• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Work Full time, Basic Training Days

Brandon Z

Inactive
Reaction score
I currently work full time Toronto. I am 26 and have been always wanting to join the army. I want to join the 32 Brigade as a reservist.  Just would like to know how it works with basic training.  It is weekend courses or do I have to go aways for the whole course at once?  Thanks

BMQ courses are run on weekends in the fall, and full time in the summer.  Also,  courses like BMQ-Land and your trade training will be done full time in the summer.

A quick search here.. and possibly on the unit(s) website you are interested on joining would also have gotten you the answer.

Not sure about 32Bde, but out here in 39 there have been weekend BMQ-Ls run also. Some of your other courses may be on weekends as well, such as driver wheeled.

Usually, you can do BMQ, and sometimes even SQ on the weekend. However, ALL trade courses are done on a full time basis in the summer.

Bomber for Life said:
Usually, you can do BMQ, and sometimes even SQ on the weekend. However, ALL trade courses are done on a full time basis in the summer.

I can attest to this. I did BMQ on weekends and that was 10 weekends total, and the BMQ-Land is 11. Like Bomber for Life noted, my DP1 will be a full month in the summer, but most subsequent courses I can choose to do will be offered on weekends.

If you can get a month away from work in the summer, and if you really think you can handle being away 2-3 weekends a month for 9 months [Sept - May doing BMQ and BMQ-Land], ON TOP of work, then I suggest you try it out. We have a few people who have full-time careers and are your age [one is even 40] , so don't let any thoughts of age or career dissuade you from joining...unless you know the time commitment will be too great.

Brandon Z said:
I currently work full time Toronto. I am 26 and have been always wanting to join the army. I want to join the 32 Brigade as a reservist.  Just would like to know how it works with basic training.  It is weekend courses or do I have to go aways for the whole course at once?  Thanks

I just spoke to a friend of mine who is in 32 Brigade, and he confirmed that they (The Lorne Scots [an Infantry Regiment]) do run weekend BMQ courses.

Back