• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Writing to the troops (merged)

Melanie,

If you live near Halifax, try dropping in to the Base Hospital at Stadacona, explain that you're looking at joining the CF as a nurse and ask to talk to one or more of the nurses - they're usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

Cheers.

MM

Canada Post offers free mail to soldiers abroad
Updated Thu. Aug. 30 2007 7:15 PM ET Canadian Press
Article Link

OTTAWA -- Canada Post is following Britain's example, and offering free delivery of mail to Canadian soldiers stationed in Afghanistan and elsewhere around the world.

The post office says it will provide free delivery of letters from family and friends to Canadian troops overseas, starting Oct. 26 and lasting until the beginning of 2009.

Canada Post says it will also provide free parcel service for family and friends of deployed Canadian troops for the coming holiday season, as it did last year.

However, letters and parcels must be processed at Canada Post retail outlets. Those dropped off in regular street boxes will not qualify.

Saint John MP Paul Zed had been urging the Harper government to offer the free mail service.

The British government made a similar decision last week the day after that country's chief of the general staff made a public appeal while visiting British soldiers in Afghanistan.
end of article

Starting oct 26th thru to early 2008....  That's more or less the same deal we had last year.... XMass mail schedule.

The posties have not brought anything new to the game

Too bad it was not 365 days a year, and there is NO reason why they can't!

Aust Post has a max 2kg to deployed forces for free 365 days a year.

This includes both into theatres of operation, and back.

Pretty sad and low that Canada Post does noy come to the party, but would rather profit from this.

Come on Canada Post, you're piss weak and shameless.

Shame. Shame. Shame!

Wes

GAP said:
Canada Post offers free mail to soldiers abroad
Updated Thu. Aug. 30 2007 7:15 PM ET Canadian Press
Article Link

OTTAWA -- Canada Post is following Britain's example, and offering free delivery of mail to Canadian soldiers stationed in Afghanistan and elsewhere around the world.

The post office says it will provide free delivery of letters from family and friends to Canadian troops overseas, starting Oct. 26 and lasting until the beginning of 2009.

Canada Post says it will also provide free parcel service for family and friends of deployed Canadian troops for the coming holiday season, as it did last year.

However, letters and parcels must be processed at Canada Post retail outlets. Those dropped off in regular street boxes will not qualify.

Saint John MP Paul Zed had been urging the Harper government to offer the free mail service.

The British government made a similar decision last week the day after that country's chief of the general staff made a public appeal while visiting British soldiers in Afghanistan.
end of article

Its for a year and a bit, not just the holiday season this time.... Still rather sadning since it should be 100% all the time

Read close... the article says free delivery of letters till 2009... nothing about parcels...

Guess I should of specified Letters till early 2009, parcels during the holiday season plus maybe (don't think so though.)

CANFORGEN 158/07 CANOSCOM HQ029 181133Z OCT 07
CANADA POST - FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE 26 OCT 07-11 JAN 08

CANADA POST WILL AGAIN BE PROVIDING FREE REGULAR PARCEL SERVICE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF DEPLOYED CF MEMBERS FROM 26 OCT 07 TO 11 JAN 08. PARCELS WILL BE DELIVERED FREE OF CHARGE FROM ANY CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET TO DESIGNATED CF BASES, WHERE THEY WILL BE FORWARDED THROUGH THE CF POSTAL SYSTEM TO CF MEMBERS OVERSEAS

ADDITIONALLY, CANADA POST WILL ALSO BEGIN PROVIDING FREE DELIVERY OF LETTERS TO DEPLOYED TROOPS EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 26, 2007 THROUGH 2008. AT THE END OF THAT PERIOD, CANADA POST AND THE DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENSE WILL JOINTLY EVALUATE THE PROGRAM

DUE TO CARGO LIMITATIONS ON MILITARY FLIGHTS, THIS OFFER IS RESTRICTED TO THOSE OPERATIONS SERVED BY THE BELLEVILLE ONTARIO K8N 5W6 ADDRESS AND TO ANY DEPLOYED CDN SHIP

ADDITIONAL MAILING GUIDELINES ARE AVAILABLE AT THE WRITE TO THE TROOPS LINK FOUND AT WWW.FORCES.GC.CA

TO ENSURE THE PROPER CUSTOMS DECLARATION FORMS AND CORRECT ADDRESSING INFO, ALL LETTERS AND PARCELS MUST BE DEPOSITED AT A CANADA POST RETAIL OUTLET. MAIL DEPOSITED IN STREET LETTER BOXES WILL NOT BE DELIVERED

I just watched the most heart-wrenching documentary on the Canadian Military (for Remembrance Day) and there were so many names and faces that didn't have their stories told. It made me wonder if they were without the support of families, and if so, who is writing to these men and women to try and bring a little smile in a dark situation? I tried to go to the http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/write-to-the-troops/index.page site to see about being a pen-pal to someone who doesn't get many (or any) letters but it was only a posting board and notification that mail goes to Ontario by the deadline or it will not be sent overseas.

I know there are quite a few members of the Canadian Military on here and was hoping that someone could help direct me on how to find someone who could use the letters from home. I'm not looking for a date or anything ridiculous like that. I'm just looking to be a cheering squad from afar and hopefully be able to make someone's time away a little less lonely.

If you click on the "Instructions", it'll take you to a page full of details, including rules and addresses, including how to send to “Any Canadian Armed Forces member”.

Also, there's lots more information about doing this before your post in the merged thread here.

Good luck.

Hi,

This is my first time doing this and I've read the instructions here - http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/write-to-the-troops/mailing-instructions.page#anc6

One of my buddies from high school that I recruited to Navy is leaving for Operation Reassurance shortly and I'm trying to surprise him with a few morale letters. The only question is, I don't have his Mess # / Section. I know his trade/ship, but how critical is this? I'm going to ask his family and see if they know, but if they don't know would my best bet to just list his trade?

RANK/INITIALS/NAME
MESS #/SECTION
NAME OF THE SHIP
PO BOX 99000 STN FORCES
HALIFAX NS  B3K 5X5

Other than it seems pretty straight forward in that all I need to do is bring the letter to Canada Post. Do they typically understand the procedure or am I better off to print off the instructions that state that it is free of charge?

Cheers,

They know it's free because of the Stn Forces address. If you're near a base you can drop it at there post office with no issues too.

I have been searching for a site like this for a long time. I've wanted to give back to the men and woman who serve to protect the rights and freedoms that I take for granted. I'm here to chat or we can email if you can't be online here to chat due to your duties and responsibilities.

A bit about me. I am 39, female from Alberta. I am not looking for anything. Just looking to be here to help support you and offer a listening ear.

Back