• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WikiLeaks' Julian Assange wants to run for an Aussie Senate seat

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Great........
THE WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, wants to run for a seat in the Senate despite being under house arrest in Britain and facing possible extradition to Sweden.

''We have discovered that it is possible for Julian Assange to run for the Australian Senate while detained. Julian has decided to run,'' the WikiLeaks website announced on Twitter yesterday.

The organisation also wants to run a candidate against the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, in her seat of Lalor, which it misspelt as Laylor, earning a Twitter slapdown from the general secretary of NSW Labor, Sam Dastyari: ''Best they learn the seat's name.'' ....
Canberra Times, 18 Mar 12

I see it as a cynical ploy to obtain a diplomatic credential, there by obtaining a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Asshats of teh world unite!

From what I can understand, without the backing of one of the political parties the chances of getting elected as a Senator are pretty slim.

He's probably got dirt on some people who might be able to facilitate his acquisition of a senate seat

Assange has been granted political asylum by Ecuador. All he has to do is step out of the embassy for the drive to the airport. Unfortunately for him the UK has refused to grant him safe passage out of the country and will arrest him on sight. ;D

Sky is reporting that the Ecuadorians might just put him in a diplomatic car and catch the Eurostar.

They are also reporting that the UK might take matters into their own hands under a 20 year old law that, apparently, allows them to go into embassies and arrest wanted persons.

Scott said:
They are also reporting that the UK might take matters into their own hands under a 20 year old law that, apparently, allows them to go into embassies and arrest wanted persons.

That, I'd love to see.

Me too.

I was watching Sky earlier when, during a report, a taxi showed up with ''Julian Assange'' on a name board in the window >:D

Bump with the latest for the proposed "Senator representing the Ecuadorean Ambassy in London" - highlights mine ....
PLANS to set up an Australian WikiLeaks party are "significantly advanced", the whistleblowing organisation's most visible member says.

Julian Assange has told Fairfax Media he intends to run for a Senate seat in the next election, adding that "a number of very worthy people admired by the Australian public" have expressed interest in standing for a yet-to-be registered Australian WikiLeaks party.

A draft party constitution has been prepared and is being subjected to legal review, Fairfax reports.
Party registration with the Australian Electoral Commission would require confirmation of at least 500 members listed on the electoral roll.

Mr Assange told Fairfax he had not yet registered to vote but believes he will be able to register in either NSW or Victoria as an overseas voter.

A "strategic decision" would determine which state he would run to represent, he said.

The Australian citizen has been holed up in Ecuador's London embassy since taking refuge there in June in a bid to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces questioning over rape allegations.

Mr Assange is concerned that if he goes to Sweden, authorities will allow him to be extradited to the United States to be questioned over WikiLeaks' release of thousands of US diplomatic cables ....
news.com.au, 13 Dec 12

Hmmm, let's see - what do you need to be to run for Senator in Australia?  Again, highlights mine....
.... To stand for either House, a person must be:

•at least 18 years old; and

•an Australian citizen; and

•an elector entitled to vote or a person qualified to become an elector.

In 1901, the requirements for qualification were different but the Constitution gave the Parliament power to change these requirements and it has done so on several occasions (see sections 16 and 34 of the Constitution and section 163 of the CEA).

A person who is a member of the House of Representatives or a State or Territory legislature must resign before being eligible to stand for the Senate (see section 43 of the Constitution and section 164 of the CEA). A person may not make multiple nominations (section 165 of the CEA).

Section 44 of the Constitution provides further limitations on eligibility. A person cannot be chosen as a senator if he or she:

•is a citizen or subject of a foreign power; or

•is attainted of treason; or

•has been convicted and is under sentence, or subject to be sentenced, for an offence under Commonwealth or State law punishable by a prison sentence of 12 months or more; or

•is an undischarged bankrupt; or

•holds an office of profit under the Crown; or

•has a pecuniary interest in any agreement with the Commonwealth Public Service (except as a member of an incorporated company of more than 25 people) ....
Convicted?  Not yet....

But would the constitutional limitation for convictions be triggered by a conviction under a law other than that of Australia?  Not clear to me on the text.

Privateer said:
But would the constitutional limitation for convictions be triggered by a conviction under a law other than that of Australia?  Not clear to me on the text.

Ummm?  You do know what the COMMONWEALTH (highlighted in YELLOW) is?  Right?

•has been convicted and is under sentence, or subject to be sentenced, for an offence under Commonwealth or State law punishable by a prison sentence of 12 months or more;

I think in this instance it means the Commonwealth of Australia, rather than the more general commonwealth of nations.

Back