• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO. Roberge 2 IRC, Sgt. Kruse 2 CER - Four Wounded: 28 Dec 08

Infanteer

Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Looks like I'm the bearer of bad news here.  :(

Prayers out to the families of WO Roberge and Sgt Kruse and a quick recovery to the wounded.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081228/afghanistan_soldiers_081228/20081228?hub=TopStories

Two Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
Updated Sun. Dec. 28 2008 12:39 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Two Canadian soldiers have died in Afghanistan after a bomb exploded west of Kandahar city. Another three soldiers and an Afghan interpreter were wounded in the blast.

The military has identified the slain soldiers as Warrant Officer Gaeten Joseph Roberge, temporarily seconded from Valcartier, Quebec's Royal 22ieme Regiment, and Sgt. Greg John Kruse, a combat engineer on duty with the Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont.

Family of Roberge and Kruse were notified of their deaths on the same day as the body of Pte. Michael Freeman, who was killed in Kandahar on Friday, was taken aboard a military plane to be transported back to Canada.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay had been in Afghanistan to attend the ramp ceremony for Freeman. It's believed that MacKay's attendance was the first time a sitting defence minister had attended such an event at Kandahar Airfield.

One of Freeman's wounded colleagues also attended the ramp ceremony on a military gurney.

Before the ceremony, MacKay expressed his condolences to Freeman's family.

"We regret that loss in the extreme as we do each and every one, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends and loved ones in Canada," MacKay said.

Along with one diplomat and two aid workers, 106 Canadian soldiers have now died in the war-torn country.

Details to follow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another sad day...

CBC Article:

[quote author=CBC]
Two Canadian soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb west of Kandahar city on Saturday, bringing to three the number of Canadian troops killed there since Friday.

Warrant Officer Gaetan Joseph Roberge and Sgt. Gregory John Kruse were on a security patrol in the Panjwai district around 12:15 p.m. local time when the explosion occurred.

An Afghan police officer and Afghan interpreter were also killed in the blast about 25 kilometres west of Kandahar city.

Three Canadian soldiers were wounded and airlifted to the hospital at the Kandahar Airfield. They are listed in good condition. An Afghan interpreter suffered minor injuries and was treated and released from hospital.
[/quote]

Article Link

Deepest condolences to the families and comrades.  :(

Another sad day. RIP Soldiers! :salute: :salute: May the injured heal quickly and the family be provided the confort to get through this trying time.

News Release
Two Canadian soldiers killed and four injured in Afghanistan
CEFCOM NR–08.046 - December 28, 2008

OTTAWA– Two Canadian soldiers, as well as one member of the Afghan National Police and one Afghan interpreter were killed on December 27, 2008, when an explosive device detonated in their vicinity in the Panjwayi District.

Four other Canadian soldiers and one Afghan interpreter were injured in the incident, which occurred at approximately 12:15 p.m. local time, approximately 25 kilometres west of Kandahar City.  The soldiers were conducting security operations in the area when the explosion occurred.

Killed in action was Warrant Officer Gaétan Roberge, from the 2nd Battalion, The Irish Regiment of Canada.  He was serving as a member of the Police Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team.

Also killed in action was Sergeant Gregory John Kruse, from 2 Combat Engineer Regiment, Canadian Forces Base Petawawa.  He was serving as a member of 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

Members of Task Force Kandahar are committed to improving security and increasing development in Kandahar Province.  We are all thinking of the family and friends of our fallen comrades during this sad time, but are determined to continue working with our Afghan and international partners towards a better future for the people of Afghanistan

-30-

Note to Editors:

A photograph of Warrant Officer Gaétan Roberge and of Sergeant Gregory John Kruse is available on the Combat Camera Website (search under last name) at: www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca

2 more Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, CBC

Two Canadian soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb west of Kandahar city
on Saturday, bringing to three the number of Canadian troops killed there since
Friday. Warrant Officer Gaetan Joseph Roberge and Sgt. Gregory John Kruse were
on a security patrol in the Panjwai district around 12:15 p.m. local time when the
explosion occurred.

An Afghan police officer and Afghan interpreter were also killed in the blast about
25 kilometres west of Kandahar city.

Three Canadian soldiers were wounded and airlifted to the hospital at the Kandahar
Airfield. They are listed in good condition. An Afghan interpreter suffered minor
injuries and was treated and released from hospital.

"There are no words to properly express our sorrow at this moment. Every one of
our soldiers is very dear to us. They are our friends and our brothers," the Canadian
commander of coalition forces in Kandahar, Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, said Sunday.

"We also grieve for our Afghan brothers with whom we have been working side by
side to help make their country more secure and stable."

Roberge was a member of the Royal 22nd Regiment who was serving with the
Irish Regiment of Canada in Sudbury, Ont. He was part of the Canadian team
mentoring Afghanistan's fledgling national police force.

Kruse was from 24 Field Squadron, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment based in
Petawawa, Ont. He was serving as a member of 3rd Battalion of the Royal
Canadian Regiment battle group.

Rest of article on link, CBC

:cdn:
Somewhat getting tired of sending out condolances...

Rest In Peace, Gentlemen.  :salute:

Rest in Peace, WO Roberge and Sgt. Kruse.  :salute: :cdn:

Thats 9 this month!

Considering the amount of CF on the ground, these figures are very high.

Another rough day.

I am speechless.

OWDU

Thoughts and prayers to the family, friends and comrades of WO Roberge and Sgt Kruse.

RIP soldiers.

BYT Driver said:
:cdn:Somewhat getting tired of sending out condolances...

Here here.....

Nonetheless, my prayers are going out to the family, colleagues and friends of the latest fallen - here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery for the wounded, too.

:salute:

Warrant Officer  Roberge is easily one of the top most inspiring leaders I have had the honour of working with in the military. As far as being an inspiration he is up there with General Hilliar in my books. This man could motivate!
I think anyone who has worked with him has been moved by him too. Hell the first time I met him in person I remember thinking wow the famous WO Roberge. "You tink I make you sweat now, just wait! I make you sweater!" He really was larger than life.

He and our other fallen brothers will be sorely missed, rest in peace.

Again, this one hits close... Gaétan Roberge was a good friend.

Prends soin, l'Gros !!

Died doing their duty as they saw it. Condolences to the family, friends and comrades of WO Roberge and Sgt Kruse.

Every loss is heartfelt.........our condolences to the families and friends of these two soldiers.  A full and speedy recovery to the wounded.    :salute: :salute:

Our condolences to the families and friends of these two soldiers.

Nancee & Dave Payne

Back