• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why don't more Canadians fly the flag?

toyotatundra

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/summer/why-dont-more-canadians-fly-the-flag/article2082072/

“I love it,” he says of the flag. “It means the greatest country in the world.”

That kind of unbridled love of country is a rarity in Canada, with the exception of the Olympics, Stanley Cup finals and, of course, Canada Day. July 1 may see plenty of waving flags, but then they go back into storage. Into the basement. Back in a box in the garage. Anywhere but still on display.

Despite decades of efforts, some of them controversial, to get more Canadians to fly the flag as much as our neighbours to the south do, we still have an ambivalent relationship with the Maple Leaf, loving what it stands for but not wanting to make too much of it.

It is my experience that Canadians are a quite and unassuming group, who don't need the trappings on wearing your patriotism on you sleeve to remind themselves that they are citizens of the greatest country on earth.

But put a Canadian anywhere else in the world, and challenge said patriotism, prepare to have your jersey pulled over your head, and receive a stick upside the head.

IMO, flying the Canadian Flag in Canada is the same idea as wearing university logo clothing while in that university's campus.  You don't really need to show off how much you love your country by advertising it to members of the same group. 

However, if I'm anywhere other than Canada, I make sure to bring some Canadian-themed clothes  ;)

Dimsum said:

However, if I'm anywhere other than Canada, I make sure to bring some Canadian-themed clothes  ;)

Strange, i could have sworn you were in the JMSDF.

The only time that I have flown a flag on my house was when I lived in Washington DC - and out of respect I also flew the US flag, except on Canada Day when the maple leaf flew solo.

Back