• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why TOETs are important

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
By "Rack" you mean "****", right?  I mean, I understand the "new drills", and I use them, by why come up with "sexy" new names?

Anyway, back to the thread.  Just my little pet peeve alert.

Thats just how I was taught them  ::)

NL_engineer said:
Thats just how I was taught them  ::)
Ditto.  But I asked that very question of the instructor
"So, when you say 'rack', I cock the weapon, right?"
"Yes"
"Oh, ok. Then why don't you say 'tap, cock and fire'?"

Say what you mean, and mean what you say, otherwise, I was prepared to play pool or something  >:D

dan005e said:
I'm really curious as to what would cause a weapon to malfunction like that.

Watching the video a few times it looks like the weapon fires one round, tries to fire another, takes the mag off and cocks it; at which point the guy in the red moves in front of the camera. Since he does you cant see whether or not a round is ejected. Then the mag is placed back on, readied, and he fires which leads to it going kaboom. The magazine is ejected, most likely because of whatever went wrong and something is left dangling out of the magazine housing. Too long to be a round and the mag is visible on the table. So what could that be? Piece of the magazine still in the housing?

What could cause this to happen, faulty ammo or a round impacting an obstruction?
He could have possibly had a 'sqib' round. One where the primer fires but there's no powder. The primer will provide enough oomph to push the bullet into the barrel, but not out of it. Obstructed barrel and the next round will likely kaboom it. Happens to handloaders that are not paying attention when reloading their cases and when firing their guns afterwards, with said reloads.

Idle speculation on my part though. Don't want to be accused of anything ::)

Ok so that explains the possible reason why it could have exploded like that, but then what is left in the magazing housing just after the explosion? It appears to be something solidly in there as it doesnt come out when the mag comes off, and as the shooter puts it on the table it is still in the mag housing.

dan005e said:
Ok so that explains the possible reason why it could have exploded like that, but then what is left in the magazing housing just after the explosion? It appears to be something solidly in there as it doesnt come out when the mag comes off, and as the shooter puts it on the table it is still in the mag housing.

The way it looks to me is the mag didn't come off. Just blew the guts out of it.

That first video is why I'll never reload my ammo.  Sure, you'll probably save some money, but mess up once, and you can blow up your weapon and lose some fingers.  And if the guy has to slam on the forward assist at all to get the thing to go into battery, then something is wrong with the weapon.  Really his fault all the way (using crappy ammo, and not knowing and maintaining his weapon).

NL_engineer said:
Its the new IA drill for everything but an empty mag (because its no longer a stoppage)

Just as an FYI, Tap, Rack Bang was "new" in the late 80's or possibly before - the CF is just (as usual) about 3-4 generations behind the private sector WRT small arms doctrine..

Dominus - you are making a ton of assumptions that the primary causational factor for the kB was a reloaded round.  Perhaps if you have that little faith in your own ability to pay attention to detail and handload, it is best that you d don't.  I am approaching the 250K mark WRT handloading (not reloading - if you want to know the difference, let me know) without a problem of any kind...

blake

mudgunner49 said:
Just as an FYI, Tap, Rack Bang was "new" in the late 80's or possibly before - the CF is just (as usual) about 3-4 generations behind the private sector WRT small arms doctrine..

No surprise to me  ::)  ya well, it only took 20 + years  ::)

mudgunner49 said:
So, we follow the private sector when it comes to small arms doctrine now? ::)

So, we follow the private sector when it comes to small arms doctrine now? ::)

The private sector always leads - and they do it better and cheaper!!!

The advancement of anything is always driven by enthusiasts - you find better ways to do things when you love the work.  This is true of very few soldiers, it's usually just a part of the job for them.

Jeff Gordon would not be a NASCAR driver if he didn't love the job and excel at it ...

