• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worried about basic training? Think you don't have what it takes?

ouyin2000

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/news/Grandma+woman+makes+reserves/5380350/story.html

Ten-hut, Grandma! B.C. woman makes reserves — at 56

56-year-old Debbie Dompierre became the oldest person to graduate from the military after becoming a reservist in the Canadian Armed Forces in August. The grandmother of four joined the military after having trouble finding work elsewhere.

Considering CRA is 60, we're getting a great return on investment....

a new record! Set by the reserves. Gives 4 years which is a good return considering so many reg f and reservist tend to leave at close to that point.

As far as I know the record for Reg F is 54, anyone beat that yet?

Infanteer said:
Considering CRA is 60, we're getting a great return on investment....

If we get four years out of half the guys we take into the Reserve, that's not a bad outcome I'd suspect.

Redeye said:
If we get four years out of half the guys we take into the Reserve, that's not a bad outcome I'd suspect.

True.

I remember seeing her here in Borden in the Junior Ranks Kitchen. Good for her! I don't know very many 56 year olds who can push through basic training with 17-18 year olds.

CountDC said:
a new record! Set by the reserves. Gives 4 years which is a good return considering so many reg f and reservist tend to leave at close to that point.

Close. The older person that I know was on my Basic. He was 51 and could keep up with any one of the younger guys.

On my reg force basic, 2005 St Jean, we had a Kenyan Gentleman with us who claimed to be 56.  He had that legendary Kenyan cardio thing going on.  No one could catch him.  He did clarify later that his age was an estimate as there were no birth records in Kenya where he was born.  He had to rely on the estimate of living relatives.  Groovy.

CountDC said:

I think so. In the ArmyNews report on the Warrior Challenge ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nI9RBziGtk ), one of the participants claims to be 56. I don't know when the report was recorded, so he may have already completed BMQ. Major kudos to him.

Redeye said:

I remember reading that the average annual attrition in the P. Res. was 35 per cent, which suggests an average career length of about three years, so I think you're right.

Back