• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Why Me"

meffers

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been working on my paper work for enlistment and it seems the more I do the more the pit in my stomach grows.  Hundreds of doubts, thoughts and questions are always circulating in my mind but the ones that are bothering me the most are as follows:

1. I have had sporadic jobs up until the last two years, never even working a full year, most of them I quit to find greener pastures except the job I was fired from around this time last year.  Since then I have stuck with the company I am currently with (early April will be 1 year).  I can only imagine what kind of picture this paints for me.  I do admit that my priorities in the last few years were severely misplaced. But I have worked hard on maturing my mind and attitude, placing my job before all else and trying to take the initiative whenever I can, though none of that can be determined on paper. I feel that until I am able to plead my case and in any way, shape or form prove that I am not the same person I used to be, I will just be overlooked as just  another civvy who thinks that joining the army is the "cool thing to do" just because of the glamour that movies and video games give it.

2. How crucial is getting the dates correct on all of my employment history and activities? I can't exactly remember the dates I started and finished my first few jobs, and do not wish to supply incorrect or unfinished information ( eg. only supplying months, instead of dates).  Would it be unreasonable of me to expect my former jobs to still have my ROE (dating back to 2006)?

3. If any info on my forms is incomplete or incorrect, will my application be tossed and my name blacklisted? By "incorrect" I mean having the dates of employment or social activities wrong, not intentionally supplying false information. If not, what are the means for permanent refusal (besides failing the CFAT twice)

4. My academic history is not exactly sterling either.  Growing up with ADD was a challenge, not making excuses, but the disorder came with lots of baggage. It would factor into almost my entire academic life from my study habits to paying attention in class to the stigmata that is carried with it as well (eg. being branded "that retard who had to take his `retard pills` every lunch").  All of that plus other outside influences contributed to my negative attitude towards school, but not learning (your typical "I am intelligent, I just never got good grades'' case). I should also ask, when filling out my education history, should I include that I dropped out of my high school in grade 12? I finished my education the following year (under my own desire) at a different institute. The one thing that should stand in my favour on this subject is that I did quite well on my CFAT (my job options barely fit on 1 side of the paper and included NCO and Officer occupations)

5. Will I be seen as having ADD still (I have been off medication since grade 11)?  It certainly doesn't affect me the way it used to, and I had to work at it for many years for it to be that way. I consider any sort of ''residual effects'' of the ADD to be character flaws, and, like any other character flaw, can be ironed out with hard work and the fact that I want to become a better person/soldier (should I get the chance) and change those flaws.  Also, I pray that it won't, but will it cause any sort of special treatment in any way at all?

But the biggest question I have overall and the one that all of my other questions and fears tie into is, Why Me?  The way I look at it is, there have got to be thousands of people applying for the CF, why would someone as seemingly unqualified as myself be considered when I'm sure there are hundreds out there with better looking grades/applications? I mean its not as if there is a draft going around, there isn't exactly an abundance of positions available, why me?

I think the fact that this is the thing that I want to shape my future with is causing me to be more concerned than I should be, but the thought of never being able to serve honestly scares the living s*** outta me.  The fact that I am up at 6:12 local time writing this, after working a 9 hour day plus taking an extra strength sleep-aid and haven`t slept yet should say enough.

I do realize that a lot of these questions can be answered by a recruiter and I do intend to talk to one, but I would also like to hear the community's thoughts, just so I know the right questions to ask when I go down to the Armories.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I desperately need to put my mind and body to rest (mostly my mind).

P.S. I should include that I am applying in the reserves to begin with, figure its better to get your legs wet than to jump in head first. And does anyone else have similar concerns or am I just being a pansy?

meffers said:
The one thing that should stand in my favour on this subject is that I did quite well on my CFAT (my job options barely fit on 1 side of the paper and included NCO and Officer occupations)

At the risk of apearing to be unsuportive, you need to let go of that. It is an aptitude test, not a major accomplishment. It indicates potential aptitude for certain trades, not that you should be mentoring Albert Einstein. If you qualified for all trades, you will get to apply for the one you want, thats it thats all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I desperately need to put my mind and body to rest (mostly my mind).

Relax and get some sleep, it will be more productive.

I'll answer your questions in order:
1. Explain why to the recruiter. Yea, its plays bearing on who you are, but most people have shotty work histories at the beginning. IE: I went through 10 jobs in 3 years before being at my current civvy job for 5 years. Look at it from that perspective.

2. How crucial is getting the dates correct on all of my employment history and activities?  You can contact Service Canada and obtain your work history for the past 10yrs by your SIN card.

3. If any info on my forms is incomplete or incorrect, will my application be tossed and my name blacklisted? On the application it says "to your knowledge". If you had a job from June 2005-May 2006 but it was actually May 2005-June 2006, it won't play a giant card in anything. If you 'believe' those are the dates, then you aren't lying, but if you are like 6 months off on dates, then I would strongly suggest to check with Service Canada. I had a shotty work history, ordered my ROE's (records of employment) and got them via Canada Post for free within a week.

4. My academic history is not exactly sterling either. You were found eligible for your trades and some of the people you could be applying against could only have their grade 10. Don't sell yourself short, you have your diploma.

