• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Writing to the troops (merged)

Is there a Canada Post link anyone found yet to bring forward to our local post offices to streamline any problems that might be encountered while trying to use this service? I couldn't find one?

Yes you are right it says in the email that it will be between October 26th and January 7th I believe.
As far as it being full of crap, i find it hard not to belive this email as I received it from the Retail operations manager of Canada Post in Ottawa. He is the father in law of my family member who is presently in Kandahar.
Asking now if there is a Canada Post link... No,I have not found one either. That is why I wondered if anyone else was aware of this.
I have emailed the guy from Canada Post who sent me this email to get more info but have not yet heard back.

Dang! The address I have is 5058 - maybe they'll let it go for free anyway.

Haven't seen anything on the CF or Canada Post site - am e-mailing both to see if there's anything to this.  Will share responses.

More, as it comes in....

A news release I recieved in my inbox from the Department of Military Family Services.

Canada Post offers free parcel service to families of deployed troops

OTTAWA (October 24, 2006 ) — Canada Post today announced it will provide free parcel service for family and friends of deployed Canadian troops for the holiday season.  Effective October 26 through January 15, 2007 Canada Post will deliver parcels free of charge to designated Canadian Forces Bases, where they will be forwarded through the Canadian Forces postal system to our troops overseas.

“We are pleased the Department of National Defense accepted our offer to send regular parcels, free of charge, from anywhere in Canada to members of the Canadian Forces deployed overseas during the holiday season”, said Moya Greene, president and Chief Executive Officer of Canada Post.  “It is our way of recognizing and supporting our troops and their families during this special time of year when separation is often most keenly felt.”

With capacity limitations on military aircraft carrying supplies to deployed forces, this offer is restricted to family and friends of the servicemen and women serving in Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sinai and Jerusalem. Troops serving on any of the deployed Her Majesty’s Canadian Ships are also included in the offer. 

“We sincerely appreciate Canada Post’s generosity in offering this free parcel service,” said the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Rick Hillier. “The importance of helping our troops overseas remain connected with their loved ones in Canada cannot be understated, especially during this time of year.”

To ensure the proper customs declaration form and addressing information, the parcels will need to be deposited at a Canada Post or dealer retail outlet (not a street letter box) where they will be forwarded to Canadian Forces Bases in Halifax, NS, Victoria, BC and Belleville, ON. Once delivered to the military bases, the Department of National Defence will take charge of the parcels and ensure their delivery overseas. Parcels must be addressed to a specific soldier, including rank and mission information.

- 30 –

For more information, contact:
Media Relations

613 734-8888

UNCLAS CANFORGEN 154 CANOSCOM 025
SIC ZDA
BILINGUAL MESSAGE / MESSAGE BILINGUE
CANADA POST - FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF DEPLOYED CF MEMBERS

1. CANADA POST WILL PROVIDE FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF DEPLOYED CF MEMBERS FROM 26 OCT 06 TO 15 JAN 07. PARCELS WILL BE DELIVERED FREE OF CHARGE FROM ANY CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET TO DESIGNATED CF BASES, WHERE THEY WILL BE FORWARDED THROUGH
THE CF POSTAL SYSTEM TO CF MEMBERS OVERSEAS

2. DUE TO CARGO LIMITATIONS ON MILITARY FLIGHTS, THIS OFFER IS RESTRICTED TO THOSE OPERATIONS SERVED BY THE BELLEVILLE ONTARIO K8N 5W6 ADDRESS AND TO ANY DEPLOYED CDN SHIP. THIS OFFER IS FOR REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE ONLY AND DOES NOT INCLUDE LETTER OR CARD MAIL

3. PARCELS MUST BE ADDRESSED TO A SPECIFIC CF MEMBER, CLEARLY IDENTIFYING RANK, INTIALS, NAME AND OPERATION

4. TO ENSURE PARCELS HAVE PROPER CUSTOMS DECLARATION FORMS AND CORRECT ADDRESSING INFO, ALL PARCELS MUST BE DEPOSITED AT A CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET. PARCELS DEPOSITED IN STREET LETTER BOXES WILL NOT BE DELIVERED

Since my sweetie and I send care packages anyway, I think we'll be sending LOTS more between now and January....  Anybody in AFG from Thunder Bay - feel free to PM me, and we'll see what we can do for you.

Hat's off to Canada Post (even if they're soon going to be issuing stamps with no price on them to help deal with rate increases)!

Found out yesterday that there was a Can Forg( I believe thtas how it's spelt) thta was sent around the base in Petawawa saying that this program has received approval.  We are now able to send parcels to our troops for christmas free of charge! Yeah!!! Hope everyone makes sure that their post office is also doing this.

Canada post is offering free shipping for mil. families sending packages to loved ones overseas. 

R@chel

Is this a sign or something?  I am sure that you can read and if you look way up to the top of this short page, you will notice that your information is already posted there.

Infidel-6 said:
I'd say its full of crap.

I sent some stuff out today to a buddy in Kandahar via Box 5058 and paid $37 for it...

Hey Kevin, are you back in Canuckistan now? Nothing new here in Ground Hog Day land.

$37CAD for shipping??? Plus GST??? I wonder who's profiting from this. Shame on Canada Post!

Thats outragous that there is only NOW going to be free postage and its only a TEMPORARY!!!!. Personally I find it in bad taste, and question why this was not actioned earlier. There is no reason why this cannot continue beyond January. Sure, place a weight restriction similiar to how its done by the Aust Post, and they are not even government run. Its all franchiased, but I am sure the gov't gets the bill somehow, and thats taxes well spent as far as I am concerned. Support the troops, and not just for 9 or 10 weeks!

