• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Words of Wisdom I have said over the past year

paracowboy

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I generally see things in terms of little life-lessons I learned as an Infantry NCO such as: less is more, don't fix what ain't broke, don't react publicly unless you want to draw attention to the issue, demonstrate calmness and everyone else will calm down, don't play with people over whom you can exert force, the best distraction is redirection, everything is a cycle of cause and effect, etc. You know, basic Infantry leadership lessons we learn with time.

Words of Wisdom I have said over the past year. (Not all are original, but most are funny, and their truth is what makes them humerous.):

"Never trust Communists, journalists, or the Liberals"

"Tell the truth. Always."

"Leave that cat alone!"

"Told you to leave that cat alone. Dumbass."

"Do the right thing even if your men bitch about it."

'You are not allowed to quit.'

"Proper sight picture, breath control, SQUEEZE the f*#@ing trigger."

"I learned it from my Dad."

"You're not going to get any smarter listening to that hip-hop crap."

"It is honourable for men to defend their country."

"It's only blood"

"It's only pain"

"It's only hunger"

"It's only cold."

"If you stay off the roads, you won't get ambushed."

"Listen to your NCO's, they want you to succeed!"

"Yeah, women are evil, but they smell nice, don't they?"

"It only hurts if you let it."

"I TOLD YOU TO GO TO THE BATHROOM BEFORE WE LEFT!"

"Don't pick fights, BUT, if you get in a fight, MAKE SURE YOU WIN!"

"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

"He's the Sergeant-Major, he's ALWAYS right."

"Do the right thing. Especially when it hurts."

"Always cheat, Always win."

"The media are never to be trusted, believed, or fed."

If it were easy, anybody could do it. And it wouldn't be worth doing, would it?

I forget where I found this, but I liked it. It applies in many ways to everyday life, as much as it does to soldiering. So, if the original author stumbles on it, kudos to you, and don't sue me.

THINGS SOLDIERS TODAY SHOULD KNOW

1. Family comes first. Don't let the job consume you. Ultimately, the only things that matter are the people waiting for you to come home.

2. Take care of yourself. Live a healthy lifestyle balanced with physical fitness and nutrition.

3. Continue to educate yourself and TRAIN in tactics. Take on extra training opportunities as often as you can.

4. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. Be prepared for anything. Pay attention, especially during boring or repetitious patrols. Complacency is deadly.

5. Maintain your Integrity. The uniform you wear comes with a certain level of integrity that must be preserved.

6. Remember Cover/Concealment. Always be aware of your surroundings (on or off duty). Stay alert and aware of potential dangers in your patrol AOO. Know your patrol AOO better than the residents.

7. Be aware of body language and non-verbal communication. Watch the hands and eyes during all civilian contact. Hands kill you... so control them.

8. Listen to your instinct. If you don't think something's quite right, it's probably not.

9. Be professional and courteous to fellow troops, NCOs, officers, and civilians. Remember, you're being evaluated on and off duty.

10. Mentally prepare. Keep a positive mindset - "I will go home at the end of my tour." Practice When/Then thinking. "When this happens; I will then..."

11. Practice defensive driving and safe vehicle operations. Vehicles kill and injure more than firearms. Wear your seat belt.

12. Practice, practice, practice. Train to react and rely on your training. Practice firearms, defence tactics and verbal judo skills like your life depends on it. It does.

13. Have other interests, hobbies outside of your work.

14. Know your strengths and weaknesses including size limitations.

15. Know your equipment and take care of it. Be proficient with it and always carry a backup.

16. Always wear your flak vest. Remember body armour has been designed to protect the wearer against multiple threats. They include bullets, knives, sharpened instruments and needles, as well as from injury from blunt trauma accidents such as car crashes and attacks by clubs and similar weapons.

17. Never underestimate the enemy. On every encounter, expect your worst possible adversary.

18. Play the "what if" game in your head so that you are prepared for any situation.

19. Remember the golden rule of handcuffing PWs - cuff and then search. When searching for a weapon, remember the "Plus One" theory - if you find one, search for two and if you find two, search for three and so on.

20. Remember to advise the CP of your location.

21. Practice your communication skills - writing and speaking. This includes writing thorough and detailed patrol reports.

22. Have confidence in and support your fellow troops. We are all brothers and sisters under one flag.

Oh, how I wish many people that I know would take that advice.

along a similar vein:

talkin' with a youngster who's a bit of a problem child...I took him by the shoulders, leaned down to look him square in the eyes, and said: "Son, I WILL motivate you if I have to slap it into you. I care for your well-being THAT much."
His response? "uuhh, thanks, Master Corporal?" The look on his face still makes me giggle - equal parts confusion, fear, & laughter.
hmmm, it's not nearly as funny when you read it, but you guys know that look on a troop's face.

reminds me of the time I had a chat with another young troop.
"Somewhere inside of you is a good trooper, tryin' to get out. I will find him if I have to rip your chest cavity open, and search manually."

Neither compare to the threats/promises I can remember being made to me, when I was the young private. Heh. Y'know, when I first got this rank-from-Hell, and was moved to a Company with nuthin' but new troops, after about a week I went and looked up one my Master Corporals from when I was an FNG, and apologized to him.

"Hey, Sgt. TXXXXX! Steve, listen, I want to apologize."

"For what, man?"

"For 1996 and 1997."

"What are you babbling about now?" And he started looking around for the usual boobytrap.

"I just got moved to O Coy, and have a Platoon full of brand new guys. I now know what you went through with me, and I'm sorry, dude."

He laughed for about 20 minutes.

"Yeah, women are evil, but they smell nice, don't they?"

That one is pure gold.

TheShepherd said:

Oh, how I wish many people that I know would take that advice.

Who the heck listens to music to get smart? Did I miss the legendary gems of wisdom being bestowed by country or rock?  ???

Who the heck listens to music to get smart? Did I miss the legendary gems of wisdom being bestowed by country or rock? 

There has been some links to classical music listening and scoring better on tests.  Also, most of us in my youth orchestra back in high school were all very smart.

I TOLD YOU TO GO TO THE BATHROOM BEFORE WE LEFT

Ya, some kid didn't listen to her mommy and peed herself at the walmart.  But I was also giving her a mean look prior....so maybe I scared her, haha.

Back