5. Will I be seen as having ADD still (I have been off medication since grade 11)?  You WILL need a doctor's letter and recomendation. The Med Tech WILL give you the form to be filled out. Normally they will ask you to wait a year after being off the meds before they will proceed with your application. You've been off for a year, so your Doctor will have to fill out the form saying whether or not you're fit to serve in their opinion.

But the biggest question I have overall and the one that all of my other questions and fears tie into is, Why Me?  The way I look at it is, there have got to be thousands of people applying for the CF, why would someone as seemingly unqualified as myself be considered when I'm sure there are hundreds out there with better looking grades/applications? I mean its not as if there is a draft going around, there isn't exactly an abundance of positions available, why me? The only person who can answer the "Why Me" question is yourself. You made your life's choices, as much as you can't erase them, you can show that you learned from them by doing better. The recruiter and Med Tech can answer the rest.

P.S. I should include that I am applying in the reserves to begin with, figure its better to get your legs wet than to jump in head first. And does anyone else have similar concerns or am I just being a pansy? Good call..

meffers said:
...to the stigmata that is carried with it as well ...

You should probably see your priest if you have the wounds of Christ, instead of a CF recruiter.

jwtg said:
You should probably see your priest if you have the wounds of Christ, instead of a CF recruiter.

Had to laugh at that.

Correct term is Stigma, for $300 Alex.

meffers said:
1. I have had sporadic jobs up until the last two years, never even working a full year, most of them I quit to find greener pastures except the job I was fired from around this time last year.  Since then I have stuck with the company I am currently with (early April will be 1 year). 

2. How crucial is getting the dates correct on all of my employment history and activities? I can't exactly remember the dates I started and finished my first few jobs, and do not wish to supply incorrect or unfinished information ( eg. only supplying months, instead of dates).  Would it be unreasonable of me to expect my former jobs to still have my ROE (dating back to 2006)?

3. If any info on my forms is incomplete or incorrect, will my application be tossed and my name blacklisted?

These dates/timelines are important.  You will require a continuous timeline of locations where you lived, places where your worked or went to school, etc. for your Security Check.

All of your information entered on the Security Clearance Form (TBS/SCT 330-60E) must be entered to leave no gaps in dates.  This means that there has to be no gaps in dates for your education, work and place of residence.  If you have a gap of a month between dates the form will be bounced back to you.  If you do have a problem with any of this, due to memory or a reference having changed their address or phone number, you can fill out a Statutory Declaration to clear up any possible omissions (which is acceptable by the people doing your screening).

If you can not obtain an Enhanced Reliability Clearance ( the lowest Clearance possible ) you will not be accepted into the CF. 

My best advice to you, and to many other young folks who seem to work themselves into a frenzy over this stuff, is to relax.  Now, take a deep breath and come back to the rational world.  It's been over 25 years since I've seen the inside of a Recruiting Centre (other than to look at the latest cool model or poster), but I can't believe things have changed so much in that time that would cause this amount of stress.  Let's take a look at a few things:

1)  Picture the baboon in the Lion King whacking you on the head with a stick right now.  It doesn't matter.  It's in the past.  You can't change it.  Sitting around lamenting all the things you didn't do or should have done differently, won't do you any good.  So, stop worrying about it.  If you need to upgrade your education, take a course and do that.  Otherwise, move on.  The fact that you quit school and then went back later to get your diploma is irrelevant.  All that really matters is that you completed it.  As an aside, your post is better written than those of many high school and even university graduates on this forum (other than your apparent claim to the wounds of Christ  ;D), so take some comfort in that.

2)  No one's past is perfectly documented down to the minute.  The last time I filled out a Personal History Form (for a security clearance), it was only concerned with month to month timings, so don't get too concerned if you can't remember the exact day.  If there really is something you can't remember, there's a process for that (Statutory Declaration).

3)  As long as you are not habitually getting fired, the number of jobs in your work history is not a big deal.  Sometimes we call that, "broad and varied experience."

4)  The only thing that will cause you grief in the enrollment process is if you lie.  Forgetting is not lying.  As long as you are up front and tell the truth, the recruiters will get you through it.  Remember, their task is to help you join the CF, not to find inventive ways to keep you out.

5)  The CFAT is an aptitude test, not an entrance exam.  Funny story:  When my father went to join the army back in the Stone Age, he did very well on the mechanical aptitude section.  Essentially, because he could identify and state what every tool shown on the test was used for, the results concluded that he would be a good mechanic or carpenter.  The problem is that my father is completely inept at all things mechanical.  The only reason he knew the tools was because his father was a cabinetmaker and all-round handyman who owned all the tools on the test.  The handy gene doesn't necessarily get passed on from father to son (in fact, in our case, it seems to skip generations).  Take aptitude tests with a grain of salt.  They are a start, not the definitive authority.

6)  Although you may feel that you are inadequate with all the faults you have found in your own application, you really aren't that unique.  There are many fine and productive members and former members of the CF who have had or will have great careers ahead of them.

At the end of the day, you can't fail at something unless you try something.  Don't defeat yourself.  Continue with your application process and let the recruiters help you.  If you have questions, ask for advice and hang in there.  Once again, relax and get some sleep.

Much thanks, this at least gives me some direction in terms of what questions I should ask when I head down to the RC tomorrow.

As for the stigmata, I should have known that, my dad is an Anglican minister...-_-

Back