• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Windsor Police Officer Killed

Thompson_JM

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060505-009/page.asp

Reports from Windsor indicate a police officer in the border town has apparently been shot and killed and a huge manhunt has been launched for at least one escaped suspect.

Details about what happened are still sketchy, but it appears just after 2pm, an officer became involved in a confrontation with two men in a convenience store parking lot.

A clerk says she heard several loud bangs, then looked outside to see one man on the ground.

“She saw two young men out in the parking lot,” explains Patty Handysides of Chum Radio’s CKLW. “She didn't realize at first they had guns. Next thing she knew, she heard two shots. She looked out. She saw a man shooting back at the kids.

“He was bleeding profusely from the face, from the mouth area and then the two young men fled, one with a gun in his hand…

"The man fell to the ground with a badge and other police material on him falling out. She says he was in plain clothes and then was not moving after that.”

Hours after the crime, his body remained under a tarp and hadn't been taken away.

Other officers rushed to the area and took two young men into custody about 40 minutes later.

They're said to be between 18 and 22 years old.

But a third armed man who may have been involved fled the scene into an industrial area and authorities in Windsor have launched an intense search to find him.

“All off-duty officers have been called in. An R.C.M.P. helicopter has been called in. Tactical squads are combing the area,” Handysides adds.

“It's a massive manhunt underway in one part of our city. Residents are very nervous. All the schools, both elementary and high schools are on lockdown because of this, because of someone out there still carrying a handgun.”

Handysides says the suspect’s hiding place is amongst a number of large and spacious warehouses, affording him plenty of places to hide.

It doesn’t appear any of the others involved were wounded.

Lloyd Menard was in the Mac's Milk store when the shooting took place outside.

"At first, a couple of people thought they were just like poppers on the ground, but no, it was actually gunfire," he recalls. "My truck's got blood all over it, so those kids must have shot him right there."

The motive for the incident remains unknown, but Handysides agrees the town rarely sees such carnage.

“Gun crime is very low here, even though we're close to Detroit,” she outlines. “It's very low. This is a complete surprise. It's taken us all by surprise that this would happen in the city today.”

May 5, 2006

________________________________________________________________________________

RIP, May the Slimeball who did this be caught, and have a great deal of street justice administered to him...

Zip. You, and the entire Windsor Police Service have my Sympathy.

It's on the T.V. They have a video feed from an American helicopter that flew over. Details still sketchy.

R.I.P

“It's a massive manhunt underway in one part of our city. Residents are very nervous. All the schools, both elementary and high schools are on lockdown because of this, because of someone out there still carrying a handgun.”

It's a hard heart that kills....does make the current minimum sentencing debate seem more relevant. Wonder how long the murderer's charge sheet is.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060505/windsor_officer_shot_060505/20060505?hub=TopStories

Ontario police officer shot by two teens
Updated Fri. May. 5 2006 4:35 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A police officer in Windsor, Ont. was shot by two teens, and unconfirmed reports say he died as a result of his injuries on Friday afternoon.

"An officer has been shot outside the Mac's Milk convenience store at the corner of Seminole (Street) and Pillette (Road) in downtown Windsor," CHYR radio reporter Jamie Tawil told CTV Newsnet Friday.

The shooting reportedly occurred just after 2 p.m. A motive for the shooting is not known.

"The body is there covered by a blanket, although police won't officially tell us that the officer has died," AM 800 reporter Patty Handysides told CTV Newsnet.

Two suspects, one in his 20s and another believed to be 18, are reportedly in custody as a result of a massive police search. Unconfirmed reports say police are searching for a third suspect using an RCMP helicopter and police canine units.

"It's a massive search right now," Tawil said.

Two schools near the scene of the shooting have been locked down and residents have been asked to stay inside while the search is on-going.

Windsor police are refusing to comment on the incident and further details aren't immediately available.

Lloyd Menard was in the store at the time of the shooting. He says at first people didn't believe it was real. But he says his truck was covered in blood.

"At first, a couple of people thought they were just like poppers on the ground, but no, it was actually gunfire. My truck's got blood all over it, so those kids must have shot him right there."

