• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

World Of Warships

http://www.armytimes.com/story/entertainment/2015/09/18/world-of-warships-wargaming/72419832/

After about a year of beta-testing sea trials, Wargaming.net's "World of Warships" has officially launched — and by all appearances, it was well worth the wait.

In fact, OFFduty got some pre-release time at the helm, and we'll just say, do yourself a favor and download this free-to-play title right now.

Not any real difference between open beta and Live. Othre than you can fork out mucho bucks for the Tirpitz

Downloaded the game yesterday and did a couple of quick engagements. I still don't understand the aiming part. I'm a little bit put out that they don't have a training module where you can practice sailing and fighting.

It's beta, tanks only got a tutorial after 3 years of full release. For aiming, you need to line up for azimuth only, elevation is done for you. Put crosshairs on ship, move them left or right in direction of travel and fire one shot to get it on. You'll find everyone runs around at max speed so in a fight you won't change your lead on a target unless they close the distance.

I've got about 250 games into it and so far, it's a good effort. I'm a longtime player of Wargaming.net's more popular franchise, World of Tanks with about 7,500 games in over there so I can see where WG is going with this and I'm impressed. There were some pretty major balance issues with aircraft carriers but that was mostly fixed a few patches ago. I'm also looking forward to the expansion of the tech tree like they did with WoTs. If they are willing to do some more limited lines, there is a ton of different countries that could be introduced. England, France, German, Italy and on a more limited level, Canada and Australia, are all screaming for representation. It's almost criminal that the Royal Navy isn't in here yet given that it was one of the largest navy's at the time that this game covers (1920's - 1950 or so) and I suspect that it will be there very soon.

All in all, a good game that I suspect will only get better with time.

We're lucky the Soviet navy isn't the first one in there, considering some of the russian bias from the tanks game. However, WoWS was designed to be marketed directly to US customers, as naval warfare games have been traditionally huge. That's why you're getting the USA vs Japan deal at the start, it gets the main demographic hooked.

ModlrMike said:
Downloaded the game yesterday and did a couple of quick engagements. I still don't understand the aiming part. I'm a little bit put out that they don't have a training module where you can practice sailing and fighting.

For early cruiser and BB's lead to the 5 mark, faster cruisers lead by the 7 mark, DD's lead by 8-10 mark. That for parallel tracks. Diagonal cut by 1/2

Played a few more games and I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I just downloaded the game tonight. I love it. Kind of wish they had the Royal Navy in it. Or have German u-boats.

Cheers

Don't hold your breath for submarines, they were ruled out early in development.

It looks like German surface combatants in Oct, and RN sometime next year.

BTW, are there enough of us to form a group?

I am planning on giving this game a trial.This would be way out of the box for me as I usually play strategy games.

I have been experimenting and will have to learn how to aim.Kind of fun. :)

I'm getting more comfortable. My plan is to work my way down the tech tree while making sure my captains gain experience along the way.

I find this game addicting and slowly I am learning.So far to update a ship you need mucho experience points.So this aspect of the game isnt as fast as I would like. :D

tomahawk6 said:
I find this game addicting and ......

Just try not to become too addicted and pull out your plastic to pay real cash for the game.  :nod:

George Wallace said:
Just try not to become too addicted and pull out your plastic to pay real cash for the game.  :nod:

That's what disposable credit cards are for.  Usually get a tonne of them as gifts flopping around here, and we use them for online purchases.  If I like a game, music or art I will contribute some money to the cause.  I figure if I don't pay for games I like then they will stop making them.  That being said, no way am I paying $65 for the Tirpitz.  20 bucks and I'm good thank you very much.

As for my handle, I'm Cataphractpanzer in game so if you see me say hello!  Might change my handle but that costs money as well....so prob not worth it.

Back