• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

I want to join the military because of the teamwork and camaraderie. I want to have co workers who are as close as family, and who take care of each other no matter what. I'm also looking forward to the nice benefits, including getting my education paid for, and hopefully getting any graduate studies subsidized down the road as well.

I was wondering what inspired everyone in the Canadian Forces to ever dream of such an occupation. Who influenced you? or what in the world touched your heart and made you want to become a hero of today's Country? Wether its from your father being in the army or a world issue that pissed you off to make you want to join. Lets hear your stories maybe it can relate and help influence some of these recruits to push stronger knowing there are people just like them in the forces. This is to basically help play the role of a role-model for all the newbies.

"There's no money in peace, but there's money in war"

A few reasons (among many) that I decided to join:

-A sense of working for something greater than myself -my country, our future

-To help people in a practical way and to help my fellow comrades (I will be a medtech)

-To learn awesome new skills

-The unknown aspect- where I'll go or what I'll do-travel opportunities and adventures

-To live in an environment where physical fitness is expected and highly stressed and where people are encouraged and held accountable for staying healthy and fit

-The sense of belonging and comradeship

-The knowledge that you are a part of a lasting legacy- the soldiers of today are connected in a strong and undeniable way to the ones who served and died for our country long ago- WWII, etc.

Talks of free ice cream....too bad you have to go to Kandahar :-[

But in all seriousness the reason I joined was to give back to a wonderful country that has given me so much :D

Hey, I'm new here and not part of the CF yet, but hopefully will be shortly. I'm just curious to know what made you want to join the army. The nobility of service? Philosophical reasons? You needed the job security? Army family? And for those who are in it now, do you think you had the right reasons for joining/has being a soldier altered your worldviews at all?

My story is that at about the halfway point in my last year of high school, I got accepted to university. I was happy, my parents where proud and quite frankly most people where shocked. I was a gifted kid who drastically underperformed in almost every academic category. I was lazy, depressed, nihilistic and pretty much just pissed off that "Life sucks and then you die". I coasted, by god did I coast. I wouldn't go to class, and I'd study just enough to pass the tests, counting on the exam to bring my marks up. I did this, and pretended I was happy with that, acted like a hotshot because I "cheated the system". That I didn't try at all and still got into university. School for me was pretty much a forum where I could find more parties, score more weed and play sports.

After school ended, this behavior continued, and one day I just decided that my life needed direction, that there was no way in hell I trusted myself enough to go to university and potentially waste my time and money because I knew I had to change the way I had been living for the last couple years of my life.

Philosophically, for me, the army made sense. I have a huge, huge respect for the men and women who put themselves in harms way and face danger for the sake of not only our country and way of life, but they also enforce the Canadian views of equality and human rights for anybody regardless of race, colour, creed or religious association. A good analogy for people in general is that there are 3 kinds of people: sheep, the general population who at mostly good hearted and unable to kill. Wolves, dangerous people who mean to do harm to others for their own personal gain. And then there are sheepdogs, people who risk their lives and use cunning and coordination to ethically defend the sheep from the wolves. Soldiers are not murderers, despite the fact that they do kill, they have RoE's that they abide by against a foe who's never even heard of the geneva convention. They see their friends killed by an invisible enemy, but their training and structure allows them to carry on protecting human rights when they have every reason pull a modern day My Lai. To me this is remarkable, and I want to be like that, I want it more badly than anything I've ever wanted.

So what's your reason(s) for joining/having joined?

haha, completely missed that (second time in like 3 post).

I thought it was odd that topic didn't exist.

Spent two weeks working for cash at slightly below minimum wage, refitting 125 apartments. After lugging more fridges than I care to count up more stairs then I care to count, decided the army was likely an easier job (ironically, we were refitting the apartments to be used as barracks for CFNES students)

Sam 45 said:
They see their friends killed by an invisible enemy, but their training and structure allows them to carry on protecting human rights when they have every reason pull a modern day My Lai.

What?  They have every reason to pull a modern day My Lai?  If you really think that, I am not sure you are ready to get in yet. 

I think you were trying to say something but said it the wrong way...or I am hoping you did.

Eye In The Sky said:
What?  They have every reason to pull a modern day My Lai?  If you really think that, I am not sure you are ready to get in yet. 

I think you were trying to say something but said it the wrong way...or I am hoping you did.
Sam 45
As one who served in country at the same time as My Lai, you have no idea of the sense of despair and disgust we felt that came out.....That kind of action is dishonorable in the extreme

Someone asked me whether I like the idea of being a part of the military, or whether I want to become a part of the military... I don't really understand what they were asking and until then I can't really answer that question for them.
- How did you know that it would be something you could handle?.. getting shot at, IEDs, seeing fellow soldiers or civilians wounded or killed.
- How did you know you wanted to devote years of your life to your country?
- What made you finally decide to enlist?
- How did you weigh the risks and the benefits of the job?
- Did your family support your decision?
- have you regretted your decision or happy you made the decision?
- any advice?