An employee of the convenience store, identified as Emma, says she saw two young men in the parking lot when suddenly she heard shots.

"We heard gunshots and a guy was bleeding from his mouth and then we were told he was a policeman," she said.

As news of the shooting circulates around the southwestern Ontario city, people in the community are shocked.

"The whole city is ... very alarmed right now," Handysides said.

"This is very rare, indeed, for Windsor. Even though we are right across the river from Detroit, gun crime is low in Windsor and certainly death by gun is very, very rare," she told CTV's Newsnet Friday afternoon.

With files from The Canadian Press

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/05/windsor-shooting.html

Windsor police officer shot dead outside convenience store
Last Updated Fri, 05 May 2006 16:20:44 EDT
CBC News
A police officer in Windsor, Ont., was shot and killed on Friday outside a convenience store.

After a police officer was slain in Windsor, Ont., two people were reportedly taken in custody. (CBC)  
The shooting happened in the east end of the city just after 2 p.m. EDT.

Police have reportedly taken two people in custody and special tactical units are searching for a third suspect. As well, a canine unit is on the scene and helicopters are taking part in the search.

"There are dozens and dozens of police officers at the scene," CBC reporter Dale Molnar said.

"They have recovered a weapon, a gun, a short time ago."

Two schools in the area of the shooting were sealed off as a precaution, although Molnar said at least one had since been reopened.

"Students who bus or walk have been affected," local Windsor school official Doug Fox told CBC News.

'My truck's got blood all over it'

Lloyd Menard, who was in the store at the time of the shooting, told a local radio station what he saw and heard.

"At first, a couple of people thought they were just like poppers on the ground, but no, it was actually gunfire," he said. "My truck's got blood all over it."

An employee named Emma who works at the convenience store also heard the shots.

"We heard gunshots … and then we were told he was a policeman," she told a local radio station.

Laura Tullio, who was serving people in a nearby restaurant, spoke about the shooting with CBC News.

"A woman came running in and asked us to call 911," she said.

"It just didn't seem real," she said.

My condolances to the Constables family, colleagues and friends.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060505.wpolic0505/BNStory/National/home

No press release as of yet, but here is the link:

http://www.police.windsor.on.ca/Media%20Releases%202006/index.htm

There is supposedly a press conference called for 2000 tonight.

We've got friends and soldiers in the Windsor Police.

DG

The shooting occurred about 100m from my house (as the round flies).  Five area schools were on a lockdown that has since been lifted.  Lot's of rumours, are of course, bouncing around the neighbourhood.

To zipperhead-cop and your brothers and sisters in blue..... my condolences.    :salute:

Ripped to the downed officer.

condolences to our cousins in Blue

My condolences. But they are teens. We'll see what happens......

Windsor Police have now updated their site and put out a press release:
http://www.police.windsor.on.ca/Media%20Releases%202006/May%202006/Second%20Take.htm

Date: May 5, 2006
Windsor Police Officer Killed in Line of Duty

It is with deep regret that we confirm that an on-duty Windsor Police officer, 37-year-old- John Atkinson, has been killed in the line of duty.  At 2:05 p.m., Senior Constable John Atkinson has occasion to be in the area of Pillette Road and Seminole Street and apparently saw some suspicious men.  He approached the individuals and during this time a firearm was produced and the officer was shot.  Although struck by a bullet he was able to return fire.  Two suspects were seeing fleeing the area on foot after the shooting, leaving the officer lying on the sidewalk.  It is possible that when the suspects were fleeing, they discarded some items such as clothing.  The first suspect was described as white, male, in his teens wearing a black t-shirt.  The second suspect was described as white, male, in his teens, wearing a white, t-shirt and shorts.  Investigators are interested in information of anyone matching these descriptions, in the area before or after the incident, or anyone who may have had contact with them.

An immediate search of the area has resulted in the arrest of two, 18 year old Windsor men.  A firearm has been recovered but it is unknown if it was the weapon used in the shooting.  An intense investigation is ongoing with Inspector Greg Renaud heading a team of five Staff Sergeants and a large compliment of Detectives and investigators.  While some evidence has been recovered in the area of the search, canvassing of the area is expected to continue for some time.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Criminal Investigation Division at 255-6700 ext. 4830 or Crime Stoppers 

Zipperhead_Cop and the rest of those in blue in Windsor,

My thoughts are with you tonight.  My first thought when I heard the news was 'geez I hope it's none of the army.ca guys'.  I don't know what else to say, but I'm sorry for the lossandI hope you are all doing ok. 

