• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO Wilson, Cpl. McLaren, Pte. Diplaros - 1 RCR - 05 Dec. 2008

I was on tour with Mark in '06 (he was a reserve augmentee as well)

He was a damn good soldier and a damn good friend. 

As with the others, he will be missed.

My condolences to both the families of the 3 soldiers and to the entire RCR family. :salute:

Deepest condolences to the families, friends and fellow soldiers of the fallen. Rest in peace, you are gone but will not be forgotten.

R.I.P.

We must also remember that three Canadian Civilian aid workers have also lost their lives in Afghanistan making a total of 104. Their lost was just as important as the military and diplomatic ones.

At the going down of the sun,
and in the morning,
we will remember them!

:cdn: :salute:

I am at a loss for words... RIP troops, we shall meet again. To the family, my heart felt condolences.

"From ailing hands, the torch is passed."  :'(
Peace, Brothers, Stand Easy  :salute:
My heartfelt condolences to the Regiment and to the Families of these brave troops. :salute:
:cdn:  Our Colours Don't Run.

My condolonces to the family and loved ones. What better way to go than doing what you love, making a difference in this world and protecting the freedoms and rights of Canadians. RIP :cdn:

Third name released: Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson

Link

160_Robert_soldier_081205.jpg

RIP  :salute:

News Release
Name of third Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan released

CEFCOM NR 08.041 - December 5, 2008

OTTAWA – The third soldier killed by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan on December 5, 2008, was Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson.

WILSON_RJ.jpg

Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson

WO Wilson was a member of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment from Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, Ontario, serving with the Task Force Kandahar Operational Mentor and Liaison Team.

He was killed with Corporal Mark Robert McLaren and Private Demetrios Diplaros, in an attack by improvised explosive device on their armoured vehicle, during a joint patrol in the Arghandab District with Afghan National Army soldiers. The incident occurred approximately 15 kilometres west of Kandahar City at about 9:00 a.m. Kandahar time.

-30-

My condolences to the families and friends of these fallen warriros. :salute:

3 Canadians dead in Afghanistan, toll reaches 100

3 Canadians dead in Afghanistan, toll reaches 100

Canada's death toll in Afghanistan has hit 100 with the deaths of three soldiers who were killed by an improvised explosive device.

The attack happened Friday at about 9 a.m. local time.

Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, commander of Task Force Kandahar, said that the three soldiers "were killed instantly" when their armoured vehicle was struck by a large IED.

The soldiers, Cpl. Mark Robert McLaren, Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson and Pte. Demetrios Diplaros, were from the 1st Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based out of Petawawa, Ont.

They were members of the Task Force Kandahar Operational Mentor and Liaison Team.

More at Link.

RIP.  :cdn:

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of three Canadian soldier

NR–08.087 - December 5, 2008

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of three Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan:

"It is with deep sadness that I learned of the deaths of Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, Corporal Mark Robert McLaren and Private Demetrios Diplaros. These brave soldiers were attacked while conducting road sweeps with the Afghan National Army as part of our efforts to train and mentor these developing troops through the Operational Mentor and Liaison Team.

Today, Canada lost three fine soldiers. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends in their time of grief. Through their work as mentors for the Afghan National Army, these brave men were doing their part to ensure that Afghanistan will develop its own capacity to achieve and maintain peace and stability.

The sacrifices being made to help stabilize southern Afghanistan are tragic. We salute our military men and women, their families, and all those Canadians who have served their country in this tremendously important mission.

In grieving our losses, Canada remains determined that the courage and sacrifice of these individuals will continue to make a real difference for Afghans and for our own security. We have been called to serve in this nation at the request of its democratically elected government, under a mandate from the United Nations. 

Canadians, and the Government of Canada, stand proudly in support our Canadian Forces members as they strive to bring safety and stability back to Afghanistan.
Their sacrifices will not be forgotten.”

-30-

Warrant Officer Wilson, Corporal McLaren and Private Diplaros were from 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment from Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, Ontario and served as members of Task Force Kandahar’s Operational Mentor and Liaison Team in Afghanistan.

STATEMENT BY THE PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA
5 December 2008
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of three Canadian soldiers:

" Today, all of Canada mourns the deaths of three brave soldiers killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan. On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to offer my most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, Corporal Mark Robert McLaren, and Private Demetrios Diplaros who lost their lives today serving their country. I also extend my wishes for the prompt recovery of two Canadian soldiers wounded in a separate attack today in Kandahar Province.

These brave soldiers were part of an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team dedicated to teaching the Afghanistan National Army (ANA) the soldiering skills required for them to take full responsibility for security in their country. Training the ANA is one of Canada’s priorities in Afghanistan, and the mentoring teams are indispensible in this task. This attack took the lives of three Canadian soldiers when an improvised explosive device detonated close to their armoured vehicle while on a training patrol in the Arghandab District.

The three soldiers were with the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment from Canadian Forces Base Petawawa and served as members of Task Force Kandahar’s Operational Mentor and Liaison Team.

Canadians and Afghans alike will remember the sacrifice of these exceptional Canadians who were dedicated to making both Afghanistan and the broader world a safer place to live. We will not be deterred in performing our vital mission by the cowardly attacks of the Taliban. While every life lost is tragic, we remain steadfast in our determination to help build a better Afghanistan."

Canada is part of the International Security Assistance Force Operational Mentor and Liaison Team (OMLT) Program in Afghanistan. OMLTs are comprised of 12-19 people embedded with Afghan National Army battalions, brigades, garrisons and corps headquarters.  The teams deploy for at least six months within the ANA teaching basic soldier skills, marksmanship principles, tactics and manoeuvres and planning and conducting patrols and other operations. Canada is currently participating in 6 OMLTs.

Back