• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

If you can't defeat your enemy by fighting war their way, redefine War. We need to wake up and stop fighting the last war as we already have War being waged upon us. Didn't Sun Tzu and von Clausewitz teach us anything?

I bet someone over here makes one for the M203 pretty quickly. And the various under barrel 12ga creations that were never adopted over the years will probably be re-examined. We are SO far behind in tactical drone TTP's and equipment. And our defense industry/military procurement is glacial at best. Just watch and see how they try to high-tech and gold plate this to increase their profit margins and justify their E-ring offices and budget.

8 VLS cells for Kalibr, and a Pantsir SHORAD. Not huge, but still a good hit if true.
So by my calculations she's not much different than an MCDV. Bit longer but less tonnage. A lot faster though. A lot smaller than an AOPS - but faster again. Gives me an idea of the possible.

@Kirkhill - here's how you can put some air defence systems near several of our major urban centres. Or park more anti-ship missiles near the Baltics. You're welcome. ;)

I bet someone over here makes one for the M203 pretty quickly. And the various under barrel 12ga creations that were never adopted over the years will probably be re-examined.
Better off a stand alone. No sense adding 5lbs to a rifle/carbine that will be used rarely.

There are some 40mm C-UAS systems already.
We are SO far behind in tactical drone TTP's and equipment. And our defense industry/military procurement is glacial at best. Just watch and see how they try to high-tech and gold plate this to increase their profit margins and justify their E-ring offices and budget.
USASOC has put some serious efforts into this. Big Army I’m less convinced with.

So by my calculations she's not much different than an MCDV. Bit longer but less tonnage. A lot faster though. A lot smaller than an AOPS - but faster again. Gives me an idea of the possible.

@Kirkhill - here's how you can put some air defence systems near several of our major urban centres. Or park more anti-ship missiles near the Baltics. You're welcome. ;)
Tonnage is only one metric. These were some of the most modern ships in the Russian navy and quite heavily armed. Likely had her air defense sensors off to avoid detection, but spent to long in one place. I think a lesson learned for South Pacific and Mediterranean ops is mobile basing, so your fleet support is always moving around.

Schiff_%C2%ABBurya%C2%BB_03.jpg

Tonnage is only one metric. These were some of the most modern ships in the Russian navy and quite heavily armed. Likely had her air defense sensors off to avoid detection, but spent to long in one place. I think a lesson learned for South Pacific and Mediterranean ops is mobile basing, so your fleet support is always moving around.

I expect the U.S. is getting, and passing on, satellite images of the berths a few times a day. Probably wouldn’t be a big effort to coordinate an ATACMS hit based on a real time “still there? Yup” plus rocket flight time.

That's really my point. We have existing hulls that could carry more weapons if we decided that they should have them. Obviously that takes engineering, but the gross metrics indicate it should be feasible.

Would I prefer a new ship with more speed. Sure but if something can be modernized economically then lets do so.

I come from the point of view that Canada's armed forces should be armed. It seems to me to be a great waste of resources to build ships, even training ships that are not capable of carrying armaments. Air defence and anti-ship capabilities should be built into every ship. IMHO, even a mine sweeper should come with an air defence system and an appropriate surface weapon system. One can always use an "armed" ship in a peacetime role. Unarmed ships have limited value.

🍻

Back