• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Writing to the troops (merged)

In reply to wanting to write to military personnell. I am from a military family, have worked as a private contractor for the military, and after talking to many of the personnell who are in the military while I was working;it seemed that was a common comment. ie. wanting to recieve letters.

As I also stated I am NOT looking for a relationship as I am already in on for many years with a person who is active military (26 yrs). Although I understand sceptisism over this query. It is, from me anyway, and innocent request. I have the time now to actually participate in doing something for the troops who I know work very hard and make many sacrifices.

I am not looking for a relationship neither I just think that it would ne nice for the men/women to get letters brings the morale up

c_canuk said:
NavComm

thanks for comparing me to a convicted killer  :rofl:

I didn't compare you to a convicted killer. What I said was "Reminds me of those women who write to killers in prison". I was referring to the mindset of the letter writer who would write to men they don't know.

But now that you mention it, maybe the writers are looking for a man who is dangerous. Convicted murderers and soldiers both could be seen that way, I suppose. It's kind of hard for me to get into the heads of these women who write to criminals. I've always thought that was a symptom of a very deep-rooted self loathing or something.

Both emmiee and Lucy insist they have very altruistic reasons for wanting to write to a soldier. I guess we have to take their word for it.

Curiously they both also say they have connections to the military. If that is the case, then,  emmiee, why not just ask your spouse with 26 yrs of military experience to connect you with a soldier that you can write to? And Lucy, why don't you ask your friend who was in Bosnia to hook you up with a pen pal?

NavComm: In response to "emmiee, why not just ask your spouse with 26 yrs of military experience to connect you with a soldier that you can write to?"

I do that already, I host dinners on the holidays for those who can not for some reason get home, I also offer my home to those CF personnell are on exchange if they need a place to stay in transit. I fly/drive materials requested by CF personnell that they cannot acquire there but would like to have.

BTW my spouse is CF military. I did not want anyone to have the wrong perception of my presences here.

And if anyone is interested, Yes, I did take Mr. Bobbitts suggestion and post an introduction of myself to the forum :)

emmiee said:
NavComm: In response to "emmiee, why not just ask your spouse with 26 yrs of military experience to connect you with a soldier that you can write to?"

I do that already, I host dinners on the holidays for those who can not for some reason get home, I also offer my home to those CF personnell are on exchange if they need a place to stay in transit. I fly/drive materials requested by CF personnell that they cannot acquire there but would like to have.

BTW my spouse is CF military. I did not want anyone to have the wrong perception of my presences here.

And if anyone is interested, Yes, I did take Mr. Bobbitts suggestion and post an introduction of myself to the forum :)

Well that's great. As I said, I take your word that you have altruistic reasons for wanting to do this. I'm sure you will find a pen pal. Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of women who want to do this have the same intentions that you do.

But then, the soldiers are grown ups, so they can make up their own minds about what type of mail they want to receive. I can just imagine some of the fun stuff they must get.  :-X

And!! (lol) Writing actual letters was just another way I thought I could do something...

If anyone ELSE has questions/issues to my motives; I have already stated them. I don't need to explain myself. Those who know what I already do appreciate it.

(Gee, I don't know why I'm letting NavComm push my buttons about this. Do you have this effect on everyone?)

emmiee said:
And!! (lol) Writing actual letters was just another way I thought I could do something...

If anyone ELSE has questions/issues to my motives; I have already stated them. I don't need to explain myself. Those who know what I already do appreciate it.

(Gee, I don't know why I'm letting NavComm push my buttons about this. Do you have this effect on everyone?)

I don't know LOL. I didn't mean to pick on you. I guess I'm just suspicious and cranky by nature.  :(

Did you have some kind of bad experience involving correspondence, that makes you so bitter and suspicious Navcom?

I really didn't expect to get this kind of negative feedback, about something I viewed as a friendly thing to do.

I came on this site, because I thought it would be a useful place to post my question.  I didn't expect to be attacked, or to see others attacked as well.

I am a moderator on another very large community site (nothing military related) and we try to keep stuff like this out of public forums as much as possible, because as is evident here - it causes unecessary drama, and it drives new users away.
Certainly doesn't make one feel all warm and welcome.  Hope the rest of the members around here aren't as unfriendly as you are.

We get your point ok?  You think we're some depraved individuals who have some sinister motive for wanting to find a pen-pal who also happens to be a solider.
We've tried clarifying our motives to you, and explained ourselves.  You choose to still be bitter about it, that's up to you.

So can you drop it, and please leave the forum clear for those who might have useful, positive suggestions or remarks?

Well, I for one think it was a fine request, and assume you have the purest of intentions. But remember that soldiers tend to be blunt, so you really shouldn't be offended.

You have the links so use them. Stay active on this site, and I'm sure you'll find lots of appreciative pen pals.

Cheers.

