• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

York U Prof, takes a stand AGAINST religious sexism

ballz said:
Here's a question that may have already been answered, but after reading the National Post article it says the sensei was informed by various groups that the choice he made was correct by the law. It also talks about "reasonable accommodation."

What if I, as a business owner, believe that Islamic extremism is wrong, that segregating women and men is wrong, and that by accommodating this stupid request I would be discriminating against women? Much like A&E has every entitlement not to associate with Duck Dynasty, do I not have every entitlement not to associate with bigotry?

I fear the answer is that the sensei could find himself in court over the matter if he chose to tell the Islamic student to go pound sand.

I think that physical touching is a bit different than just meeting witha co-ed group (I had a Muslim student in my academic classes who would not touch female classmates, ie handshakes etc, but otherwise interacted perfectly normally and no one seemed to take offence or feel "degraded" by a lack of handshake).

However, this wasn't a mandatory school PE class or anything like that. If the dojo is co-ed and the student signed on with that understanding, he should follow the normal rules. What if at some point the only person for him to spar with was a female of the same level, why should he be allowed to stop her from bettering her skills against someone at her level?

Nudibranch said:
I think that physical touching is a bit different than just meeting witha co-ed group (I had a Muslim student in my academic classes who would not touch female classmates, ie handshakes etc, but otherwise interacted perfectly normally and no one seemed to take offence or feel "degraded" by a lack of handshake).

However, this wasn't a mandatory school PE class or anything like that. If the dojo is co-ed and the student signed on with that understanding, he should follow the normal rules. [coloe=yellow]What if at some point the only person for him to spar with was a female of the same level, why should he be allowed to stop her from bettering her skills against someone at her level?[/color]

And you have just made OGDB's point: his* freedom to believe that women are "unclean" or that he will, somehow, be "defiled" by touching one does NOT trump her right to enjoy equality of service, in every aspect, from the private class they both, voluntarily, joined.

If there are enough people who believe as he does then, undoubtedly, there will be martial arts classes that are segregated in whatever manner the customers wish. And if a woman decides, to prove a point, that she wants to join a male only class in which no one will touch her (fight against her) then, provided she understands the "house rules" before signing up, she is, or ought to be, SOL ... but sundry human rights commissions may disagree with me.

Our right to equality is, in my opinion, fundamental and nearly absolute, but so is our right to privacy, in fact I would argue ~ but many would disagree ~ that life, liberty, property and privacy are the four absolutely fundamental human rights that are innate, not man made or "given" by any agency. The rest may be rights, of sorts, but they can be "trumped" by the "Big 4" or amended to suit societal needs.

_____
* I'm assuming it is a Muslim of a certain sect or an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man.

I split off the tangent into property rights, as that can be a whole discussion onto itself.  Let's try to keep on track here.

BAck on topic then, I thought you would all be interested in this little legal article from Malinda Yuen, of Davis LLP:

http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/287226/Human+Rights/When+Freedom+of+Religion+Competes+with+Equality+Rights+A+Look+at+the+York+University+Controversy&email_access=on

So this guy didn't even name a specific religion and they just accommodated him?  Awesome, he's probably kicking himself in the ass for not asking for more.

ObedientiaZelum said:
So this guy didn't even name a specific religion and they just accommodated him?  Awesome, he's probably kicking himself in the ass for not asking for more.

Back to men in Kilts..... >:D

George Wallace said:
Back to men in Kilts..... >:D

Oh, George, George, George ... no one cares about men in kilts, well, maybe a handful of members. We, most of us, are pressing for compulsory this:

tilted-kilt-03-500-26.jpg

I can't see the forest car for some skirts.    :eek:rly:

I am offended by the gratuitous flaunting of an overbearing automotive culture.  That car contributes nothing to the discussion and has no redeeming social value.  Down with automotivism!

Back