• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

you like it

Benoit

Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if the people in the artillery actually like what they do....dont get offfended by this just woundering

I wouldn't remuster if it were as easy as a phone call. To be honest I didn't understand what Artillery was when I was a civie, but over the years I see all the different jobs that the Artillery provides. From the outside looking in it may seem that gunners simply pull lanyards all day.

Just to name a few other jobs, there are 7 different jobs on the gun itself, Artillery recce parties, Arty survey troops, command post techs and sigs, observation post techs and sigs, 81mm mortars, riggers for airmobile artillery, dz/lz controllers, we have pathfinders, jumpmasters,snipers, and mountain ops instructors.

Every tour there has been, a gunner somewhere was a member of. We carry the motto UBIQUE to signify we have been in every battle.The Artillery has right of line in the Army and has been referred to as the king of battle.

So I guess in response to your question, yeah its my cup o tea.

Further to that, at one time we ( the Gunners ) were solely responsible for trials, evaluation, and procurement of capital equipment. Also, we looked afer Life Cycle Managenment of that kit. Today, that is a Combat Arms-shared function. The guy formerly known as a Master Gunner is now a Land Force Technical Staff Warrant Officer.

Curiously, we still own the Tabular Firing Tables and ballistic programs world !

Ubique

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
I wouldn't remuster if it were as easy as a phone call. To be honest I didn't understand what Artillery was when I was a civie, but over the years I see all the different jobs that the Artillery provides. From the outside looking in it may seem that gunners simply pull lanyards all day.

Just to name a few other jobs, there are 7 different jobs on the gun itself, Artillery recce parties, Arty survey troops, command post techs and sigs, observation post techs and sigs, 81mm mortars, riggers for airmobile artillery, dz/lz controllers, we have pathfinders, jumpmasters,snipers, and mountain ops instructors.

Every tour there has been, a gunner somewhere was a member of. We carry the motto UBIQUE to signify we have been in every battle.The Artillery has right of line in the Army and has been referred to as the king of battle.

So I guess in response to your question, yeah its my cup o tea.

you say sniper- i am going into arty field - would i be able to be a sniper?- I do shooting cocompetitionsn my area and it is always been some thing i have been interested in- i did not want to join as infantry -

Sniper is by trade an infantry function, therefore to be a sniper qualified artilleryman it is more of a case of right place at the right time. Yes we have been referred to as the 5 mile snipers but thats another story. I would suggest that you take the time and resources to decide exactly what you want to do with your career because why waste the working years you have doing a job that you don't like. Keep in mind, you can also pick a trade you enjoy and join the rifle team.Good luck.

Why carry your kit when your kit can carry you?  ;D

Wow, didn't know all of that.. but I'm guessing those jobs are strictly field artillery? Is there more to AD than just being an ADATS, Javelin, or twin 35mm gunner?

Fry said:
Wow, didn't know all of that.. but I'm guessing those jobs are strictly field artillery? Is there more to AD than just being an ADATS, Javelin, or twin 35mm gunner?

yeah, there is ASCC (Air Space Control and Coordination) some one has to be responsible to know where the Air Force is flying, and what the army guys are doing on the ground....ASCC allows the guys that have a full perspective of both on the ground and in the air (the Air Defence) to control and coordinate such space for example to prevent a reoccurence of friendly fire bombing of troops on the ground.

Hmm... sounds great, but I hope I get trained on ADATS or the twin 35mm.

oh, no worries... you will get trained on all the AD equipment....you'll need a working knowlege of all of it before you could get streamlined and specialized.

no twin 35mm? Crappy.... any news if/whaat they are bringing in anything new? Or will they solely rely on ADATS

You probably won't see a javelin either. Those are also gone. and the Air Defence Artillery are now augmented to the Armoured regiments. Well, at least in LFWA. 18 Air Defence Regiment was a combined regular and reserve force unit. The regular force are now with LDSH(RC) on the ADATS, and the reservists are well, kinda slowly getting remustered to field artillery. There was a bunch of master bombadiers and bombadiers on a DP1 course this summer. It was kinda wierd.

Back