• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Year of the Veteran & commemorative pin to be worn by all CF pers

Whats your opinion of the " Year of the Veteran Pin worn by CF pers"

• Total voters
I wear this every Day 365 day's a year.

But I do see where Rick is coming from that those of us serving to day while wearing our Uniforms also remember every day what those who have gone before us have done for us here to day.

KOMODO said:
MAYBE THE DIRECTING STAFF SHOULD WATCH WHAT THEY SAY!!!!!!
ONE OF YOUR STAFF COMPARING THIS PIN TO A PRIZE IN A CRACKER JACK BOX!
IF YOUR GOING TO POST A THREAD BE PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE NEGATIVE AND THE POSITIVE.
THANKS INFANTEER(DIRECTING STAFF) FOR TELL A VETERAN TO PISS OF. IT SHOWS YOUR TRUE COLOURS.
Komodo, nowhere did you say you were a veteran. Your profile does not mention any service, and your mannerisms were suggestive of someone closer to my own age, which I assumed at first. If you want to be treated with respect for your past service then by all means you are welcome, but you have to notify us of that. Hence the 'profile' portion. It also brings into doubt your own remembrance of past veterans when you are not proud(?) enough to tell us upfront that you are one.

'Nuff said.
        NintendoNinjaJTF8snyper

My sincere apologies to anyone that I offended. I'm still serving strong and a proud member of the CF soon to be retired due to a serious Physical wound overseas. My tours include
1. Somalia(AB REGIMENT) , Rwanda, Zaire, Bosnia(3 RCR) and a few other tours I wish not to discuss.
Every one has the right to remember there Veterans in there own way. I was just ticked of
because some people had a hard ache with this pin.

Cheers
many apologies

Sniper 4 c k

Komodo, no problem - I think people were just attacking seperate concepts here and got their backs up.  Many fully support giving more to the vets, they only feel the pin is the wrong way to put energy into doing so.

Cheers and welcome to Army.ca.

Infanteer

Horse_Soldier said:
Just to keep the information 100% on track - it will not be worn on combats.   DEU only.   That information came from higher headquarters and was passed on by our RSM last night.

Here in Afgh...we got told it was to be worn....on cbt uniform...here in theater.

I am sure more direction will follow

BTW I think it is a great idea, but I'd rather see a larger patch or something, not a pin.

The "Official" message that has materialized, states that the pin will be worn on ALL uniforms (except GORTEX), above the name tag.   I have yet to actually see a live pin, anywhere...

The way I see it is that it costs me nothing, it takes no more than putting on my epaulet, it serves to identify a cause. I am a proud veteran and will have no problem making sure it is properly worn, according to protocol, according to direction by my chain of command, as stipulated by the CF CWO.

Plain and simple, it's an order from the top. It puts no one in harms way by wearing it. It's another uniform accoutrement. If you don't like it, tough. It's the order of the day. If you look at yourself as a true soldier, you'll do as directed. Get over it.

There's plenty more wrong with our military, without getting wrapped around the axle about trying to pay some sort of honour to the vets that deserve it and provided our heritage. Quit being so child like and accept that at least, for a change, someone is trying to recognize the sacrifice of the people gone before them.

Saying you pay homage to the Veteran's sacrifice by wearing a poppy once a year is bullshit. How many serving members, Reg and Reserve belong to the Legion. It's dying as fast as the original members. You should have joined and gone for your first beer the day after you got sworn in. Help perpetuate one of the few good causes we have left. Don't belong yet? Shame on you! In spades!

Veterans deserve every iota and possible chance of recognition we can afford. If one single veterans chest swells with pride, and he feels good about my little cracker jack pin, it's completely worth the effort.

I, for one, will not feel any the less of a soldier, to wear a pin, that brings joy and recognition to any vet that served when this country asked. I can only hope that when I'm in their shoes, others will feel the same.

Personally, I think that this thread is an affront and insult to the very people we are trying to recognise. Toss your crap excuses and bullshit all you want. You hurt only one group, and that's the Vets.

If your very, very lucky, one day you MAY be able to count yourselves within their ranks.

Recceguy, I think you're being unfair here.   I, along with others, have simply disagreed with a policy for a variety of reasons.   I don't see why we are getting tagged as "disrespectful" or "insulting" to Vets.

