• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

Thats a hard position to hold when this cost 0 dollars and we’re short 17000 soldiers, sailors, and airmen.
At the end of the day, when one signs up for a Military they effectively write the country a check for any amount up to their life. If you’re willing to do that, I fail to see how hair etc can possibly be an issue.

That said I’ve never given a shit about my hair - and 000 on the sides has been my routine haircut for years, and the only thing that alters is generally the time between haircuts.

So that isn’t an issue to me, but I can understand why it can be an issue for some.

On the other hand I’m rarely clean shaven, simply because ever since I got sprayed in shit in Afghanistan my facial skin is very sensitive and so I just use a trimmer every now and then, unless I really need to shave, then I just suck it up.

Somehow, and I know it seems impossible, I manage to use the shutter without getting upset some one put a box of female sanitary supplies in there. I know guys it seems impossible, but if you don’t obsess over every little thing you live a much happier life.
Heck I get more upset at Golf Courses on military bases - as I see perfectly good rifle ranges being mis-utilized

Heck I get more upset at Golf Courses on military bases - as I see perfectly good rifle ranges being mis-utilized

Funny you bring that up. In some recent news, some locals got upset at the announcement that a military golf course will close.

Funny you bring that up. In some recent news, some locals got upset at the announcement that a military golf course will close.

Warms my heart. Now just need a bulldozer to push up some berms ;)

I fully support on base golf courses that can pay for their own operations and maintenance and capital costs and for all utilities and PILT associated with their operations.
If the base didn't want the golf club building, Pet Golf Club would likely take it over. It's safe enough to remain open now without renovations and the gym/gymnastics club is remaining next year in the attached portion. Much like any old building, if you don't touch the walls the $7M price tag can keep being kicked down the road like it has been for 30 years there...

If the base didn't want the golf club building, Pet Golf Club would likely take it over. It's safe enough to remain open now without renovations and the gym/gymnastics club is remaining next year in the attached portion. Much like any old building, if you don't touch the walls the $7M price tag can keep being kicked down the road like it has been for 30 years there...
If golf club membership aren't willing to pay the cost of operating the club, then close the club.

Shuttering the building while in the middle of a $2Mn renovation. The government hits just keep on coming.

My favourite example is an Ontario government building I worked out of. A contractor was in re-sealing the windows and another contractor was in replacing the windows that has just been re-sealed. One literally chased the other around the building.

My favourite example is an Ontario government building I worked out of. A contractor was in re-sealing the windows and another contractor was in replacing the windows that has just been re-sealed. One literally chased the other around the building.
Tearing up a street in Winnipeg to replace the sewer pipes. Just after the street had been replaced

The RCN does this all the time; we'll push work from DWPs to the FMFs, but means the nice coats of paint we just refreshed needs to be partially stripped off to do hotwork, or try and do repairs/part replacements on the firemain while it's needed, instead of doing it while it's dry for 2+ years.

This is what happens when the 'planners' ignore input from the SMEs because they know better or something.

The RCN does this all the time; we'll push work from DWPs to the FMFs, but means the nice coats of paint we just refreshed needs to be partially stripped off to do hotwork, or try and do repairs/part replacements on the firemain while it's needed, instead of doing it while it's dry for 2+ years.

This is what happens when the 'planners' ignore input from the SMEs because they know better or something.
There's other factors in there than 'knowing better'. Lots of the time the coal face doesn't get to see all the pressures and deadlines the planners are under. Issues like budgets, contracts, scope of work, timelines, other work in the area interfering, etc.

From working in industry I can see the different points in action. What is best for maintenance isn't always what production needs, and what is best for production can cause a lot more work for maintenance. Say a pump is getting close to grenading, we know this through PMs and inspections. It might make more sense to ride out the pump until it dies and then replace it than to take everything down to fix it. Might be a easier fix, but the lost profits/capabilities might override that ease of maintenance.

