• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winter FTX

slowmode

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
  Just before I start this topic, I have looked around the search function to find my answer but I was not able to get exactly what I was looking for. Any help here would be very appreciated.

This summer I completed my BMQ and did a 3 day FTX. When we did this the weather was clear as water. My next course following my BMQ is my Soldier Qualification. I will be conduction the weekend course. It came to my attention that my FTX for my SQ will most likely be conducted during winter. I have never done any winter training or for that matter slept outside in the winter. I've been compiling a list of extra items to bring to help me along. But my main question is, what do you all recommend I bring a long extra to help me out during winter training during my SQ FTX.

Thank-You
slowmode

Winter Marching Order, as given out by the staff.  The unit WMO instructions will tell you what you "have" to bring.  You are responsible to make sure you have (or draw if required) the kit on the list, and that it is serviceable.

That's a start!

You will (should) also get all the "winter indoc" lectures on the winter kit, winter march discipline, etc etc before going on the FTX.  So don't worry too much about the fact you haven't done winter trng yet.  It will come.

I also took an inexpensive electric razor , extra combat glove liners (when it wasn't that cold, I used these inside the arctic mitt outer, and I then could pull my arctic mitt off and still have my claws covered), lots of batteries for my mini-mag, pencils to write with, Mr Noodles (light, they don't go bad and they are easy and fast to cook during up-pole drills, which usually followed pulling the toboggan around for some time...), those little fuel tablets and heat shield (can't remember the real name) for the canteen cup, and decent (I like the Blistex stuff in the little red tubes) lip balm. 

Aside from that, everything else that comes to mind was issued.

Make sure you get some paracord (call it 2 or 3 feet) for tying down/securing the toe portion of the issued snowshoe harness (use a reef knot if you can).  Your Crse staff will probably show you that trick.

Try searching again for "Winter Warfare". I came up with 6 pages on it when I did.

Mud Recce Man said:
Winter Marching Order, as given out by the staff.  The unit WMO instructions will tell you what you "have" to bring.  You are responsible to make sure you have (or draw if required) the kit on the list, and that it is serviceable.

That's a start!

You will (should) also get all the "winter indoc" lectures on the winter kit, winter march discipline, etc etc before going on the FTX.  So don't worry too much about the fact you haven't done winter trng yet.  It will come.

I also took an inexpensive electric razor , extra combat glove liners (when it wasn't that cold, I used these inside the arctic mitt outer, and I then could pull my arctic mitt off and still have my claws covered), lots of batteries for my mini-mag, pencils to write with, Mr Noodles (light, they don't go bad and they are easy and fast to cook during up-pole drills, which usually followed pulling the toboggan around for some time...), those little fuel tablets and heat shield (can't remember the real name) for the canteen cup, and decent (I like the Blistex stuff in the little red tubes) lip balm. 

Aside from that, everything else that comes to mind was issued.

Make sure you get some paracord (call it 2 or 3 feet) for tying down/securing the toe portion of the issued snowshoe harness (use a reef knot if you can).  Your Crse staff will probably show you that trick.

Try searching again for "Winter Warfare". I came up with 6 pages on it when I did.
Thank you very much for your post, I will take everything you said and look into it futher. Also Do you reccomend I bring like a thermal matress to replace my issued air matress, I heard the issued airmatress is not good with keeping heat.

I am going on winter training too. I was wondering when do we do the FTX as we have school or work during the week?

TikiTak said:
I am going on winter training too. I was wondering when do we do the FTX as we have school or work during the week?
I was thinking about that to, But Then I kind of thought maybe they would do it during our Long break in december.

But shouldn't all work (including army) stop during Christmas, or atleast Boxing day? And not everyone has winter breaks like us students, most people have work.

TikiTak said:
But shouldn't all work (including army) stop during Christmas, or atleast Boxing day? And not everyone has winter breaks like us students, most people have work.
I'm not sure, Anyone know the answer to this?

Come on guys!  Use your heads!  What month is it now?  When does your unit start to Train again?  When do you think you may see a Training Schedule?  Who on this site knows what Unit you are with to begin with?  I am positive that there are lots who have read your posts and have some pretty smartass comments to post here in reply.  So.......Shake your heads.

