• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

XM8 and Canada

canuck#1

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the Army is thinking about adopting the XM8 in the years to come or stick with the c7

http://www.hksystems.com.au/pages/XM8.htm

Why would they adopt the XM8 in two years when they are upgrading the C7's right now?

The U.S. army is gonna switch to the xm8 sometime in 2005. Never heard anything about the CF and the xm8 yet.

Changing the colour and adding a collapsable butt.

You know what they say...if it's not broken, break it....if it's broken, paint it and call it an overhaul.

They're upgrading the C7A1 to C7A2 standard.

AS FAR AS I KNOW  (Correct me if I'm wrong guys) -

-  They are keeping the Elcan scope

-  They are making other kinds of scopes more available for deployment (Noticed some of the guys in A-Stan have ACOG on their mounts).

-  The butt is going to be adjustable, like on the M4/C8.

-  The barrel will be kept the same length, but the furniture will be painted green/brown instead of black.

-  The pistol grip will also be painted depending on the environment.  (Mostly green though I think).

-  More attachments, such as SureFire TAC lights and IR LAI gear on the rails.

I could have missed something, but thats the gist of it.

If the CF upgrading all the C7a1s now that would mean they woudn't be getting the XM8 within the next two years.

Dont hold your breath on the XM-8 boondoggle.
It came out of the OICW project - as an attempt to find something out of that multimillion dollar waste of resources and time.

It despite many official sounding announcements has not been adopted nor even approved for unit level testing.

The CF is not looking for another SARP for 10-15 years -
the C7A2 is moving ahead - reg force 031's will get the C8SFW upper in addition.

The XM-8 is a clever way for HK to sell more of the G-36 rifles (look very closely and you will see the family resemblance)

M16 you are making an assumption that the CF is going to get the XM8 or is even considering it.

What is a C8SFW? I know what a C8 is but what does the SFW stand for?

SFW - Special Forces Weapon
16" heavy bbl (as opposed to 14.5" pencil bbl on the C8 and C8A1)

The 1.5" bbl increase does tremendous things to the velocity (same gain from 14.5 to 16" as the gain from 16" to 20" of the C7...)

The one big thing, is that when all the C7A1's go in fo this upgrade, all the springs are removed and replaced, and any worn parts, are replaced as well, so it is very close to a new weapon.

foerestedwarrior said:
The one big thing, is that when all the C7A1's go in fo this upgrade, all the springs are removed and replaced, and any worn parts, are replaced as well, so it is very close to a new weapon.

Umm no they aren't,our so called brand new C7A2 rifle's are the same worn out rifles that some unit turned in when they got their new rifles.The only changes are cosmetic in nature,same shot out barrels,worn finish,and busted/worn springs.Mine came with a broken ejection port spring. This project is a fiasco of the highest order,instead of actually listening to the end user they gave us a rifle designed to meet the lowest possible price.

48Highlander said:
Changing the colour and adding a collapsable butt.

You know what they say...if it's not broken, break it....if it's broken, paint it and call it an overhaul.

LOL HOLLY SHIT that's tooooooooooooo funny.................God I love the army.

But seriously, the new XM8 costs less than a M16/C7 and we want to sink money on upgrades? Maybe next we can upgread our Leos, and then the SeaKings.....and so on....

MG34 said:
Umm no they aren't,our so called brand new C7A2 rifle's are the same worn out rifles that some unit turned in when they got their new rifles.The only changes are cosmetic in nature,same shot out barrels,worn finish,and busted/worn springs.Mine came with a broken ejection port spring. This project is a fiasco of the highest order,instead of actually listening to the end user they gave us a rifle designed to meet the lowest possible price.

AND this folks is unfortunately TRUE.
The did not even inspect some barrels... Either shot out or the muzzle crown was ruined.

nismo0 - the XM-8 is not cheaper - maybe per unit but we already have a hundred k of the C7/C8 - why buy a new unproved (infact the systems borther the g36 sucks...) system.  Plus add in spare parts, mags are not interchangeable - cost of changing manuals etc...

Beleive me if I thought the XM-8 was a better system I woudl be banging the wall for change - in the C8SFW we have a good system that with a little work (read$) can be upgraded into the best deployed system available on the planet.

KevinB said:
AND this folks is unfortunately TRUE.
The did not even inspect some barrels... Either shot out or the muzzle crown was ruined.

nismo0 - the XM-8 is not cheaper - maybe per unit but we already have a hundred k of the C7/C8 - why buy a new unproved (infact the systems borther the g36 sucks...) system.  Plus add in spare parts, mags are not interchangeable - cost of changing manuals etc...

Beleive me if I thought the XM-8 was a better system I woudl be banging the wall for change - in the C8SFW we have a good system that with a little work (read$) can be upgraded into the best deployed system available on the planet.

They'd be cheaper in the long run.  The barrels can handle a higher rate of fire for longer periods, and have a much longer life-span, which means you don't have to get new ones as often.  The cycle of operation is improved so that MUCH less carbon and dirt enters the mechanism, meaning less cleaning time and materials, and also less wear on the weapon.  Yeah it'd be more expensive in the short term, but it'd save a lot of cash in the long run.

I don't think the XM-8 should be bought the way it is though.  The integrated optics are a bad idea, even if it does same you from having to re-zero your weapon every few weeks.  I don't like the fact that it doesn't work with the m-203, or any other devices which can be attached to the C7.  With the right modifications though, I think it'd be a heck of a lot better than the C7.  Especially if they went with the carbine version as standard issue for infantry.  The reduced weight and shorter length would be a huge help for FIBUA.

Back