Ever watch Robbie Leatham shoot??  His company motto is "Where shooting is a way of life..." --- that's a love of the sport.  And that's also why he is on a 240K per year retainer to teach shooting to the US mil Tier 1 units.  That's right - a guy with no mil service teaching SF/NSW/HSLD guys how to shoot folks in the face.  Imagine that - the military actually learning from the private sector... :eek:

mudgunner49 said:
The private sector always leads - and they do it better and cheaper!!!
(remainder deleted)
Then send the private sector off to war.

Then send the private sector off to war.

Well, they are, aren't they? Viz: Private Military Companies, plus a host of other similar private sector contributions to various conflicts bubbling around the globe. I'm pretty sure that it was Balckwater guys burned to a crisp and dangling from a bridge in Baghdad back a few years ago.

daftandbarmy said:
Well, they are, aren't they? Viz: Private Military Companies, plus a host of other similar private sector contributions to various conflicts bubbling around the globe. I'm pretty sure that it was Balckwater guys burned to a crisp and dangling from a bridge in Baghdad back a few years ago.
My point exactly.  I'm aware of blackwater guys doing there thing around the world; however, they are NOT fighting wars.  They may be fighting within wars, but then we get to fuzzy interpretations of international law (not the point of this thread).

I'm talking about armies of private military countries doing was militaries do around the world.

Pardon my intrusion -

But I do think that there are some lessons in the private sector we can learn and benefit from. I'm not suggesting that we look to them for all of our future training / doctrine, but I am saying it wouldn't hurt to look around.

I think the private sector outstrips the military in other areas - look at the whole load bearing gear situation in Soviet Canuckistan. I know that's somewhat off topic, but I thought it deserved mention.

Edited to fix grammar.

PatrickO said:
Pardon my intrusion -

But I do think that there are some lessons the private sector we can learn and benefit from. I'm not suggesting that we look to them for all of our future training / doctrine, but I am saying it wouldn't hurt to look around.

I think the private sector outstrips the military in other areas - look at the whole load bearing gear situation in Canada. I know that's somewhat off topic, but I thought it deserved mention.
I agree with you that the military can indeed learn lessons from the private sector.  And vice versa, I would suggest.  I took the previous poster's implication that the private sector always did things better than the military, that's all.
By the way, in the original video, wasn't it a civilian that had problems?  I guess they aren't immune (yes, I realise that some military personnel have also buggered up on the range: I'm not implying that the military is perfect, just that neither private sector nor military is perfect).

I agree with you that the military can indeed learn lessons from the private sector.  And vice versa, I would suggest.  I took the previous poster's implication that the private sector always did things better than the military, that's all.
By the way, in the original video, wasn't it a civilian that had problems?  I guess they aren't immune (yes, I realise that some military personnel have also buggered up on the range: I'm not implying that the military is perfect, just that neither private sector nor military is perfect).

I did not say nor (I believe) imply that this is the case in all areas, however WRT to SA training I firmly beieve it to be the case.  This is not something that you should take as personally as you obviously are, as the military is a large organization that is very resistant to change and in fact cannot change quickly even when change is adopted.

The fact of the matter is still that enthusiasts drive development and this has always been the case as regards the development of new training techniques, advanced loads and calibers, and doctrine.  Witness as one "for instance" the development of the Mk262 Mod0 and subsequent versions of the 77gr (and other heavy for caliber) 5.56 ammunition.  It was completely the purview of the competion shooters (newsflash - these are primarily civilians) and the round was adopted by the SF world originally for it's accuracy at extended range, and the enhanced terminal effects were just a happy coincidence.  One example of many.

Not trying to be adversarial here, but attempting to deny that the mil is several generations behind the civ world (in this regard at least) does not make it less so...

be safe,

blake

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I heard the TOETs/C7 Standard haves changed and would love a video on that meets the new C7 drill standards

TheSnake said:
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I heard the TOETs/C7 Standard haves changed and would love a video on that meets the new C7 drill standards

Yup, our handling drills have been significantly modernized.

Check the end of this thread for the ACIMS link.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/128334.0

Brihard said:
Yup, our handling drills have been significantly modernized.

Check the end of this thread for the ACIMS link.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/128334.0

I check the link at the end, the link doesn't work

Back