Thanks George. We should have thought of this before. My mistake.

slowmode said:
Do you reccomend I bring like a thermal matress to replace my issued air matress, I heard the issued airmatress is not good with keeping heat.

What I recommend and what your Course Staff and Unit will allow may be 2 different things  ;).

I have only used both models of the issued one, and never had a problem, as I used the kit as I was trained to.  So I recommend you attend the lectures on the winter kit, and use the kit as you are trained to.

FWIW, I have slept outside, read "not inside the 5-man tent" type outside, in the snow with my green air mattress and sleeping bag complete w/arctic hood, all inside my bivy bag and stripped down to my gitch in -20 or colder and been warm and toasty. 

All in all, the CF will provide you with everything you need to have.  Everything else that you could find and buy at Mountain Equipment COOP (or other outdoor living store), might be nicer, lighter, better BUT, all in all, you don't need it.
Listen to your NCOs instructions and do what they tell you to do & you'll be fine.

Enjoy!

Ill see what ever gear I need when it will need to know.

I only have a quick Question about the week end SQ training.

Do we do the Feild portion in one block or is ti put in 3 week ends (which equal to the total of days that the summer SQ pass in Feild part 5 days)???

MM, you'll have to ask your instructor that question.
My personal opinion is that you are better served when you do it all in one block BUT, with necessity of training BQ qualified soldiers during the fall/winter/spring time frame, there is little choice.

Geo,

that is what I'm thinking. but then again...I could be wrong  :warstory:

I did my SQ from jan-jun on a weekend course. Basically, the first half of the course you'll be in garison, learning the new weapons systems, PT, inspections, and all of that fun stuff. The second half of the course, we were in the field every weekend. 6 weekends if I recall correctly. Depending on your trade, this is where you'll start to really love your job. Embrace the hard work.

As far as winter kit goes, in my experience doing BMQ in -25 or -30, stick to all of your issued kit. It will make you appreciate it. You can't identify a problem, or find a solution for said problem, if you've never actually used the kit. IMO, a large part of this is to build confidence in your kit, much like the gas chamber. You're not out there to be tortured with cold weather, you're out there to become confident that you can close with and destroy the enemy, by day or night, regardless of weather conditions. Be confident that liners and mortar gloves are all you need up to -10, identify the problem of wearing a balclava and BEWs, learn this stuff, appreciate the kit you have, then when you're trained you can make some modifications to make things better.

Bane said:
Get the a suit of the best long underwear money can buy.

Why?  The issued kit is fine.  Troops used it in the Arctic for years, and I am talking "pre-CTS kit"..is there something you know that we don't?

Even the "older" long underwear is worthy, if worn correctly, layered, proper march discipline, donning/doffing kit as trained troops do.

Care to share?

I have never bought long underwear for trng in winter warfare/indoc.  I am fine (well, in that sense atleast  ;D).

I've been to Norway 3 times, Churchhill Manitoba 2 times for winter warfare training in the dead of winter with 1 RCR and I can tell you without a doubt that your CF issued winter kit, is some of the best cold weather kit in the world. Once your are trained to use and care for it properly, you will have a new found respect for it. Listen carefully to your instructors.

There is no need to go out and pay ridiculous prices for the so called civvy kit, because in most cases it doesn't hold up to the rigours and abuse of military uses and it doesn't work as claimed half the time. Save your money, draw your winter gear and learn how to use it, it's the best, no question.

retiredgrunt45 said:
I've been to Norway 3 times, Churchhill Manitoba 2 times for winter warfare training in the dead of winter with 1 RCR and I can tell you without a doubt that your CF issued winter kit, is some of the best cold weather kit in the world. Once your are trained to use and care for it properly, you will have a new found respect for it. Listen carefully to your instructors.

There is no need to go out and pay ridiculous prices for the so called civvy kit, because in most cases it doesn't hold up to the rigours and abuse of military uses and it doesn't work as claimed half the time. Save your money, draw your winter gear and learn how to use it, it's the best, no question.

+1.

And...good luck when you rip/tear your non-issued kit in Butt-fuck-nowheres and ask the SQ/CQ to "exchange it".  Guess what you will get??

CF, standard issued kit.

Back