Likewise with the Navy, that planner only has so much to work with. Their budget and scope of work might be limited so even though they likely want to do the repair when it's easier, they lack the ability to do so. Doing that work might not be possible in the time frame alotted, or might mean sacrificing something else. If I was the planner and had limited means, I would focus on the most difficult jobs to do/the most critical ones and not the ones that can be done at a other point in time relatively easily.

Paint is easily replaced, time isn't.

At the end of the day, when one signs up for a Military they effectively write the country a check for any amount up to their life. If you’re willing to do that, I fail to see how hair etc can possibly be an issue.

That is why I don't take the pink hair and face tat crowd all that seriously. A lot of people have given up a helluva lot more than preferred choice of face hair style to serve this nation.

I don't think the country will get the mileage it intends out of the targeted recruit audience with these initiatives. Meaning if all that has been holding them back from joining all this time was the hair policy - they probably aren't going to be in it for the right reasons.

Opinions may vary!

There's other factors in there than 'knowing better'. Lots of the time the coal face doesn't get to see all the pressures and deadlines the planners are under. Issues like budgets, contracts, scope of work, timelines, other work in the area interfering, etc.

From working in industry I can see the different points in action. What is best for maintenance isn't always what production needs, and what is best for production can cause a lot more work for maintenance. Say a pump is getting close to grenading, we know this through PMs and inspections. It might make more sense to ride out the pump until it dies and then replace it than to take everything down to fix it. Might be a easier fix, but the lost profits/capabilities might override that ease of maintenance.

Likewise with the Navy, that planner only has so much to work with. Their budget and scope of work might be limited so even though they likely want to do the repair when it's easier, they lack the ability to do so. Doing that work might not be possible in the time frame alotted, or might mean sacrificing something else. If I was the planner and had limited means, I would focus on the most difficult jobs to do/the most critical ones and not the ones that can be done at a other point in time relatively easily.

Paint is easily replaced, time isn't.
I've actually been that planner, and this had really nothing to do with the decision.

It was strictly to push work to FMF, which in some cases wasn't able to get done because of the impact on the ship's operation for having to shut down the entire firemain to replace some valves, so just put it on their books instead of actually getting done.

The paint example was the same; very simple job for DWP, in a low traffic space with minimal interference became a huge issue when the ship was in the water with fuel/ammo on board and messed up the new paint.

Ended up costing us far more in arisings to do emergency repairs on the firemain side when the obsolete item that would have been replaced a few years before finally failed catastrophically in the operation cycle. So few of the isolation valves work (because those inspections were cut out of DWP) that you end up losing huge sections to get actual isolation to replace a single valve (which has a bigger flange to flange distance so needs pipework). Next thing you know you end up having to disembark ammo and all sorts of other foolishness.

Can confirm!

Or the reverse.
They finally got around to rebuilding our back lanes in our immediate neighbourhood after decades of saying they were on the to do list sometime in the far distant undefined future.
Over a period of several years more the one vehicle suffered under carriage damage including at least one lost transmission. The ride down my own backlane was horrendous . I suspect that on least two occasions my kidneys traded places .
It was rough.
Then the former councillor who had retired put Street signs on each lane with the name's of every current city council member on them. It made the local news for several days and the national news once .
Lo and behold roughly three weeks later they began digging up the lanes to repair and replace the cement and asphalt.
It was already scheduled to be done we were told.

They finally got around to rebuilding our back lanes in our immediate neighbourhood after decades of saying they were on the to do list sometime in the far distant undefined future.
Over a period of several years more the one vehicle suffered under carriage damage including at least one lost transmission. The ride down my own backlane was horrendous . I suspect that on least two occasions my kidneys traded places .
It was rough.
Then the former councillor who had retired put Street signs on each lane with the name's of every current city council member on them. It made the local news for several days and the national news once .
Lo and behold roughly three weeks later they began digging up the lanes to repair and replace the cement and asphalt.
It was already scheduled to be done we were told.

That's a shame.

Especially considering,

In 2023, Winnipeg, Manitoba, had the highest property taxes in all of Canada

That is why I don't take the pink hair and face tat crowd all that seriously.

Good luck getting hired elsewhere looking like that.

Back