• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You know you are past your expiriy date...

medicineman said:
I still have my '56 pattern mag pouches, as it was '64 'Y' yolk issued but we got those for our SMG mags where I was...weren't the mess tins/carrier used to house your Rain Gear, Paper, water absorbant?

MM

Yeah! Complete with 4 each Assy, Hook Strap. OMFG ...

WR said:
I wish my Sgt Maj & Ops WO could read this!!!  ;D

I can. The problem is, I can relate to most of it ::)

Battledress, aluminum pot syndrome, etc. Been there, doing that.

There shall never be another like the incomparable Hemp-rope Harold.  Who has his chair at the Black Angus?

When the mission breif for your first operational mission started with "The target for tonight is....."

When you start looking for equipment on the aircraft that has been removed for 5 years....

You did you JLC at the 4 Bde battleschool in Fort Anne.......

WR said:
I wish my Sgt Maj & Ops WO could read this!!!  ;D
Disrespectful whippersnapper!  Why in my day..........  :tsktsk:

When you trained with the M-1 and know what the "M-1 Thumb" is through experience.
When the M-14 was a new rifle.

-When cleaning an weapon (FN) Rubbing the metal rifle parts with sand, applying oil on the wooden parts.
-Bragging about how to matchstick a rifle so that it becomes fully auto
-Hot spooning the bumps on combat boots, to smooth out the leather, so that you can get the high gloss shine after spit polishing them all night.  (Never done sober)
-Bragging because you got the Swedish meatballs, and pitted cherries in one ration pack.
-Pouring bug juice into your cupped hand, then rubbing the cam stick so that you can apply it easier to your face.
-Ass pack filled with Melmac plate and cup.  Always destroyed after first section attack, humiliated by section commander, then by CQ as you explain how it happened.....in a line of 30 guys with the same problem....
-Epaulets, Chest Pockets, collars, sleeves (Even in summer the part that is rolled up), pant legs, side pockets on shirt, and pants all pressed regardless of the fact that doing so destroys all technological reason it should not be done.
-Tan Whistle lanyards, for anyone that served with, knew, heard of the RCR.  It was the damn Look Cool factor for the "Militia" Infantry!
-It is Called the MILITIA not the Reserves....
-Arguments about which Regiment had the most Battle honours, and why (Amalgamations were always the weak trump card..."Yah, but yer Regiment was merged with so and so, therefore you can not count adding them up...)

George Wallace said:
When "Mexican Overdrive" was not a good thing.

I had to look that one up.:
http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/Mexican%20Overdrive.htm

the 48th regulator said:

Agreed with everything you wrote except that.  Only Reserves + Infantry = Militia.

It's like Chevrolet being a GM, but a GM not necessarily being a Chevrolet.

If you were artillery reserves you were never part of the "Mo".

When you brief troops that weren't even born when you had 10 years in.

Petamocto said:
Only Reserves + Infantry = Militia.

That's all I ever heard it called.
Toronto Militia District (TMD)
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0tMvNyscSbgJ:www.canadiansoldiers.com/organization/districts.htm+toronto+militia+district&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

When your 22 year old troop commander calls you "son" two days before your 41st birthday.

Petamocto said:
Agreed with everything you wrote except that.  Only Reserves + Infantry = Militia.

It's like Chevrolet being a GM, but a GM not necessarily being a Chevrolet.

If you were artillery reserves you were never part of the "Mo".

My Armouries had Arty, Seven Tor, and we always called ourselves Milleesha.....

You Windsor bunch were always odd Petamomo  ;)

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
-When cleaning an weapon (FN) Rubbing the metal rifle parts with sand, applying oil on the wooden parts.
-Bragging about how to matchstick a rifle so that it becomes fully auto
-Hot spooning the bumps on combat boots, to smooth out the leather, so that you can get the high gloss shine after spit polishing them all night.  (Never done sober)
-Bragging because you got the Swedish meatballs, and pitted cherries in one ration pack.
-Pouring bug juice into your cupped hand, then rubbing the cam stick so that you can apply it easier to your face.
-Ass pack filled with Melmac plate and cup.  Always destroyed after first section attack, humiliated by section commander, then by CQ as you explain how it happened.....in a line of 30 guys with the same problem....
-Epaulets, Chest Pockets, collars, sleeves (Even in summer the part that is rolled up), pant legs, side pockets on shirt, and pants all pressed regardless of the fact that doing so destroys all technological reason it should not be done.
-Tan Whistle lanyards, for anyone that served with, knew, heard of the RCR.  It was the damn Look Cool factor for the "Militia" Infantry!
-Arguments about which Regiment had the most Battle honours, and why (Amalgamations were always the weak trump card..."Yah, but yer Regiment was merged with so and so, therefore you can not count adding them up...)
I'm so old, your "butt pack" remark refers to the "new" webbing!  ;D

Sunday dinner at the Sally Ann in Lahr.
Driving 30-odd km to go to the basement of the MP shack in Lahr to make your monthly call back to Canada.
3 Mech Commando
The manpack 77 set with a KY-57 strapped to it was considered cutting edge tech.

Technoviking said:
I'm so old, your "butt pack" remark refers to the "new" webbing!  ;D

Frig, you have been SHARP trained...Butt Pack...Pfft....in my day we call it A-S-S Pack....And we tied an onion to our belts, as it was the fashion in those days....

dileas

tess

You remember shining the head of the brass screw that held the liner in the Mk II Steel Helmet.

You were on the famous in Canadian army lore pay parade in 1959 when all ranks in Petawawa were paid in two dollar bills to demonstrate to the Pembroke area the economic impact of Petawawa. For all those who have heard the story and think it is an urban myth, the regimental pay parades lasted for hours because of the extra time needed to count out two dollar bills instead of tens and twenties. (No electronic banking back then.)

And yes, the stores could not close their cash register drawers and had shopping bags full of two dollar bills under the counters.

[whisper]
I made one of those Ham Radio calls to my mom from Cyprus ("Hello mom, this is David, over".....etc).  AND I got a medal for being there.  *sigh*

heh, it was always the militia to me... but then I'm from Cape Breton.  :p

Honestly though, I only even know what an FN is because the husband told me, when I was in cadets we were using the Lee Enfield. 

Lil_T said:
heh, it was always the militia to me... but then I'm from Cape Breton.  :p

Honestly though, I only even know what an FN is because the husband told me, when I was in cadets we were using the Lee Enfield.

Lee Enfield? You are really Old School!  ;D

Back