• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Writing to the troops (merged)

LucyInTheSky

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been searching for some time, trying to find any lists of our Canadian troops overseas who are looking for pen pals back home.  I found lots of info on US military troops, but nothing at all for our Canadian boys & girls other than a standard message board on the DND.

Can anyone tell me whether there is a way to find out whether some of our overseas troops are looking for pen pals?

Thanks,
Lucy

There is nowhere I know of. But by posting up on this site, you have put the word out you are looking. Stick around a couple months and I am sure you'll find someone.

Thank you, I hope someone here will be able to pass along the info.

Do the overseas troops check this message board?

LucyInTheSky said:
Thank you, I hope someone here will be able to pass along the info.

Do the overseas troops check this message board?

theres a bunch that are over right now they come on here alot.

Try sending one to Any Canadian Soldier on any of the Operations listed on this link

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/messageboard/addresses_e.asp

Fdtrucker said:
Try sending one to Any Canadian Soldier on any of the Operations listed on this link

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/messageboard/addresses_e.asp

Thank you, I did see that option - but I'd prefer to write to a particular person actually wanting correspondence, instead of sending randomly.

I would be interested as well. Lucy is right I couldn't find anything either other than the DND site. I know they may perfer email to snailmail. But it is nicer sometimes to write a letter. Thank you for starting and sharing this information forum.

Also perhaps if anyone that is looking at this forum and does want to start writing. Please send me an email with your address (email or snailmail) My email is nrb038@yahoo.com .  Please be assured that I am not looking for a relationship, I am happily in one!!

When I was in Kandahar in 2002, we had a bunch of letters distributed that we were 'asked' to answer.  The SSM gave me one in particular because he thought I was the only one in the Sqn 'closest in age to the writer' (I was 47).  So I wrote back thanking her for the letter, and telling her my wife and son, were looking out for my morale.

Her next letter had photos....

My wife was amused.

;D

Tom

Photos of her itsy bitsy cute little dog I'll bet  :rofl:

I have to admit I'm a bit dubious about this "I just want to write to a soldier".  If you want to send your best wishes to the troops, the links have been provided. This is not a dating service.

:-\

NavComm said:
Photos of her itsy bitsy cute little dog I'll bet  :rofl:

I have to admit I'm a bit dubious about this "I just want to write to a soldier".  If you want to send your best wishes to the troops, the links have been provided. This is not a dating service.

:-\
That's what I was thinking at first. But it's not like a soldier can't say no, or can just not reply. I'm sure some guys overseas wouldn't mind having someone to come to after their 6 months. :D

My husband actually had a family adopt him for his tour in 2002. They sent him food and letters and a ton of stuff.  It sure boosted his moral.  He was overseas with a few guys that did not get anything, and his mom would send an extra package for them. 

Elisha

I remember some of my soldiers in Banja Luka did not receive any sort of letter, card or gift from their Home Unit (despite this being a winter deployment and being stuck there at Christmas) until their RSM got a sharp email from our side of the pond.

Soldiers should have multiple lines back home; their families, their friends and their units. This isn't to knock well wishers who would also like to write and otherwise support the troops, but perhaps this should work in the other direction; well wishers can let people know they are here (maybe even on this board if Mike agrees), and then soldiers who might be a bit "thin on the ground" as far as correspondence from home goes can choose to write if they want.

I remember having several of my classes(elementary) do letters to the troops as grammer exercises. Kids loved it espically when the replies came back. Start of every class more or two students got to read out there letters. Had letters  arrive backfrom unit to school in bulk and then I would play mail man. Took a bit of work to set up then after 9/11 got canned as the kids were deemed a securty risk and then they went to the above mentioned "write a soldier bs" But I will be the first to get the kids writting again if policy changes

Elisha and Herd I'm sure families and classes writing is wonderful. When I was at bmq I phoned my Mom and insisted she write to me because it was lonely when others got written stuff and all I got was phone calls. I understand that. I just question the motives of these 2 'newbies'. It seems dubious to me.

Having said that I agree with Elisha that these guys might want someone to come home to, but let's not be naive enough to think that a woman so desperate to write to some guy she doesn't know so he can have a warm bed when he gets home from the war is a big prize. Reminds me of those women who write to killers in prison. It's all too creepy for me.

sure what the hell, Write me at

Rediger/MCpl
HQ and Sigs/UNDOF HQ
PO BOX 5002 Stn Forces
Belleville ON, K8N 5W6

I've got nothing else to do really now that all leave has been cancelled for the draw down.

NavComm

thanks for comparing me to a convicted killer  :rofl:

I'm not falling for it!

First it's "what's your name?" and "where are you stationed?". Then come the revealing pics, poorly cut out of old editions of Maxim. Before you know it the questions are "so what frequency are you using" and "what's the 10 digit grid of the TOC". No way, not this kid! Get your intelligence somewhere else Osama!!

;D

;D that doesn't worry me, the local army works for us as translators, and live just outside out gates... and we use civy radios...

not much that they could get from me that we don't already tell them, hell we fax them our patrols and whatnot... UN is a strange beast to work for  ;D

a_majoor said:
soldiers who might be a bit "thin on the ground" as far as correspondence from home goes can choose to write if they want.

Yes that is a good idea.

As for you members questioning my motives behind wanting to find someone to correspond with overseas;
I am not looking to 'meet' someone in that way.
I wanted to find an old-fashioned kinda pen-pal... and while there are numerous ways to find pen-pals all over the world, I thought writing to one of our troops - male OR female - overseas, might be a nice thing to do.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was stationed in Bosnia for a year.  We wrote back and forth frequently, and after my friend got home he told me how much just getting a letter from home had meant to him.

I came on this site & posted my forum simply to inquire about finding a pen pal. 
Not to have my morals & integrity questioned.  Though I suppose I can't blame you for questioning my motives, I hope now that I've explained them the negative comments can stop.

Thanks to those who have provided positive suggestions. :)

I would also be interested in being a soldiers pen pal if anyone has any info please post thanks :salute:

Back