• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why TOETs are important

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Next time anyone wonders "why are we're doing TOETs & IAs and Stoppages AGAIN?", you can show them these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBGwZHHq18o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSRq36n0CB0&feature=related

Whoever was firing that M16 in the first video was almost asking for the thing to explode... repeatably banging on the magazine and unnecessary usage of the forward assist.

IAs and stoppages of a 60mm mortar..... or is this counterbattery fire......

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=162163&page=1
Allah calls one home. Video made by the bad guys! His friends praising Allah as this guy is launching mortar shots at American troops. Mortar tracking technology can track the trajectory of a hostile round and fire a retaliatory shot to precisely the spot where the hostile shell was fired from. (20.35s)

DarkFire said:
Whoever was firing that M16 in the first video was almost asking for the thing to explode... repeatably banging on the magazine and unnecessary usage of the forward assist.

Neither of which will cause a rifle to kaBoom - you're out of your lane...

blake

mudgunner49 said:
Neither of which will cause a rifle to kaBoom - you're out of your lane...
True but hitting the magazine like that will increase the possibility of a jam. Honestly I have no idea why the weapon would explode like that, but he should have at least checked to see what was the cause of the jam...

DarkFire said:
True but hitting the magazine like that will increase the possibility of a jam. Honestly I have no idea why the weapon would explode like that, but he should have at least checked to see what was the cause of the jam...

Last I checked the video, I never saw a JAM.

Possibly primer struck, possibly no round was loaded as it was hard to see any ejection due to lighting in some instances.
But I did not see a Jam, i.e. obstruction of round / bolt partially forward occur.

I'm starting to regret my choice of words. I simply meant that he should have checked to see why the rifle wasn't firing, instead of simply banging on the magazine which would only cause more problems.

DarkFire, you're still out of your lane.  Suggest you stop now and go on listening silence on this particular topic.

The Army.ca staff

Personally, I think you should quit your whining about him and correct him, teach him why he's wrong so that he learns something rather than just try to shut him up... That would be much more effective and productive.

DarkFire said:

Will it now? Does Tap, Rack, and Go ring a bell?

Forgotten_Hero said:
quit your whining about him and correct him, teach him why he's wrong so that he learns something

Here's your chance to do that.  Go.

Any more direction for the staff you'd like to pass on?  We're all ears.

The Army.ca Staff

Yeah, Ill pass on any more thoughts as I see fit. As for correcting him, I've already pmed him.

Forgotten_Hero said:
Yeah, Ill pass on any more thoughts as I see fit. As for correcting him, I've already pmed him.

But in so doing, you've denied all other board readers the benefit of your wisdom.

So which is it going to be - guide and develop all members or just some?

Good point. In that case I will post the contents of the pm. Afterall, I dont stick around the forums to just badger people.

Banging the foreward assist will not hurt the round at all. It simply pushes the bolt into the round and pushes the round into the chamber if it is not already fully foreward. Repeatedly banging it will not accomplish anything, for better or worse. As for banging the bottom of the mag, the reason its not "supposed" to be done is because you can bend the lips on the top of the mag, which can cause the mag to hold the rounds lower and they may not be "picked up" by the bolt. 

I'm really curious as to what would cause a weapon to malfunction like that.

Watching the video a few times it looks like the weapon fires one round, tries to fire another, takes the mag off and cocks it; at which point the guy in the red moves in front of the camera. Since he does you cant see whether or not a round is ejected. Then the mag is placed back on, readied, and he fires which leads to it going kaboom. The magazine is ejected, most likely because of whatever went wrong and something is left dangling out of the magazine housing. Too long to be a round and the mag is visible on the table. So what could that be? Piece of the magazine still in the housing?

What could cause this to happen, faulty ammo or a round impacting an obstruction?

NL_engineer said:
Will it now? Does Tap, Rack, and Go ring a bell?
By "Rack" you mean "Cock", right?  I mean, I understand the "new drills", and I use them, by why come up with "sexy" new names?

Anyway, back to the thread.  Just my little pet peeve alert.

Back