• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

XM8 and Canada

Here's a good little sales brochure fo the upgrade:  http://nic.wolfeden.ca/c7a2rifle.pdf

I like the TRIAD rail system under the front sight. Nice place for a harris bipod or a surefire light.

48th,

Sorry I call BS on some of that - barrels - longer life - not likely Deimaco is cold hammer forging them already - unless HK's cold hammer forges (which are the SAME make as Diemaco's) is using some space alien alloys...

I have seen G36 that are cracked and worthless I spoke with more than one Norwegian SF soldier in Afghan - they are junking the G36 for the C8SFW - in fact they are usign the G3K currently until they can get the C8's...  The XM-8 is just a tarted up G36.  The gas system is nothing wonderful - I saw the XM-8R(M1913 rail variant) and was incredbily underwhelmed.
Stock SUCKS
Body - more plastic than a G36....

I would not buy it at all.

Even the German SF guys where using M4's and SFW's in Afghan...
  That was pretty telling to me.

McAllister - the front sling swivel has to be "removed" (ahem) to make use of the M1913 rail on the bottom of the TRIAD-I and they suck BTW

You could be right.  The XM8 boasts a 20,000 round minimum barrel life, however, I haven't been able to find any statistics on the C7 barrel life to compare.  I know that the C7 has a longer barrel life than the original M16, as does the XM8, but I'm not sure exactly how they compare to eachother.  The XM8 DOES use special alloys but once again I'm not sure which.  From the reviews and releases I've read, the strength of the barrel has been improved to the extent that it's possible (although not advisable) to fire it with the barrel clogged.  I know you can't do that with the C7, so I assume that a stronger barrel also translates to a longer life span, but that's just an uneducated guess.

Keep in mind that the XM8 may be based on the G36 but it's no more a G36 than a C7 is an AR15.

48th,

I consider the AR15 to be close enough to the C7 that I would not want anything that close to the G36...

Secondly I know a few people in the XM-8 test arena and the "Modular Weapons System" solicitation came up from several flaws in the XM-8 - I think that the SuperFNC SCAR-L is a better thought up system that still uses off the shelf optics and accessories.

The other problem with the XM-8 is that its 12" bbl version has worse terminal performance (velocity) than the 14.5" M4 bbl - 30M to bullet fragementation versus 45M for the M4 and 95M for the SFW (16")
And the 12" XM-8 is the same lenght as the M4A1.

IF the XM-8 were to be viable as an infantry weapon then the C77/M855/SS109 round has to be replaced - either with the Mk262 Mod1 77gr BTHP OR (another unproven system) the 6.8x43 SPC round.

I'll take your word for it, I've never handled a G36 or an XM8.  The demos of the XM8 I've seen are pretty impressive, but without actually using one I can't really form an accurate opinion.

I've seen pictures of the SuperFNC.  Looks strange, and I've never seen any stats on it.

I deffinitely agree with the barrel length problem on the carbine variant.  Not so much of a problem against unarmored insurgents in a FIBUA environment, but if you want to be able to handle different types of targets and environments you should be aiming for at least a 14.5" barrel.  I also agree with the ammo issue.  Actually when the C7A2 first came up here I remember saying something like "god forbid they do something USEFULL" and posting a link to the Barrett upper receiver conversion for the M16.  That's another system I wouldn't mind seing, however, switching to 6.8mm would probably be even more costly than buying 5.56mm XM8's, as well as making our rifles incompatible with the NATO standard.

the front sling swivel has to be "removed" (ahem) to make use of the M1913 rail on the bottom of the TRIAD-I and they suck BTW
Brutal. Did not know that. How is the sling attached on the A2? I don't want to have to trust some kind of 'makeshift' sling swivel.

Hey, speaking of the m468 upper reciever conversion, does that Selective Integrated Rail make the barrel somewhat more free floating than a c7 barrel? I also like those pop-up SOPMOD iron sights. The conversion kit is listed at $1,494 US. How much for a C7A2 kit?   ...I know, I know, we'll never buy this fun Barrett stuff.... A man can dream... :'(

Anyone else hate the red thingie they've put in the lower receiver behind the tigger mech to reduce receiver jiggle in the C7? At some point over the summer a few of my unit's rifles (A1s) magically got them, and I've found field strips to be a pain in the rear with them. Used to be I could pop the rear takedown pin with my fingers, but because the red thing causes friction on the pin, I need a pen ora knife blade to do it now... Looks like another RMF upgrade... :(

Nope I like it actually.  It is designed to reduce the play between the lower and upper reciever, hence the need for a tool to open up the weapon.  It actually gets easier as it gets work in, but still holds the upper and lower reciever nice and tight.

MJP said:
Nope I like it actually.   It is designed to reduce the play between the lower and upper reciever, hence the need for a tool to open up the weapon.   It actually gets easier as it gets work in, but still holds the upper and lower reciever nice and tight.

Mike just likes it so no one opens his weapon up and sees he did not clean it for three months in Afghan...

;D

j/k

It is both a blessing and a curse - some guns that were very worn would flop open - the tension while doing zero for accuracy (the sight is on the same plane as the barrel (unlike the C1A1 where we had the rear sight on the lower and the front sight on the upper...)  It does seem to improve solider confidence - which improves the shooter psychologically.

McAllister - the SIR (#58 in this case) does not touch the barrel at ALL - so the upper is freefloated from the barrel nut forward - thus any weight transfered to the forestock or any accessory you add or subtract will not alter your zero.  (look ay my webpage for a bit more detail...)
6.8 came and went - the 77gr Mk262 has done much of what was found wanting in the M855/C77 round in the same platform (6.8 has teething issues and more...)

FWIW HKD sold the XM-8 to General Dynamics - Land.

GD-L is the father of the LandWarrior system  ::) - Those who have played the game at Benning know what I mean that I think XM-8 is now an even more unviable option for the next few (10 or so) years.

The US MWS (modual weapon system) solicitation will be the one to watch.
M4A1 PIP
SCAR-L
XM-8

The three basic options - and many subgroups of the M4 PIP system....

Speaking of future weapon systems, when is the army going to issue the rifle from Starship Troopers?  You know the one that looks like the OICW and shoots .50 cal. rounds with nickel plated cases and black moly coated bullets?  Hey, and maybe those 'nuke warehead missle launchers to replace the Carl G....... 

New weapon system?   http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/Aliens_papirove_modely/papercraft/m41.html    :skull: Is that an old thompson under all that junk?     :threat:

Back