Of course we are going to throw the bauble on, just like we put on our TACVEST that the government says "wear".   No one is claiming that they're going to disobey an order - people are calling foul on something and they're free to do so without having their service or commitment called to task (not by you, Recceguy, but by others here).

I'm not keen on this because I see it as frivolous - especially if worn on a Combat uniform (which amounts to mechanic's coveralls).   Are these things going to make or break a vets day?

My girlfriends Grandfather is an old time rancher (80) and a vet.   He landed at Sicily, was wounded badly, and transfered to Northern Europe where he fought and finished the war.   He's adopted me as an "unofficial" grandson in many ways because of the simple fact that I, like you and others, are following in his footsteps by putting the uniform on.   He loves to have a beer with me and just tell some stories or hear some of the things we do now.   He's not looking at the uniform to see if we got something for "Year of the Veteran" - the uniform is enough for these guys.

"Year of the Veteran" is silly - every year is "Year of the Veteran".   This is a dynamic and ever-present group of Canadians, so we always need to keep them at the forfront of national recognition.   We choose to represent the sacrifice of both the living and the dead with the poppy.   You can call that bullshit - but I along with many others go out of our way to buy a new one everyday around November because they tend to fall off all the time.   Many Canadians will do this - I know because I've stood in the rain and sold them to people.   Don't sell the poppy short.

Again, I feel "Year of the Veteran" is silly - I'm going to agree with Teddy Ruxpin that there seems to be some fishy motivation behind the whole show.   Soldiers wearing combats are the last people that need to be reminded of the sacrifices of those who came before them - they understand and recognize this every morning on the way to work when they march past their Regimental Colours.   I stated in my "gripe" that I would rather see the political and material energy put towards a better method of recognizing Canada's veterans.

Anyways, I just wanted to point this out, as it seemed that those on the "nay" side (myself included) were getting the shaft for seeing things different.

Infanteer - Full Legion Member since Nov/04.

I never said wearing the Poppy was bullshit. I said the people that put it on once a year and forget the Vets the other 364 is bullshit.

As to the pin, like I say, it cost me nothing to purchase or time to put it on. If ONE Vet feels good for it, it's worth it.

Maybe I was heavy handed saying the thread was insulting and I apologize. I just can't see why there would be so much adversity to the pin. I see nothing wrong with it. My 00.02, that's all

I am glad to see that CF members like Infanteer are members of the Royal Canadian Legion! :salute:
We can all agree that it is important to remember the Veterans everyday and every year, not just during the Year of the Veteran, correct?
I am a Legion member myself and have marched in parades with both WW2 and present-day veterans,
and am honoured to be associated with these people.

I am proud to be associated with the Legion as a member and though I have never worn the CF uniform,
I can serve my community by wearing the Legion uniform with great pride.

I am wearing the Legion uniform not only to support the Legion itself, but in memory of my grandfather and
father. By doing so, I hope to honour their memory as they deserve my respect by serving during war(and in my
father's case, during wartime and peacetime.)

Again, thank you Infanteer and to others who have joined the Royal Canadian Legion! :salute:

I think I may have mentioned this several months ago and, if I did, I was, most likely, bombarded with irate replies.   That being said, the purpose of the poppy is twofold:

"¢ To raise money for veterans in need; and

"¢ To quote the Royal Canadian Legion, to serve as â ?...   a symbol of tribute to the more than 117,000 Canadians who have died in the service of the country ...â ?

I am only mildly perturbed although a bit more perplexed at the very, very large number of Canadians who think that the poppy and, more important, Remembrance Day, is all about our veterans.   Not so; Remembrance Day is about those who did not become veterans; they didn't live long enough to become veterans; they were (mostly) killed in action; they are those who â ?...shall not grow old: as we that are left grow old.   Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.â ?

I'm a fan of Veterans' Memorial Highways and veteran's vanity plates and pins, for that matter.   Veterans have earned our respect and gratitude and it is right and proper that we honour them, just as they - the veterans, themselves - established our Remembrance Day traditions so that they, and we, could honour our war dead.   November 11th is when we all, veterans, serving soldiers and civilians alike, pay tribute to a (thankfully) small but select group of Canadians: our nations's finest.   It is all about them.

Have been reading everyones opion on this so lets put it to a vote.

I think everybody has made their stance clear....

I like the pin...I like the concept. What I don't like is that they want us to wear it here in Afghanistan, where wh hang around nobody but other soldiers, to wear the pin. I hope when I am wearing my body armour, I am 'allowed' to take it off, so it doesn't dig into my chest.

