal letters to his section and pl comd.

I'd expect more from a jumper than a dirty leg  ;D

I know.....SEARCH....So his Cadet SN will be in PeopleSoft, etc and included in his CF docs.

Mmph....given a choice, would be inclined to not wear jump wings on my CF for the duration of the BMQ / SQ  during which time you're wearing the "snowflake" capbadge.  Some recruits would see the para wings as your statement of "I am tough" and might decide they want to see just how tough you are....... in an unfair fight.

Once you arrive for your MBQ you'll blend in with those reservists who have been lucky enough to get their wings without obtaining a "pass" for their BMQ & sent directly to a Bn.

Regardless BMS, you've earned em, you can wear em.

George Wallace said:
I know.....SEARCH....So his Cadet SN will be in PeopleSoft, etc and included in his CF docs.

Cadets don't get SNs, but their cadet history is noted at time of enrollment as cadet service and some courses (such as para) being transferable. When he gets built into the system (Reg or Res) upon enrollment with a SN then the transferrable items from cadets would be noted onto the MPRR ... and follow him electronicly from that point on.

geo said:
Mmph....given a choice, would be inclined to not wear jump wings on my CF for the duration of the BMQ / SQ  during which time you're wearing the "snowflake" capbadge.  Some recruits would see the para wings as your statement of "I am tough" and might decide they want to see just how tough you are....... in an unfair fight.

You'd have been really scared of that former FFL guy (heading to the PPCLI) that went through with me on 8804 then!!  >:D

Back