• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You know you are past your expiriy date...

Why hasn't anyone mentioned how cool you were if the corduroy collar on your combat jacket was bleached white?

Old Sweat said:
You remember shining the head of the brass screw that held the liner in the Mk II Steel Helmet.

You were on the famous in Canadian army lore pay parade in 1959 when all ranks in Petawawa were paid in two dollar bills to demonstrate to the Pembroke area the economic impact of Petawawa. For all those who have heard the story and think it is an urban myth, the regimental pay parades lasted for hours because of the extra time needed to count out two dollar bills instead of tens and twenties. (No electronic banking back then.)

And yes, the stores could not close their cash register drawers and had shopping bags full of two dollar bills under the counters.

I have heard that tale from my dear old Dad first had. He was part of 1 Cdn Gds at the time.
You could also get a great tailor made suit at Sid Landens and put in on layaway simply by pawning your ID card and pray to God no one would ask you for it in the meantime.

-Lining up to get pay, with cash money.  One confused dimwit, with the lock box of cash and a paper with confused information.  Two MPs on either side (Always reg force) that had funny 13 year old moostashes, yet can stand at ease with such authority.
-Cigarette Lighter in vehicles
-Ashtrays in the mess
-PT with issued Green Running shoes, regimental T-Shirt and Shorts.  Started with the most Hungover guy, ordered to give the stretches, and the run staring with a few guys having to put out smokes.
-Going to the mess, before doing absolutely anything that involved non military involvement.
-Stressed about who will be the next Mess Association Prezzy.

Forgetting that the corduroy collar on your combat jacket was made of corduroy
Using "Lee Enfield" as your "stage name"

When I can remember this picture being taken

pet68.jpg

recceguy said:
Pet in '68

I call BS.

Last I saw you, You looked younger than Justin Bibier.  Remember, that was James's Joint where "Mom" Wrapped her sweater over my head....

Folks, please do not be fooled by RecceGuy's Shenanigans ...

dileas

tess

Groupe Brigade de Secteur de l'Est - and the other, less polite, expression that abbreviated to GBSE.

recceguy said:

pet68.jpg

Do you realize how much those look like teepees and muskets?  ;)

• Being on parade and the Queens Colour is the Union Flag
  • Remembering when during maintenance days in the field you were sent to the CQ to get a case of beer 
  • Not being able to remember your PKI password but can still recite the OP briefing from manning the checkpoints along the Dragovich Road in Croatia

You actually had to read the reference manual on how to assemble your rucksack because it was a jigsaw puzzle when you got it.

You remember exchanging the Tunic/trousers, polyester rifle green (butt ugly) for DEU's.  Even worse, you have exhanged battle dress, square rig or pigeon blue for Tunic/trousers, polyester rifle green (butt ugly).

You wore your field dressing in your helmet scrim.

MM

When you take objection to someone calling the C1 "old".

The Lee-Enfield No 4 MkI was the "old" rifle.

the 48th regulator said:
-When cleaning an weapon (FN) Rubbing the metal rifle parts with sand, applying oil on the wooden parts.
-Bragging about how to matchstick a rifle so that it becomes fully auto
-Hot spooning the bumps on combat boots, to smooth out the leather, so that you can get the high gloss shine after spit polishing them all night.  (Never done sober)
-Bragging because you got the Swedish meatballs, and pitted cherries in one ration pack.
-Pouring bug juice into your cupped hand, then rubbing the cam stick so that you can apply it easier to your face.
-*** pack filled with Melmac plate and cup.  Always destroyed after first section attack, humiliated by section commander, then by CQ as you explain how it happened.....in a line of 30 guys with the same problem....
-Epaulets, Chest Pockets, collars, sleeves (Even in summer the part that is rolled up), pant legs, side pockets on shirt, and pants all pressed regardless of the fact that doing so destroys all technological reason it should not be done.

-Tan Whistle lanyards, for anyone that served with, knew, heard of tThe RCR.  It was the damn Look Cool factor for the "Militia" Infantry!
-It is Called the MILITIA not the Reserves....
-Arguments about which Regiment had the most Battle honours, and why (Amalgamations were always the weak trump card..."Yah, but yer Regiment was merged with so and so, therefore you can not count adding them up...)

There, fixed that for you.

I remember:

Highly polished Lotus boots;

Fox putties;

Highly polished Sam Browne belts (thank all the gods for Pte Grabish, my batman);

Fur felt forage caps;

Sweaters, high neck;

Mugs, enamel;

Jump smocks; and ...

Selecting the stick man from amongst the ranks of the soldiers on picquet - giving that lucky fellow an unexpected night off.

recceguy said:

pet68.jpg

Looks like a scene from a Monty Python skit, and yes they do kind of look like muskets and teepees.  Totally reasonable given recceguy's longevity.

E.R. Campbell said:
Highly polished Sam Browne belts (thank all the gods for Pte Grabish, my batman);

Holy cow, how about being past your expiry date if you actually had a batman.

When you worked in a command post with a MiliPAC and a TTY with the CP&FC graph and HP41C as two of your back-up computing devices.  You remember chanting "fly birdie fly".
When you were in Berlin and stood at Checkpoint Charlie.
Your helmet was your wash basin.
Your gun Sgt had a drill stick in the field and used it to whack your fingers for touching the wrong micrometer.
When running with a/n inert/drill round over your head was common punishment.
When live rounds were fired from 105mm howitzers from the Carleton Officers Mess in Gagetown by a retiring Gunner.
You did "rifle PT" with an FNC1.
The 'fire watch sentry' sat beside a camp fire in the middle of your tent group.
You threw Heineken "green grenades" at the Brigade Commander as he crawled through the obstacle course you had helped construct outside the BFOM.
You remember what the "Sperm Palace" was in Lahr.
You had a girlfriend who was a Gateguard in Lahr or Baden who had never served a day in uniform.
You were issued 'Dance Cards" for use at your Spring Ball.

Back