I can't remember the last time I "wormed" something.  How can a word like worn be screwed up so bad.  Screw spending money on remembering veterans lets spend it on sending people back to school.

Horse_Soldier said:
Just to keep the information 100% on track - it will not be worn on combats. DEU only. That information came from higher headquarters and was passed on by our RSM last night.
I've only seen this pin a few times.   Every time it was being worn on combats.

PIKER said:
The pin will be proudly worn henceforth until the end of the year by all members of the CF. The pins will be issued as soon as possible via the office of the Canadian Forces Chief Warrant Officer.
What budget is the money coming from for these?   Is it from the Heritage minister, Veterans Affairs, or is it being cut from CF funds?

Edward Campbell said:
That being said, the purpose of the poppy is twofold:

"¢ To raise money for veterans in need;
Where is the money for this going?

Lastly,
Edward Campbell said:
I am only mildly perturbed although a bit more perplexed at the very, very large number of Canadians who think that the poppy and, more important, Remembrance Day, is all about our veterans.   Not so; Remembrance Day is about those who did not become veterans; they didn't live long enough to become veterans; they were (mostly) killed in action; they are those who â ?...shall not grow old: as we that are left grow old.   Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.â ?
Michael Dorosh said:
a) it implies we have forgotten about the vets (not just we in the military, but the country. I was led to believe Rememberance Day attendance has been up in recent years.)

d) it also implies that once we remember the vets for a year, we can go back to forgetting about them. No, let's put HISTORY back on the curriculum in schools, then maybe people will know what the hell it is they're supposed to be remembering.

What would you choose as a lasting legacy to our veterans?
What about an annual Veterans Day that is separate from Remembrance Day?  :cdn:

Good constructive post, McG, and a good question (suggestion).

I don't feel we need a seperate day for Veterans.  Rememberance Day, to me, encompasses both, though Mr. Campbell has a good point in that originally (perhaps still) it was meant to honour the dead, not the quick.

We have entire weeks devoted to Gay Pride, we have Mother's Day, Father's Day, 10 days of Stampede in Calgary, you name it, we have a day for it.  I can't see making another "day" into anything special, frankly, no matter how well deserved.

No, I think it is something each Canadian should choose to do on their own.  If they are informed enough to honour veterans in their own way, they'll do so - a picture in a wallet, a framed set of medals in the home, or buying a beer for a serviceman in a pub.  I don't think we (they) should be in the position of asking for any more than that.

What we SHOULD do is entrench Rememberance Day once again as a national day to commemorate sacrifice - stop these asshole corporate bigwigs from giving extra time off at Christmas if you work on November 11th, close the effing malls and grocery stores, and actually stop and remember.  What each Canadian chooses to remember should be up to them.  Arm them in school with enough info to make an informed choice.

Why the hell is there a need to raise money for veterans in need?  Where hell is the government that is suppose to look after the people who served their country?

This is from the Legion's web site at: http://www.legion.ca/asp/docs/about/rempop_e.asp

More than $4 million in campaign funds are also distributed annually in accordance with the rules in place. Some of the activities supported are:
1. Assistance to needy veterans and their dependents.
2. The purchase of community medical appliances and the provision of medical research bursaries to the children and grand children of veterans.
3. The funding of day care centres for adults, meals on wheels, transport and related services.
4. The purchase, construction and maintenance of housing and care facilities for the elderly and disabled.
5. 0peration of the Dominion Command Service Bureau.

Part of the Legion's self inflicted role is to lobby government for better benefits for veterans â “ acting much as a trade union does for workers.   Lobbying is not something that someone does for 'free' â “ it costs real money to design and mount 'communication' projects which aim to get you and I to complain to our MPs about veterans' problems and to get the press to pick up on those complaints.

kincanucks said:
Screw spending money on remembering veterans lets spend it on sending people back to school.

All this bitching and moaning over a little remembrance pin, nefarious plots by the government and that statement "Screw spending money on vets..." WTF is your major malfunction? You are an officer in the CF right not some other country? (gotta be from Ont) You'd think they were asking us to wear a Nazi party pin. As for the rest of you, if your in the militia you only have to wear it two evenings a week and the occasional weekend, as for the regs I'll be proud to wear anything that reminds us and others of our vets past and present. Soldier on and quit whining

Back