• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Women in warships – a fading big deal

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Navy News / May 15, 2019

By Lt(N) Katrina Giesbrecht

There are currently 23 female sailors onboard Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Regina. Each of us joined the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) for different reasons, but all of us view ourselves as professional members of the CAF first, and women in the CAF second.

Sometimes we are asked to attend events in order to highlight diversity within our Navy; and we appreciate the chance to share our experiences with the public and our partners in allied navies.

“I joined the Navy almost eight years ago. I really had no idea what to expect as a woman in the military. I’d heard stories of how it was a boy’s club and how ‘boys will be boys’, but in my experience that hasn’t really been the case at all,” said Leading Seaman Dana Kimoto when she was asked about being a woman in the military.

“I’ve found the military to be more respectful and equal than other jobs I’ve had. Being able to visit countries where women’s rights are not as advanced, and occasionally interacting with women in other navies, has made me appreciate the freedoms we have as women in the Canadian military.”

Navy newcomer Master Corporal Amy Kingston was struck by the Navy’s motto: “a sailor first.”

“In all activities governing the operation of the ship, be it replenishment at sea, part ship hands or storing ship, all hands are on deck with the sole consideration of carrying out duties safely and efficiently. Gender, age, and all other demographic markers do not come into play when accomplishing these tasks,” said Kingston.

“Experience and leadership are the sole criteria that decides who makes the requisite calls. There is an explicit regard and respect for all which makes serving in Regina a fulfilling and rewarding endeavour, regardless of whether one belongs to a demographic majority or minority.”

In short, the common thread that runs through almost every conversation about being a woman in the Navy is that while it is not always easy, it is never boring, and we continue to progress with integration in an organization where there is no gender-based wage gap, and everyone is offered equal opportunity for advancement.

http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/en/news-operations/news-view.page?doc=women-in-warships-a-fading-big-deal%2Fjvmqlxma&fbclid=IwAR2EFRBekNXHl5Ivn2at8jn3wzZOI02MeQJTciNrGB5HYyPYRA--4wgkPQQ

I sailed in Protecteur for about almost three years with a "mixed gender" crew and I don't recall any specific events that were problematic.  It helped that the ladies (females?  I never knew and still don't know the right term) were at all ranks from Ordinary Seaman to LCdr.  I am sure there were some comments made that were inappropriate and I am sure things were (at times) more difficult for the ladies than the guys.  But for the most part (so far as I could tell) everyone just got on with their jobs.

I was also at RMC when there were lady cadets.  I didn't think there were too many problems there either, but Kate Armstrong's recent book (as discussed in another thread) provides a different view. 

Integration of women into almost all aspects of the Navy has been ongoing for over 25 years.  There should not be any problems at this point. 

Each of us joined the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) for different reasons, but all of us view ourselves as professional members of the CAF first, and women in the CAF second.

Sometimes I think the CAF treats female members as Women in the CAF first and professional members of the CAF second.

Back