• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will 2021 see a new pistol buy?

Will the CAF's new pistol be a:

• the new US service pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 (M17/M18)?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • the British version of the Glock 17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Beretta APX?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • a Canadian designed Black Creek Labs PX17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Norinco?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I hope the CAF has berrer luck with their pistols than milwaukee has been having.

Season 1 Holy Crap GIF by Rick and Morty

Officer Adam Maritato was unintentionally shot in the leg by another officer’s holstered gun.

I'm going to suspect there was some user/operator interaction with the subject gun which caused it to fire.

I'm going to suspect there was some user/operator interaction with the subject gun which caused it to fire.
Having seen both the USSS and FBI test data during the lifecycle - I personally wouldn’t ever issue anyone a Sig 320.

Depending on how many rounds went through the gun prior to the incident, it’s not unheard of.

Having seen both the USSS and FBI test data during the lifecycle - I personally wouldn’t ever issue anyone a Sig 320.

Depending on how many rounds went through the gun prior to the incident, it’s not unheard of.
Excessive sear wear or the possibility of incorrect reassembly?

Excessive sear wear or the possibility of incorrect reassembly?
I view it as a sub 12k gun - period. After that, the internals are shot, which is the serialized part.
Sure you can swap frames etc - and that has uses, but I tend to thing the alloys used aren't ideal for that role - and wear poorly.
I saw a couple of armor course guns that where flogged to being unsafe for shooting, within a few courses of students "working" on them.

In short, there is a reason SOCOM, the USSS and FBI went with Glock.
Most notable in USASOC, as they can get free guns from Big Army, and keep buying Glock's.

Now admittedly for most users the Sig 320 will last their service career, as very few folks are high round count shooters.
Those entities with 320's that do have high round shooters can most likely afford to toss the guns away at 10k rounds too with nary an afterthought.

The BHP's were around that with our almost P+ ammo. The nice thing is that buying new pistols is easy, well for everyone else that is.....

The BHP's were around that with our almost P+ ammo. The nice thing is that buying new pistols is easy, well for everyone else that is.....
The BHP was a ~15k gun with the SMG ammo, which was way over +P+
That also totally tore up Sig P226 and P225's leading to folks realizing that maybe the C1 SMG ammo wasn't idea for pistols...

I've got some pretty spicy ball loads from FN's MHS Submission, but they still chrono slower than the old CF SMG ammo (I still have a half box of that somehow).

I view it as a sub 12k gun - period. After that, the internals are shot, which is the serialized part...
Those entities with 320's that do have high round shooters can most likely afford to toss the guns away at 10k rounds too with nary an afterthought.
I've got about 8K through mine (3500 this year alone) and I can count the number of stoppages I've had on one hand. Very little apparent wear in the fire control group.

But that's me. If you're not me, YMMV.

I've got about 8K through mine (3500 this year alone) and I can count the number of stoppages I've had on one hand. Very little apparent wear in the fire control group.

But that's me. If you're not me, YMMV.
Is that your own 320, or do you guys use them for work now?

That's my own. I use it for IPSC, IDPA and steel matches. My agency just started the process to look at a new pistol.
Any compelling reason not to just piggyback on the RCMP’s buy? They’re pretty late stage in the procurement process. I have to think anything suitable for them should be suitable for you guys.

Any compelling reason not to just piggyback on the RCMP’s buy? They’re pretty late stage in the procurement process. I have to think anything suitable for them should be suitable for you guys.
I'm not sure, except that we decided to go down this road quite late in the RCMP procurement process which would've resulted in amending or re-starting the Mountie's RFP.

I'm not sure, except that we decided to go down this road quite late in the RCMP procurement process which would've resulted in amending or re-starting the Mountie's RFP.
I don’t mean changing theirs, just if your department could possibly say “hey, run off x number more of those once you build theirs”.

Obviously I haven’t a clue whether federal procurement allows such a thing. But I would hope a department with a same need as another one could leverage an existing procurement process for efficiency’s sake.

…Now that I re-read that, clearly I’m smoking dope. Thinking federal procurement could flow logically and efficiently.

I don’t mean changing theirs, just if your department could possibly say “hey, run off x number more of those once you build theirs”.
If an RFP does not include options for more, the government cannot exercise options for more. You are back out to re-compete.

If an RFP does not include options for more, the government cannot exercise options for more. You are back out to re-compete.
JNA a Sole Source to add to the RCMP buy.

Depend on your legal and contract folks it could be an easy one to justify, some will balk at it, but it’s effectively a duplication of effort if the PSpec is cloned from the RCMP and as such you just jump on the buy. It’s pretty common down here - even after award for other entities to MIPR money to the primary and get things off their contract by amendment to the contract ceiling.

Canadian Contracts don’t allow for JNA to add to contracts?

The devil would be in the details. I believe both agencies have custom engraving on their pistols now (mine certainly does) which would alter the terms of the RFP.
Obviously I haven’t a clue whether federal procurement allows such a thing. But I would hope a department with a same need as another one could leverage an existing procurement process for efficiency’s sake.
The needs are similar, but not the same. Also, the institutional culture is different. One has been armed for over 100 years, the other for less than twenty.
…Now that I re-read that, clearly I’m smoking dope. Thinking federal procurement could flow logically and efficiently.
I thought your account may have been hacked. :)

The devil would be in the details. I believe both agencies have custom engraving on their pistols now (mine certainly does) which would alter the terms of the RFP.

The needs are similar, but not the same. Also, the institutional culture is different. One has been armed for over 100 years, the other for less than twenty.

I thought your account may have been hacked. :)

Woke up super early. Haven’t poured enough coffee in my face hole yet.

Back