LucyInTheSky said:
Did you have some kind of bad experience involving correspondence, that makes you so bitter and suspicious Navcom?

I really didn't expect to get this kind of negative feedback, about something I viewed as a friendly thing to do.

I came on this site, because I thought it would be a useful place to post my question.  I didn't expect to be attacked, or to see others attacked as well.

I am a moderator on another very large community site (nothing military related) and we try to keep stuff like this out of public forums as much as possible, because as is evident here - it causes unecessary drama, and it drives new users away.
Certainly doesn't make one feel all warm and welcome.  Hope the rest of the members around here aren't as unfriendly as you are.

We get your point ok?  You think we're some depraved individuals who have some sinister motive for wanting to find a pen-pal who also happens to be a solider.
We've tried clarifying our motives to you, and explained ourselves.  You choose to still be bitter about it, that's up to you.

So can you drop it, and please leave the forum clear for those who might have useful, positive suggestions or remarks?

Well excuse me, I'm sorry you're offended. I'm pretty sure I did say that I believe your motives are altruistic. If you take offense to me being suspicious about a female, non-military joining a military forum with the sole purpose of getting some names she can write to, well WTH, I'm sorry for that too.

Maybe you are just a tad defensive, given that you are the new poster here, and you didn't receive a hugfest at your offer to write to -  not the troops -  but an individual soldier. Forgive me for being a skeptic about that.

But just because your motives are pure doesn't mean others would be and that was my point.

As for me leaving the forum, I don't think that's your call.

Hey Nav, calm. The guest was just trying to do something special.
And emmiee don't get upset, we are trained to look out for buddy and that was what Nav was doing.

I appreciate your good wishes and I hope that you will find the answers you're looking for. I'm sure the soldier who receives your message male or female will be thankful that there are civilians out there cares.

In the interest of keeping civility, and considering the answers already given early on,
I will put a lock on this one.

If anybody wishes to add anything useful, contact any member of the directing staff.

Thanks,

OM

You have entered into a Military related Web Site.  Many here have serious concerns about Security.  Some are involved in maintaining Security, both physical and electronic.  I hope that their concerns can be taken into account, as it is the nature of the business.

If anyone does want Pen Pals, the info has been posted in this topic.

I love the "Any Canadian Soldier" tag.

After serving on quite a few deployments, I can tell you that I received many such a letter to responsd to. My favourite was from a grade 3 Class in Hamilton with whom I ended up exchanging many letters, badges, t-shirts etc, as well as UN ball caps. They sent me Timmies!! A group of wonderful kids!!

But, in all honesty ladies, most of the "Any Canadian Soldier" letters I received were NOT intended for "any female Canadian Soldier." You'll have to please excuse those of us who have been on the receiving end for being somewhat suspicious. I usually passed the letters of this type on to the single guys on Camp...who had a field day with them.

However, I currently know a couple of gals who are deployed, and if you don't mind writing to 'a Canadian Soldier' who happens to be a female, send me a PM and I'll get in touch with them to see if they are interested.

The link for writing, and the "Any CF member" program is located here:

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/MIL/sending_e.asp

That was passed along last night  :)

I have just recently received this email stating that Canada post will be offering free postage for letters and parcels of any size going to our troops in Afghanistan. Has anybody else received this email or heard about this? It would be great to see them doing this for our troops but on the same hand, I have never seen them be this generous. Any extra input on this would be wonderful. I am attaching a copy of the email so all can see.

Subject: Canada Post free postal service for our CDN troops
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:40:29 -0400

Free Canada Post Parcel service to Canadian soldiers serving on peacekeeping missions overseas

Canada Post knows that parcels from home touch our soldiers' hearts. Every year, Canada Post and the Department of National Defence move approximately 16,000 bags of mail weighing 210,000 kilograms to temporary Canadian Forces bases overseas.

From October 26, 2006 to January 15, 2007, Canada Post will be offering free Regular Parcel service from anywhere in Canada to deployed Canadian Forces members.

This is Canada Post's way of recognizing and supporting the family and friends of our deployed troops during the Holiday season. Hopefully this offer will help bring those troops closer to their family and friends at this time of year when they would normally be with their loved ones.

Canada Post will deliver packages from family and friends of deployed troops, free of charge, addressed to the following Canadian Forces Base (CFB):

·            PO BOX 99000 STATION FORCES, HALIFAX NS  B3K 5X5

·            PO BOX 17000 STATION FORCES, VICTORIA BC  V9A 7N2

·            PO BOX 5053 STATION FORCES, BELLEVILLE ON  K8N 5W6

If you require further information and or details on this temporary offer and a goodwill gesture, contact your local Post-Office .

(Edited by Moderator to correct spelling in thread title.)

I'd say its full of shit.

I sent some stuff out today to a buddy in Kandahar via Box 5058 and paid $37 for it...

Back