• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Year of the Veteran Commercial

I'd just like to swing it back to the commercial and the original topic of the thread, and say "well done" to all who participated. At least the people I've spoken to have gained more understanding for what we do, without all the cheap politics we're seeing here. They see the commercial as recognition for our soldiers, young and old, and it makes them more aware, and they're saying "Thanks" and shaking hands and clapping. That can only be good. Thanks to Tess and the rest. :salute:

OK, you've got your schoolyard back, you can resume throwing sand around.

Dirt Digger said:
Nope.  All of the large, uniformed line drawings are of me.  The smaller ones in the "alternative exercises" section are myself and two other members of the Canadian Scottish (in 1999).  I got the "job' because I was working in the OR on a Class B contract.

I was actually very surprised when the final version came out with the hatchet job to his picture, because I personally would never allow anyone to alter my artwork like that (but when it's a contract, who knows).  I'm sure that somebody noticed that the male/female ratio of the pictures was off (even though I believe Kelly's wife is the female in the shots) and decided to make a change.  You can cleary see that they added a huge amount of facial detail that none of the other pictures have.

What really bugged me was that one picture was the one that I insisted he take.  Originally, the only "moving with a rifle" photo is one later in the guide that has the sling around the back of my neck.  I told him that nobody would ever carry a rifle that way and showed him the alternate method.  So I got morphed into a women for the good shot, and the weird sling carry still made it onto page 92...sheesh. 

And the arms got shrunk...well, you're a piece of history now either way.  Be sure and donate a signed copy to the National Archives; one day some bright young researcher will eat info like this up.

After reading through all the threads I seem to have found a pattern. Everyone has taken bits of the advert and come up with a particular thing that erks them.

a)Its just a commercial about a veteran coin so leave it at that.
b)Theres a woman soldier portrayed
c)Shes got dangly earings
d)her medals dont make sense

The purpose of a forum is to have civil discussions on a topic therefore without pro's and con's the discussion would get dry pretty fast. I think the thing that everyone can agree on is that the "PC" stance the media/government tends to portray will never change. What does get to the goats of CF members is inaccuracies in the portrayal of service men/women.

How many of you watched rambo before you got in and then after. You never noticed that endless m-60 belt before did you. We are a proud military and hate to see a slob or even a collar dog out of place when its shown to the public. And IMHO thats something to be proud of. I think we can all agree that its great to see vets and service members on tv but we will always be looking for that problem in the dress, wrong words of command or even the guy who's a little slow on the present arms.

Oh yeah, and howcome no one said anything about the sideburns on the hazy guy in the background of the commercial?  :)

Personally, I rather liked being represented by a fellow female CF member on the coin.  Perhaps the examples you've given have irritated some here (the $10 bill, etc.) but, in general, I find there isn't alot of representation that the public sees of females in uniform.  I've actually been mistaken for a cadet since the individual was certain there were no females in our military at all.  Another example, today at our Remembrance Day ceremony the esteemed chaplain proceeded to discuss "Men of valour" who had given up much to their country for us to live in freedom.  It was only about the third paragraph of her tirade where she finally mentioned "Men and other persons of  valour".  Well, I guess women just aren't born with that valour stuff.  At least I'm a person now, unlike years ago when I wasn't one.  Just splitting hairs here folks to fit in.  Let's just say I believe I felt the same degree of irritation that the rest of you have when discussing females veterans on the quarter. 

I really, really avoid these female/male discussion (for personal reasons) but I just had to make a comment regarding this one.  I agree that the dangly earrings should be gone. 

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
  Oh yeah, and howcome no one said anything about the sideburns on the hazy guy in the background of the commercial?   :)

They guy in the back with the kilt..yes, I did notice his haircut was rather "hollywood" like.

brin11 said:
Personally, I rather liked being represented by a fellow female CF member on the coin.  

I would have like to see a serving female CF member on the coin.

I gota chuck one more in.

Id rather see a decorated soldier (valour) and has been wounded in action. Someone who can bring credabilty to the position of standing beside a WW2 vet. There are enough of them and a better choice scroll up I vote for tess.

Its a great commercial but if we are going to do it lets just do the right thing and that honour should go to those that deserve and not an expediant recruiting ad for wowmen.

3rd Horseman said:
  Its a great commercial but if we are going to do it lets just do the right thing and that honour should go to those that deserve and not an expediant recruiting ad for wowmen.

I'm glad to see that you decide who deserves these honours.  ::)

HFXCrow said:
Shes is hot and fit!!!

Yep, and the only people in Canada that seem to be bothered about it are all right here. Not one civvie I know, who have favouable comments on the quarter, the commercial, etc could care less. They're gaining interest, respect and understanding. The end result is what really matters, not the execution.

Not just right here. Talking with my coworkers, I have yet to meet someone who likes the commercial.

But everyone likes the idea of the coin.

Hahaha oh lord have mercy.  Camochick check your pm's.  I have to at least share with one person here.

DME

Well sorry to shake up this "school yard shuffle", but I got a package in the mail.

Pictures, DVD, and a coin package with a letter of thanks...proud as punch hehe..decided to upload a pic of the crew from the commercial.

Hey look some people had bell bottoms, and who is that chap with the friggen side burns??....

I am second from left...in between Herb Pike and Ms. Mondou....

dileas

tess

BTW,

If anyone recognizes this fella , please PM me with info.

He Stated that he was a CApt. in the Navy.  I will pass on further info via pm if you know him, so as I can verify I have the right Chap...

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
BTW,

If anyone recognizes this fella , please PM me with info.

He Stated that he was a CApt. in the Navy.  I will pass on further info via pm if you know him, so as I can verify I have the right Chap...

dileas

tess

I don't know who he is, but that is the most perfectly formed beret I have ever laid eyes on!  :D

Hmm good answer...

Did Benny Hill spend time in Yugo doing Spec ops in the predecessor unit of JTF??

Apperrantly that is where you learn to where the beret that way, so recceguy and GO!! I would suggest you kewl the jets! whew, guys like that are to busy takin' care of bidness to "form" their berets..

dileas

tess

Really though, anyone recognize him?

GO!!! said:
I don't know who he is, but that is the most perfectly formed beret I have ever laid eyes on!  :D

Looks like a US soldier with a black beret.... ;D

the 48th regulator said:
...I am the blurry guy in the back ground with the Glengarry on,  no blue beret, regimental all the way.  But I guess if I did, maybe I would not have been so blurred...ah that is for another story hammy hamster..

dileas

tess

Tess,

1.  How can you be regimental in pants? ???  Doesn't that chafe with wool trousers?  ;D

2.  Hammy Hamster rocks!  (Well, him and GP and Matty Mouse and everybond else down on the Riverbank.....)

Cheers,
Duey

Duey said:
2.  Hammy Hamster rocks!  (Well, him and GP and Matty Mouse and everybond else down on the Riverbank.....)

Too bad his "voice" died last year (co-workers dad). 

Maybe the picture was taken with "a magic camera?"

Back