• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

Gunplumber said:
Hey it might have been worse. I could have been a cavalry man.........with spurs.

;D

They come in handy when out on the town.  If I get too hammered, I can be wheeled home like a wheelbarrow. 

I am joining for reasons.

Reasons include:

Pride. How can my kids be proud of me working in a Call Centre. The smiles on their faces seeing me in uniform, know that in one way or form that I am serving and protecting the country they live in is enough for me.

Security. Pension, Benefits, a guaranteed job once I'm in and being my best, and depending on the trade I pickup, experience in something I can take into civvie life come retirement if I get too bored.

Companionship. BMQ will consist of a great group of guys and gals who I will most definitely bond with and hopefully form lifelong friendships with.

Life experience. Postings from one end of our broad country to the other. A mix of cultures, foods, and landscapes and most of all forming friendships with many others in uniform from every walk of life.

definitely the people. I've met some of the best people in my short CF career  :salute:

Why the military for me?

I started building Lego houses, moved on to building treehouses, then building and administering computer networks,  then  back to building houses (only real ones).
I'm 34 and don't feel like there is a trade outside the military that could challenge me mentally or physically like one inside.
I've always done the schooling, training and apprenticeships associated with my career paths, and I have always been fairly disappointed by the quality of the education.
From what I have read, and the people I have talked to, I'm fairly convinced that the military will help me push myself beyond my perceived limits, and provide me with the training tools I need to excel.
I'm really looking forward to finally living up to my childhood dreams.
That and both my wife wants to see me in uniform  ;)

Wish me luck, just waiting on my background check to clear.
;D

for me the army intrest started early, as it did for most kids in my generation. playing with army men action figures and various others. As i came up in the world i knew that i wanted to work on cars, trucks, any thing with a motor. After high school i started my mechanics apprenticeship at a local mechanics shop. Now a qualified mechanic i am always looking for a new challenge, new equipment and the biggest and baddest vehicles to work with. So as no suprise i applied to be a vehicle technician in the CF in Jan of 2010. Only to find out that my trade was closed until April 2011. i was pretty discouraged for some time afterwards. it made me take a close look at why i really wanted to join up. My reasons were pretty lame in my eyes. i mean sure fixing a LAV or tank would be the height of my career, but that was really the only reason. After being "waitlisted" and asked if i wanted a different trade i began to look an all kinds of forums ( like this one, and a few others), watching every video i could find online. until i found the "Basic up" series. after watching both seasons i found that there was alot of direction, and comradery missing in my personal life as well as my professional career. so i started do alot of digging around on this site, reading every thing that i thought had to do with "me and my situation". I now have come to the conclusion that after the holidays i will contact the CFRC in my area and start the process again. until then i am restarting my training plans.
Wish me luck.  :army:

The pride that comes with serving my country.

I need more discipline, routine, and challenges to thrive.

The sense of adventure, the new family you end up being a part of, learning to prioritize better.

Exercise, being outside, the potential to advance me education. To learn a whole new set of skills. To be a part of something bigger than myself. I'm growing weary of the seasonal/farm work I do. Come winter, I always end up stuck inside for a couple months, and I'm just not having that anymore. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror every morning and respect what I see.

There are more reasons, but I'm not up to writing a 2000 word essay today.

It was in my genes.  I'm fourth generation military.  My Uncle was Black Watch/RCR, my grandfather was Airforce, and my Great Grandfather was Union Army during the US Civil War

JSR OP said:
my grandfather was Airforce, and my Great Grandfather was Union Army during the US Civil War

That is impressive!  :salute:

JSR OP said:
It was in my genes.  I'm fourth generation military.  My Uncle was Black Watch/RCR, my grandfather was Airforce, and my Great Grandfather was Union Army during the US Civil War

That's some long lifespans... looking at your profile you have about 10 years on me... my great-grandfather served in WW1. :)

MMSS said:
That's some long lifespans... looking at your profile you have about 10 years on me... my great-grandfather served in WW1. :)

Yes, it seems that way.  I was born in 1971, my uncle was born in the late 1930's, my Grandfather was born in 1900, and my
great grandfather was born in 1837.

My dad was a baby boomer born in 1947 when my grandfather returned from England after the war.  He and my grandmother were in their late 40's when my dad was born, and my Great Grandfather had a  younger 2nd wife (by 10 yrs).

JSR OP said:
Yes, it seems that way.  I was born in 1971, my uncle was born in the late 1930's, my Grandfather was born in 1900, and my
great grandfather was born in 1837.

