• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WWII Bomber pilot gets 1.1M award settlement

reccecrewman

Inactive
Reaction score
Cliff Winsell, a Second World War Lancaster bomber pilot has been awarded a 1.1 million dollar payment from DND.  He retired in 1961 and was denied a full pension, and has been appealing it since that time.  An ombudsman looked into his case and decided that he had been unfairly rejected and Mr. Winsell was awarded the 1.1M.  Mr. Winsell is from Windsor, Ontario and was quite happy with the decision, and by his demeanor on the news, didn't hold any animosity.

Always nice to see our Vets get something good come their way, even if it was long overdue - it is most definitely deserved.  To you Mr. Winsell -  :salute:

Regards

I can remember seeing this on the news awhile back, it was hard to understand why he was rejected. Nice to see him get his due but I still wonder why it took this long. Could it be that he was a brit seconded and not a Cdn thus he was appling to the wrong DVA? Just a question as no other issue seems plausible to refuse him. Be nice if we knew, anyone see any details on it?

Finally some justice for this Vet, but long, long overdue, and shame on our government for holding out so bloody long.

Regards,

Wes

Saw an interview with him this afternoon.  He's going to be taxed at 47% on it...... ::)

47%? Y'know, just when it looked like they were doing something decent for the man...............  :brickwall:    Heaven forbid they don't get their precious tax dollars.  I mean, after all, he only risked his life day in, day out, flying over Fortress Europe................  It never fails.

Regards

Worn Out Grunt said:
This should be of huge interest to all who were forcebily demobilized after the war.

It was an extraordinary case, and probably the only case.

Good to see a veteran getting what he rightfully deserves.

He has already had to do without the benefit of the pension and the uses to which he might have put it over that time.  Presumably the payment is in lieu of 40-odd years of foregone payments, so why don't they average the lump over the period and tax it at the applicable rate based on that?  Insult over injury.  Once again the dead and unimaginitive hand of a bureaucrat triumphs.

What's sickening is that the monthly payment received is not taxed so why are they doing to his lump sum?

dileas

tess

The Gov should not tax this man in a one lump sum if they have to  tax than tax the  interest. The man risked his life for queen and country and freedom to do this to him now after he final gets what he deserves is adding insult to injury

No, certainly not extradinory; over 1,000,000 troops were told to pack it in.... my father included, with 4 years war services at triple time... that's 12 years pensionable.  With a bit of PTSD, the government can finally suck it up, buttercup.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to this fellow at the 400 Squadron Black Velvet dinner last December, and didn't clue in to who he was until about halfway through. He'd got his apology by then, but not the money - and at 83 he was somewhat anxious to get it sooner rather than later.

Back