• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You know you live in BC when.....

BernDawg

Inactive
Reaction score
... You go to your daughters Remembrance day assembly rehearsal and they give John Lennon 5 minutes and don't even mention the peace keeper that the school is named after!!!

No shit.  We just got home and I still can't believe it.

My guess is the Mark Isfeld School.  Berndawg is from Comox.

BernDawg said:
... You go to your daughters Remembrance day assembly rehearsal and they give John Lennon 5 minutes and don't even mention the peace keeper that the school is named after!!!

No crap.  We just got home and I still can't believe it.

That makes me want to kill puppies, not gonna lie.

Is that a new(ish) school?  I grew up in CR and don't recall that one...

eurowing said:
My guess is the Mark Isfeld School.  Berndawg is from Comox.

I was afraid of that - that kinda torques me alot, since my partner worked on him where he was blown up and I did too at the UMS - had one of the other casualties from the same mine strike in my amb (my usual partner was off on a different task that day and I had a replacement with me).  However, being a BC'ite, it doesn't surprise me much.

MM

Yes and Yes and it is a recently (7 yrs-ish) renamed school on Lerwick (can't remember it's old title).  It really torqued me too cause I know the driver that was in the veh involved.
I can say, in their defence, that the rest of the service is quite well done but when they popped the Lennon thing at the end I almost couldn't keep my mouth shut.

They sang Imagine which is fine but then added how much of a soldier he was for peace etc, etc.  I am not opposed to his music or the use of it at the assembly but the added bit put me over the edge.
That is NOT the proper forum.  Not to mention they didn't even mention Mark once during the entire ceremony.

BernDawg
I can totally understand why you would be peeved at the school.  My husband was very good friends with Mark.  If I was you, I think, I would be making a phone call to the principal.  That is not right.  Mark deserves better.

BernDawg said:
They sang Imagine which is fine but then added how much of a soldier he was for peace etc, etc.  I am not opposed to his music or the use of it at the assembly but the added bit put me over the edge.
That is NOT the proper forum.  Not to mention they didn't even mention Mark once during the entire ceremony.

I was going to suggest the contacting the principal, however Engr's Wife beat me to it. Mark was one of my students when I was an instructor in CFSME.

2 suggestions -

1 - skip the school's administrator and go directly to the school board or to the local government - chances are the Principal didn't think of Mark to begin with, and won't see your point, so go somewhere to effect change or at least be heard.

2 - write a letter to the local newspaper, minus any reference to your current rank or position (so you do it as a private citizen) and voice your concern....

Lastly, a comment on the school's calling John Lennon being a soldier for peace....No....We're soldiers for peace....John Lennon was a MUSICIAN and a PERFORMER....Not a soldier. It's like calling a football player a 'warrior' or a 'hero'....

BernDawg - You're right to be annoyed.

HollywoodHitman said:
BernDawg - You're right to be annoyed. 

I think what it demonstates is that they are all focused on an admirable end goal, but are forgetting how that has been and will be achieved...

Greymatters said:
I think what it demonstates is that they are all focused on an admirable end goal, but are forgetting how that has been and will be achieved...
Most assuredly.
To be fair my Daughter attended five repetitions of the assembly today (drama room only holds 230 at a time) cause she was part of the tech crew and the principal did mention Mark during his address prior to the assembly starting. 
Oh, and they added an interpretive dancer to the Imagine portion of the show.  ::)

- I no longer attend the service at the U of A Butterdome because of that song.  I spoke to the RCL rep and he saw nothing wrong with a John Lennon song at a Nov 11 ceremony.  I pointed out the lines " nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too" and he told me I was the first to complain.

- Needless to say, THAT branch of the RCL does NOT get my dues every year!

Well to be fair, Imagine does highlight many noble causes.  You're all right though: calling him a soldier of peace is pushing the boundaries a tad much.

KingKikapu said:
Well to be fair, Imagine does highlight many noble causes.  You're all right though: calling him a soldier of peace is pushing the boundaries a tad much.
Wow that is so dumb. I do like John but to call him a soldier of peace at a Rememberance Day Ceremony is just at a school named after a real peacekeeper is nuts.

TCBF said:
- I no longer attend the service at the U of A Butterdome because of that song.  I spoke to the RCL rep and he saw nothing wrong with a John Lennon song at a Nov 11 ceremony.  I pointed out the lines " nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too" and he told me I was the first to complain.

- Needless to say, THAT branch of the RCL does NOT get my dues every year!

Boy, talk about being divorced from reality! But in some Branches this is the way it is.

tango22a

Back