My dad was a baby boomer born in 1947 when my grandfather returned from England after the war.  He and my grandmother were in their late 40's when my dad was born, and my Great Grandfather had a  younger 2nd wife (by 10 yrs).

Your great-grandmother was a remarkable woman by giving birth at age 53.

mariomike said:
Your great-grandmother was a remarkable woman by giving birth at age 53.

Now I have to go through the family tree....  That doesn't sound right.

My Great Grandfather, George Cross is born 1837, sails across the Atlantic from Greenock, Scotland with his parents and take up residence on Upper Longue Sault, or Baxter's Island, which is now called Croil's Island, N.Y.  George joins the US Army -Company K., 92nd Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry.  He took part in many famous Civil War battles such as the Battle of the Wilderness, Battle of Spottsylvania, Battle of Chancelerville, and the Battle of Fair Oaks, all of which were in Virginia.  He was raised to rank of corporal and was selected as one of the sharpshooters.  At the end of the war, he was honourably discharged and  in 1884 he moved to Canada, and in 1890, he became a British Subject.  In 1895, he gets married to his second wife Ellen Brydges when he's 57 yrs old.  His new bride  is 25yrs old.

My Grandfather, John Cross is born in 1900 in Aultsville Ontario.  Great Grandfather George is 63 yrs old and Great Grandmother Ellen is 30 yrs old.  I don't have a lot of info on John's military career during WWII.  I believe he completed Basic Training in Petawawa, and he served in England as a Bombardier with the RCAF.  I don't know anything of his wartime record....yet.  After the war, he owned a garage in Aultsville, and was a very good hockey player.  He drowned in 1950, trying to save my 3 yr old father from who had fallen in one of the locks that ran up the St Lawrence River.

My Father never served, but his brother Malcolm Cross served in the Black Watch and in the Royal Canadian Regiment in the 60's and 70's.  Malcolm was born in the mid 1930's.  I know he got into a bit of trouble during his time in the military.  The RCMP had come to our house when I was very young looking for him after he went AWOL once or twice.

My father is the youngest, born in 1947 about 9 months after my grandfather got back from England.  My grandfather was 47 and my grandmother was 43.

There you have it.  the shortened version of my military genome.  Four generations, even if it not direct.

Hope that clears up the questions of age.  I don't know where 53 came from...

My reasons for joining (planning to, right after im done highschool)...

1. Life experience - I want to be a cop, so I figured it would be a good way to get some life experience, which they want you to have before becomng one.
2. Famliy traditions - I had many relatives join up, and everyone in our family has a very high respect for those in the military.
3. My country - Honestly, it might sound corny, but I love Canada, and I want to do my part for this great country.
4. It's exciting - My friends are going to be teachers, accountants, etc.... my job is going to be way more exciting than theirs!
5. Making a difference - Helping keep the peace, helping to save lives, etc.

:)
:cdn:

TheBeatles193 said:
My reasons for joining (planning to, right after im done highschool)...

4. It's exciting - My friends are going to be teachers, accountants, etc.... my job is going to be way more exciting than theirs!
:)
:cdn:

Remember this post when your on sentry at 03h00 in the freezing cold for the 10th night. Looking towards the horision you can see the lights of town. They couldnt afford enemy force or even blanks, and the only thing sentry is accomplishing is ensuring your running on 4 hours sleep.

Meanwhile Tom the teacher is home correcting exams watching CSI Miami having a beer. And Joe is at the bar with Sally the new accounting chick who works two cubicles down.

And both are making more money than you. ;D

dogger1936 said:
Remember this post when your on sentry at 03h00 in the freezing cold for the 10th night. Looking towards the horision you can see the lights of town. They couldnt afford enemy force or even blanks, and the only thing sentry is accomplishing is ensuring your running on 4 hours sleep.

Meanwhile Tom the teacher is home correcting exams watching CSI Miami having a beer. And Joe is at the bar with Sally the new accounting chick who works two cubicles down.

You forgot to add that John is on his second Hawaiian vacation and you are on your 4th month of pre-deployment training for your 3rd tour in Afghanistan........all after being away for 6 months in CFB XXXX on your 6A course........

dogger1936 said:

Ahhhhh ....reality check... :nod:

dogger1936 said:

Hahaha okay fair enough.  ::)  I know its not gonna be easy. But I don't care. Its what I want to do.

TheBeatles193 said:
Hahaha okay fair enough.  ::)  I know its not gonna be easy. But I don't care. Its what I want to do.

Its not a question of "easy" or "hard", just a remined that its not always fun and games and not an adrenaline rush 24/7.

Back