• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your LAV-TUAs Have Been Ordered - 33 by May 2006

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert WASP.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
GD Awarded $23 Million Modification to Previously Awarded Canadian LAV III Contract

(Source: General Dynamics; issued Aug. 23, 2004)

LONDON, Ontario --- The Canadian Department of National Defence has awarded a $22.85 million CAD (approx. $17.36 million USD) modification to a previously awarded contract for LAV III vehicles to General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada. 

Under this contract modification, General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada will manufacture 33 LAV III TOW Under Armour vehicles equipped with refurbished and upgraded Kvaerner Eureka Armoured Launching Turrets. TOW is a Tube-launched Optically-tracked Wire-guided anti-tank missile used by the Canadian forces to defeat tanks and armored vehicles. The under armor system allows the soldier to track targets and fire the TOW missile from inside the LAV III where he is protected from bullets and shrapnel. Deliveries will take place between September 2005 and May 2006. 

General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada, located in London, Ontario, Canada is a business unit of General Dynamics Land Systems of Sterling Heights, Michigan. For more than 25 years, approximately 1500 highly skilled technical personnel design, manufacture and deliver a unique family of light armored vehicles (LAV). 

General Dynamics, headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, employs approximately 69,400 people worldwide and anticipates 2004 revenue of $19 billion. The company is a market leader in mission critical information systems and technologies; land and expeditionary combat systems; shipbuilding and marine systems; and business aviation. 

-ends- 

Are they using 33 exisiting LAVIII chassis and putting on the TUA or is it 33 new build LAVIII chassis with a modified TUA?

Good question.  I don't know.  I think it is the latter, refurbed turret on a new LAV III. 

I would assume from the M113 TUAs that are already in service.

will manufacture 33 LAV III TOW Under Armour vehicles equipped with refurbished and upgraded Kvaerner Eureka Armoured Launching Turrets.
From the article, it seems they will build the new chassis, and put existing turrets on them.

Jungle said:
From the article, it seems they will build the new chassis, and put existing turrets on them.

Yes, refurbished/upgraded TUA out of the final batch of LAV-III ordered.
Contract covers Integration/Installation fee.

Per a 2003 BN, 'CONCEPT FOR PROCUREMENT OF THE US MOBILE GUN SYSTEM [MGS]'
"All ISC, CP and FOO vehicles have been built and purchased leaving 71 TUA (now 33 TUA & 33 MMEV-ADATS) + 39 PNR = 110 vehicles yet to be procured." :salute:

:cdn:

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason TUA is better then the 105mm gun on a Stryker or vice versa? I'm under the impression that both weapons are designed for tank busting, but could someone give me a quick rundown of the benefits and downsides of each system? Does the Stryker shoot faster? Does TOW have a longer range?

Thanks.

TOW has better range than MGS. The data I have seen (http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/databases/mbt/mbt.asp#maxrange) suggests that TOW can beat any Soviet/Chinese tank in terms of range with its 3750m max flight, while I don't think MGS can out-range much, making it more suited to bunker-busting etc. This would suggest to me that TUAs are as important in the future DFS Regiment as MGS. I'm not sure an MGS 105mm could defeat many modern tanks. I've read that a common round will have a hard time penetrating the frontal armour of a T-72, and I believe this is why even our Leo C2s are not suitable for modern tank warfare.
The downside of TOW is the frequent reloading necessary. It also cannot "fire and forget", meaning the TUA makes itself vulnerable.
Oh for a full regiment of Leo 2A6s...

RNW said:
Oh for a full regiment of Leo 2A6s...

I'm pretty sure with British restructuring, there will be a good number of Challenger 2's we could pick up for a song.

Matthew.  ???

Maybe some sort of Joint Training Establishment at BATUS in Suffield could be organized as well?  If we didn't want to be seen as being too inter-operable with the Americans.  Unfortunately we don't seem to want to be too interoperable with anybody.

Call me crazy, but I still like the idea of the Commonwealth Brigade.

At the very least it would force compatibility of key systems with our British and Australian Allies, which
in turn pretty much guarantees compatibilty with the USA.

Matthew.  :salute:

Might have to spot a Battalion to the French Foreign Legion as well to get that accepted.  ;D

It seems that a great many British Army armoured vehicles are fast becoming available...perhaps we Marines might even get enough to come up to strength of our TO&E.

Canadian Forces have been consistantly training with us at BATUS.

Back