We are entitled free shipping to and from Australia for all letters and parcels up to 2kg, and pay only 'freight to Sydney' if over, so its still cheap even for parcels up to 20kg.

This is not a new policy, and its been around for over 40 yrs. It has been Australian postal policy for all deployed troops to recieve free mail in coming and out going.  Now that's support! Come on Canada Post, get your arses in gear and extend this past 07 Jan 07.

Canada Post should allow free shipping to all CF deployed anywhere, and keep this an open policy for as long as there is deployments.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Wes

Believe the hype:
This is a Canada Post News Release

Canada Post offers free parcel service
to families of deployed troops

OTTAWA (October 24, 2006)—Canada Post today announced it will provide free parcel service for family and friends of deployed Canadian troops for the holiday season.  Effective October 26 through January 15, 2007 Canada Post will deliver parcels free of charge to designated Canadian Forces Bases, where they will be forwarded through the Canadian Forces postal system to our troops overseas.

“We are pleased the Department of National Defense accepted our offer to send regular parcels, free of charge, from anywhere in Canada to members of the Canadian Forces deployed overseas during the holiday season”, said Moya Greene, president and Chief Executive Officer of Canada Post.  “It is our way of recognizing and supporting our troops and their families during this special time of year when separation is often most keenly felt.”

With capacity limitations on military aircraft carrying supplies to deployed forces, this offer is restricted to family and friends of the service men and women serving in Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sinai and Jerusalem. Troops serving on any of the deployed Her Majesty’s Canadian Ships are also included in the offer. 

“We sincerely appreciate Canada Post’s generosity in offering this free parcel service,” said the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Rick Hillier. “The importance of helping our troops overseas remain connected with their loved ones in Canada cannot be understated, especially during this time of year.”

To ensure the proper customs declaration form and addressing information, the parcels will need to be deposited at a Canada Post or dealer retail outlet (not a street letter box) where they will be forwarded to Canadian Forces Bases in Halifax, NS, Victoria, BC and Belleville, ON. Once delivered to the military bases, the Department of National Defence will take charge of the parcels and ensure their delivery overseas. Parcels must be addressed to a specific soldier, including rank and mission information.

100% above board - here you go
CANFORGEN 154-06 - CANOSCOM - 240948Z OCT 06 - CANADA POST - FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF DEPLOYED CF MEMBERS

CANADA POST WILL PROVIDE FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF DEPLOYED CF MEMBERS FROM 26 OCT 06 TO 15 JAN 07. PARCELS WILL BE DELIVERED FREE OF CHARGE FROM ANY CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET TO DESIGNATED CF BASES, WHERE THEY WILL BE FORWARDED THROUGH THE CF POSTAL SYSTEM TO CF MEMBERS OVERSEAS
DUE TO CARGO LIMITATIONS ON MILITARY FLIGHTS, THIS OFFER IS RESTRICTED TO THOSE OPERATIONS SERVED BY THE BELLEVILLE ONTARIO K8N 5W6 ADDRESS AND TO ANY DEPLOYED CDN SHIP. THIS OFFER IS FOR REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE ONLY AND DOES NOT INCLUDE LETTER OR CARD MAIL

PARCELS MUST BE ADDRESSED TO A SPECIFIC CF MEMBER, CLEARLY IDENTIFYING RANK, INTIALS, NAME AND OPERATION

TO ENSURE PARCELS HAVE PROPER CUSTOMS DECLARATION FORMS AND CORRECT ADDRESSING INFO, ALL PARCELS MUST BE DEPOSITED AT A CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET. PARCELS DEPOSITED IN STREET LETTER BOXES WILL NOT BE DELIVERED

PoPo

PoPo said:
TO ENSURE PARCELS HAVE PROPER CUSTOMS DECLARATION FORMS AND CORRECT ADDRESSING INFO, ALL PARCELS MUST BE DEPOSITED AT A CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET. PARCELS DEPOSITED IN STREET LETTER BOXES WILL NOT BE DELIVERED

Make damn sure you get the green sticker and the white duplicate one as well. I shipped a package today and the clerk did not understand why I needed one when the box was going to Belleville. She finally clued in, so make sure.

Greetings,
Can a person send a closed and sealed envelope addressed to "Any Canadian Soldier" op Archer? The official website is unclear. The front page says it is ok... the second page says postcards only. Thanks very much.
northof60lady

My read of it was postcards, I think the reasoning was they wanted to make sure that the soldiers did not receive anything naughty of hateful. I agree the page needs re-writing.

That's my understanding as well - no "Any Canadian Servicemember" packages allowed, either.

Just got this via official means:

Parcels to deployed members of the Canadian Forces to be delivered free of charge

The Department of National Defence (DND) has accepted Canada Post's offer to provide family and friends of Canadian Forces members serving overseas with free Regular Parcel service during the upcoming holiday season. This is Canada Post's way of recognizing and supporting our deployed troops and their families and friends during this difficult time.

Starting October 26, 2006 through, January 15, 2007, Canada Post will deliver care packages from family and friends of our deployed troops, free of charge, to the Halifax, Victoria and Belleville Canadian Forces Bases. Once delivered to the designated Military Base, the DND J4 Postal Operations will take charge of the parcels and ensure their delivery.

In order to ensure the proper customs declaration form and addressing information, parcels need to be deposited at a Retail Post Office and not in Street Letter Boxes. Items will be accepted and delivered as per Chapter 12 - Canadian Forces Mail - of the Canadian Postal Guide. Parcels must be addressed to a specific soldier, including rank and mission information.
Thank you, Canada Post!

Sent off five care packages fulla magazines, Timmie's gift certificates and the like - saved TONS of cash (although one of the packages, for some glitchy reason, cost $1.06).  Works well!

Back