• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wild Animals

Startrupper

Inactive
Reaction score
How are combat related trades like infantrymen, combat eng, armored, etc, trained to deal with wild animals when it comes to self-defense?

CoA 1 avoid them
CoA 2 run faster than the next guy/girl

Startrupper said:
How are combat related trades like infantrymen, combat eng, armored, etc, trained to deal with wild animals when it comes to self-defense?

Use common sense, only training required.

I have seen Rangers used in the north for polar bears, and I have seen shotguns deployed in other places where there was a particular concern.  However, generally we just avoid the animals and maintain clean bivouacs. 

I recall quality time in Gagetown in my mis-spent youth chasing members of the Royal Bear Regiment out of our bivouac with thunderflashes.

cavalryman said:
I recall quality time in Gagetown in my mis-spent youth chasing members of the Royal Bear Regiment out of our bivouac with thunderflashes.

The Air Force has been known to use "bear bangers" at mess dinners.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/trial-ordered-in-bear-banger-case-1.261068

MCG said:
I have seen Rangers used in the north for polar bears, and I have seen shotguns deployed in other places where there was a particular concern.
Those are pretty tough Rangers if you use them instead of long arms against polar bears  ;D

milnews.ca said:
Those are pretty tough Rangers if you use them instead of long arms against polar bears  ;D

I don't remember the details very well, but a guy on my basic who was remustering from the army (medic or supply tech can't remember) said that when he was posted up North (Alert? details fuzzy...) there was an occasion where he or someone else (again, details fuzzy) encountered a polar bear, and it "attacked" them. They had their C7s with them for just this potential eventuality. He said they had to unload an entire magazine before the Bear went down.
:panic: :mg:

Lumber said:
I don't remember the details very well, but a guy on my basic who was remustering from the army (medic or supply tech can't remember) said that when he was posted up North (Alert? details fuzzy...) there was an occasion where he or someone else (again, details fuzzy) encountered a polar bear, and it "attacked" them. They had their C7s with them for just this potential eventuality. He said they had to unload an entire magazine before the Bear went down.
:panic: :mg:
That just may be a 'CF Arctic myth'. I've heard the same story except with FN's in the 70's. The entry and exit wounds would be much larger...

I was a safety man up north during a deployment in the mid '70s. I carried a FN with 20 rounds of Dominion .308 Winchester soft points. My ROEs were simple. If I brought one down, it better have powder burns on the fur.

Startrupper said:

Short answer: They're not.

Long answer: Read all the foregoing. (tl;dr: CAF members get trained to use a rifle, and issued ammunition and told to shoot if and when a credible threat may exist, which will never happen for most members.)

Mall ninja answer: Watch relevant and non-relevant Youtube videos, convince self of superiority over potential threat due to being a thinking and tool making primate, and buy a really fucking big anti-tank knife.

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWiPiks1sU

We did a Northern Viking (?) sovereignty exercise in Arviat in 1988, and since the C7s were not considered adequate defense against a polar bear each of our patrols had Rangers with .303s. Good thing we never considered going to war against the polar bears . . .

The mosquitoes are what you should really worry about. As Willy P said to me, "I need more bug juice, the mosquitoes out there will carry you away."

A general rule with all bears is don't shoot them in the head, it just pi$$es them off.  I can't imagine a C7 5.56mm round would have enough kinietic energy to seriously slow down an angry polar bear quickly enough.  The FN's 7.62mm round would have a better chance.  In either case, be prepared to shoot a lot and keep moving.

As I have been told by an Inuit elder in the Rangers, if confronted by a polar bear, always run and break to the left, by and large polar bears are right handed, and that way you will survive at least another 15 to 20 seconds more.

[:p    :subbies:

Wild animals are dangerous in their natural habitats (Legions, Country bars), so avoid them. If you somehow get dragged home by a cougar, know that they can be particularly vicious when you're leaving in the morning and you recognize her daughter in the kitchen. In that situation, your only hope is to run;  playing dead will just set you up for a mother/daughter ass-kicking.  :nod:

kkwd said:
The mosquitoes are what you should really worry about. As Willy P said to me, "I need more bug juice, the mosquitoes out there will carry you away."

t thought they did carry you off? You disappeared once on FTX and it took me weeks to do all the paper work before DW would issue me a replacement

Jees, I can't believe no one has said the "whack the person in your section/troop/det you hate the most in the kneecap" technique yet... ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
Jees, I can't believe no one has said the "whack the person in your section/troop/det you hate the most in the kneecap" technique yet... ;D

Also referred to by TWD fans as "pulling a Shane."

Back