I've always found war history/movies very interesting.. . and up until about a year ago I didn't agree at all with what was happening in the middle east, but then I really started researching into it, watching every documentary I could find, reading every article.. Finding out that they're not only helping to free the country of the Taliban forces, but they are rebuilding cities, digging wells, providing electricity, providing farmers with tools to help their communities and families, training afghan forces, and providing medical aid. My respect for the brave men and women over there has grown profoundly.. don't get me wrong, I've ALWAYS supported the troops, but I didn't always support the reason for this war. No I find myself arguing with friends about the difference soldiers are making over there. I'm now 20 years old, and for months now I've been really considering joining the Canadian Forces.. I would love to be a medic.
I've always had an interest in medicine, I've done as much research as I can, watched countless documentaries/videos, and read everything I could about it. Anyways, I know for sure that I want a career in health care. I love hands on work, I need to work with people, I love to be busy and constantly on my feet.. I'm definitely not an office job person, I don't want to stare at a computer screen all day and I get bored of the same old thing very easily.. I think the Forces would be a great experience and a great challenge.. but I'm just wondering if someone could maybe share with me your experiences in the Forces if you're a medic, or have served alongside medics. My parents are scoffing at the idea, so I'm really just looking for someone impartial to give some insight.

I'm not sure yet if this is something I want to make a lifelong career out of, but I definitely want this experience.
I am a very proud Canadian and it would be an honour to serve my country and do whatever I can to help all soldiers return to their families.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

I've been asking myself this question for some time and really there are many reasons; I think it would be impossible for anyone to pick one specific point and say "that is the reason."

Like you, I enjoy war/military movies and television programs. For me it appeals to my senses of teamwork, loyalty, patriotism - the idea that there are larger issues in life and that the best and brightest have to rise to meet them. There are (minimum) two sides to every conflict and you know that not only are the other guys sending their strongest and toughest out to meet you but they are going to be carrying the craftiest tactics and deadliest weapons that their smartest minds can dream up.

It goes beyond combat as well. I admire the military structure (ideologically) - the idea that there is a strong and responsible chain of command, that if you work hard you can get recognized. The uniform, badges, medals - each in its way identifies a member who has proven themselves capable in their chosen field.

I know that no military force is perfect, but I hope to help make ours that much closer. I am an intelligent, strong member of society, and with that comes responsibility. I am choosing to not only protect but to strengthen this society.

- How did you know that it would be something you could handle?.. getting shot at, IEDs, seeing fellow soldiers or civilians wounded or killed.

I joined when I was 17 right out of High School. I was too immature to think of those things at the time to be honest.

- How did you know you wanted to devote years of your life to your country?
I felt growing up that I was the only one that truly loved my country and that maybe in the military there were others who might be like me. It turned out to be true. On my basic I got my first Tattoo on our first weekend leave. I thought I was so original getting a maple leaf on my chest. When I returned Sunday, at least 1/2 my course had the same original idea.

I was also an anomaly growing up. My best friends were computer geeks but I was a jock so I was constantly protecting one set of friends from another. I've always loved protecting other who were weaker than me and so the military (and those type of trades) seemed like a great opportunity. I still, after 17 years feel this way, especially now that I have a family of my own to protect and care for.

- What made you finally decide to enlist?
In the early 90's there was a recession and pro-anything-but-white-male movement happening. I went to a job fair and I was interested in becoming a firefighter. I went to the table and he told me "Sorry kid, you're a white male." I laughed and asked him if he was allowed to tell me that and he just frowned and said "Sorry but its the truth right now."

So I looked to the left table where the Calgary City police table was and he said "Sorry same here."  Then the guy from the right table laughed and said "We'll take ya." and that was the military.

- How did you weigh the risks and the benefits of the job?
I didn't. I just wanted to be a part of something bigger than me.

- Did your family support your decision?
Yes and no. My mother <To this day> is dead against it. My father supported it but wanted me to go Air Force.

- have you regretted your decision or happy you made the decision?
I am 100% happy of the decision I made that day. I have seen many things that I wish no one would have to see but I have fulfilled my desire to be a part of a greater good something bigger, something that makes a difference.

- any advice?
Give it a try, we are a family like no other.

My parents knew "I" wanted to join the military.  When I quit school it was get a job or go back to school.  Military was th best option.

Task said:
I joined when I was 17 right out of High School. I was too immature to think of those things at the time to be honest.

SAME  ;D

That was 17 years ago. 

Ha, I'm 25 and trying to get in. Late bloomer I guess ;)

I think the CF is the most challenging job a person can hope for. Mental and physical challenges each day and the feeling of going home knowing that because of what you do, normal people can sleep more soundly at night, is phenomenal. I have a plethora of other reasons as well, but that's a taste of it. I'm sure it's the same for others as well.

Well the day I was born I had combat boots on,  let me tell you my Mom was not pleased. Ouch!  :'(

Gunplumber said:
Well the day I was born I had combat boots on,  let me tell you my Mom was not pleased. Ouch!  :'(

Those pebbled ankle boots and puttees must have been painful.    >:D

Back