Respect!

Hunter out.

Just a friendly reminder to all posting in this thread and any that may be related: Keep it civil and factual.

Anyone caught doing a repeat performance of some of the shenanigans that happened after the four Mounties were slain in Alberta will face an immediate ban - no questions asked. Show some respect for the fallen Officer, his family and coworkers, one of whom posts here and is a valued member of the site, IMO.

ZC: My thoughts are with you.

Hello,

I was in the vicinity of the area which was cordoned-off as they searched for the killers of this officer.  It was locked down like mad.

We usually don't have cop slayings in Windsor.  I am scared to say it's probably going (hope not) to be increasing.  Our economy is going down the tubes, more and more people are losing their jobs.  I am sure a lot of them are turning to selling drugs, prostitution, and gambling.  Our city is falling apart.

Scott said:
Just a friendly reminder to all posting in this thread and any that may be related: Keep it civil and factual.

Anyone caught doing a repeat performance of some of the shenanigans that happened after the four Mounties were slain in Alberta will face an immediate ban - no questions asked. Show some respect for the fallen Officer, his family and coworkers, one of whom posts here and is a valued member of the site, IMO.

ZC: My thoughts are with you.

my condolences to Zipperhead Cop and all the other brothers, sisters of Windsor Police and of course the family of the fallen officer.

:cdn: :salute:

My thanks and gratitude to all of you who have offered condolences to my Police family and myself.  As you can imagine, since the case is very fresh, I cannot comment as to the specifics.  However, to say that the suspects were "know to the police" is trite, however quite accurate. 
I now sit here with a dull buzzing feeling in the back of my head.  I just got home from being called in for duty, to assist in the area canvass for cast off evidence.  Although I take all police deaths somewhat personally, this has never happened to me.  Perhaps I have an idea of the inner conflicted feeling that those of you who have lost a brother or sister in battle have felt. 
John was one of our best.  He was a highly motivated man, who had an instinct for trouble that bordered on psychic.  He could both flip informants, and crack skulls when needed.  When I was first on the job, another recruit and I trained out of the old Sandwich Towne Precinct, and John was my buddies coach officer.  He had that priceless talent that I envy, the ability to pull a name or address out of nowhere.  I'm not good with names, and being a bit dyslexic addresses aren't my strong suit.  I got to work a car with him one time when we pulled a local g-ball for blowing through a stop sign.  The guy had something like 14 points on his licence, and another ticket with points was going to be the end for him.  John talked him into giving him some information, and ended up locating the location for around $30,000 worth of stolen electronics which had been taken from a local electronics store from a B&E.  It was a huge bust, and it only happened because John gave the guy the chance to dodge a $85 stop sign ticket.  Any of the coppers out there know the kind of guy I'm talking about.  Show up at a mess, and spin gold. 
John was an Intelligence officer, and specialized in anti-terrorism.  How ironic that his life be uselessly snuffed out by white trash Canadian scum that probably never left the borders of Windsor, unless they were transferred to a detention facility outside of the area. 
Now as I type, and think of a hundred things I want to say about John, and my tears make the screen hard to read, I keep coming back to the slightly evil smile that he had when he was closing in on a lead or a bad guy.  It was part cat with its prey, part 9 year old boy who hit his first home run, and you knew that someones day was going to be sucking fairly soon.  He loved this job, and he died protecting the people of Windsor. 
Now I will pack, polish my parade boots and get ready to go to Toronto in the morning to march in the Toronto Police Memorial Parade.  Then we will come back, stand post, and say good bye to a much loved Brother who deserved so much better that to be taken down for such a useless reason. 
God be with all of you, and protect you and the ones you love.

Zipperhead:
It sounds as though Windsor lost one of its finest.  I cannot find words to express my feelings accurately.  Stay strong, brother, and I pray for comfort for those left behind.

:cdn:

Back