• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

I originally joined to serve as a peacekeeper, but as I meet more and more fellow soldiers, I stayed for the challenge and the numerous friendships made over a great deal of time.  I have never regretted my career in the forces and my daughter has since joined as a reservist.  I have since retired from the Reg Force and have transferred over to the Reserves.  I believe that I still have a lot to offer and will continue to serve as long as I can and as long as I still enjoy the profession of arms.

I have several reasons for applying.

1) My grandfather and great-grandfather both served, I look up to them and their accomplisments, my grandfather was a tank gunner (dont know the actually trade name) and was part of the tank waves at normandy, as well he volunteered for cleanup duty after the war and assited in cleaning up the gascamps. My Father raised me in a very military-esque household.

2) It has been a dream of mine since i was 14. I have always had roadblocks along the way and I now finally have the ability to go to BMQ.

3) I now have a wife and 2 young children. Where I live the cost of living is through the roof, and I personally wont be able to get where i want to be in the next 5 or 10 years to support them properly. The CF can give me the opportunity to do that, as well as to be a better man in the long run.

4) I appreciate what our troops have done for us, in all operations around the world, and i support them wholeheartedly. I want to help protect the way of life i grew up with so my children will be able to experience it as well.

there are other reasons but they fall under the previous reasons i have listed.  Such as wanting a challenging job that will push me to the limits each day and not let me fall into a decrepit rut.

My Uncle is a supply tech. Was deployed on the Ottawa when it made it's trip to the Persian Gulf back in '06 (or was it '05?). Looks like he will be deployed to Afghanistan in either army or air force uniform in spring of 2008. Grandfather was a flight engineer back in WW2, whole family on Dad's side (including uncle and grandfather were in air cadets.

I want to be an architect someday, and was skimping through all the different possible civilian trades I could choose, but couldn't choose one as I didn't have experience in any of them. I didn't want to educate myself for 5 years, to work another 5-10 before going back to school to become an architect if I didn't like the trade. At the same time I've always been playing with the idea of joining the military due to family ties and interest perked by cadets. However, I never thought a military career followed by architecture would be a good lead-in, so I've always considered it one or the other.

Anyways, I was busy telling General Hillier this tale at the Boomer's legacy dinner (well, the bit about not knowing which trade to get into), and he told me to hurry up and make up my mind before I was too old to do any of it. So I made up my mind that evening, and have been trying to push my way through to the military career ever since... Though I am met by sever resistance by my mother, and due to some real shitty timing on my part my paperwork must be in the day BEFORE my 18th birthday, or I have to start all over again.

Now, many may say one night really isn't enough time to make this sorta decision. It is for me. I take my time figuring out everything I need to know about the decision beforehand, but once I know all that I need/want to know, the decision-making process doesn't take more than 4 or 5 minutes. I'm really good at thinking on my feet and solving things quickly once I have all the information, and making decisions on the fly has never failed me yet, sitting and taking my time to choose something, then being half-assed about doing it has however. If I can't make up my mind in thirty seconds, it probrably isn't worth it, and I'll drag my ass about it. I hope it's this snap desicion and resultant hard-lined commitment that proves to be a good quality in the military.

As for my trade of choice, Armoured. I would prefer tanks, but Recce sounds pretty cool too. It was since I met Gerry Olson that I've been interested in tanks, and even more-so now that they've actually been deployed for use; I would so love to be in Afghanistan before pullout... Although due to indecision on my part earlier, when worried about a future in architecture, I may not now get that chance.

Oh, as for getting into architecture after the military, I'd like to save up enough dough to pay for at least half my University degree (I hope to enlist with a local reserve unit to help cover costs as well). Also, many current architects have labeled m choice of entry into the field as "An excellent make-work project." Made me chuckle at the thought of driving a tank through some old shell of a building in downtown Vancouver so something new I design could be out up. I also think being in the military will teach me to better deal with stress and "under fire" situations, which I know local architects face all the time. Another factor determining how long I will be in the military is how much I enjoy it, and how many good stories I'll have to tell the grandkids someday if I ever live that long. :p Finally, if all else fails, I can always re-join after my bachelors degree, do another 5+ years, then finish off my last two years of post secondary and get my masters... plus hopefully a nice down payment for a house.

Anyways, there is the book, and then some... :)

1) Because I've spent my whole life living in the safety and comfort of the best damn country in the world and its time that I helped step up and earn that privilege.
2) Because it beats the heck out of working at a boring warehouse every day.
3) I've always been interested in the military, and cadets got me hooked even more (I knew for sure that I wanted to go army after the 1st time I held a C9  ;D)
4) I want to actually do something with my life that I can look back on and be proud of when I'm old...and serving Canada in the armed forces would be one of the highest callings any Canadian could hope to achieve.

...................OK and maybe the free green underwear is a big bonus too ::)

JAWS228 said:
1) Because I've spent my whole life living in the safety and comfort of the best damn country in the world and its time that I helped step up and earn that privilege.
2) Because it beats the heck out of working at a boring warehouse every day.
3) I've always been interested in the military, and cadets got me hooked even more (I knew for sure that I wanted to go army after the 1st time I held a C9  ;D)
4) I want to actually do something with my life that I can look back on and be proud of when I'm old...and serving Canada in the armed forces would be one of the highest callings any Canadian could hope to achieve.

Ditto, except I haven't been to the cadets.

I've always loved the army, and the technology, teamwork, honor, hard work, etc. that goes with it. Like many others have said too, it's a job that many people look up to, and even you(..I) would be able to look back and know it was worth it. Not to mention Canada really is a great country despite the fact that we do have problems, like everyone else, and that serving it is the least we can do.... The only real thing I dislike is our national anthem, although it isn't that bad, I wish it could be more patriotic, so we that our patriotism would be shown more clearly when our anthem was played. Meh.

-My mother was a nurse back in England, she always taught and talked about interesting medical stuff.
-(with out getting specific)..one of my close friends drowned when I was 14 and it never sat well with me that nobody there knew CPR or how to save her.  That's when I first thought about EMS
-I got accepted to the Civi. EMS program but realized that I would have more or an experience in the CF.  Not to mention the privilege and honor of serving in such a prestigious military.
-I learn better in a stimulated, highly structured environment, and that's exactly what the CF offers.

Its perfect!

Cheers, Kyle

my grandfather wanted me to on his deathbed

he served in 1RCR in korea as a medic

i just figured its in my familys blood to be in the forces

I joined for a career. Work isn't very abundant on the east coast of Newfoundland. So far, I'm waiting in Gagetown for my armoured course, but everything's going great. No regrets at all.

I was always a history buff when it came to the military, I had no family ties to it and I was always interested in it since I was a little munchkin.  I applied 6 years ago but was merit listed plus things in my life were changing fast(two children within a year)
After the last 3 years of countless jobs and trying to get into school(money issues not letting me do this) I decided it was time to apply again. I applied last week and would be proud to serve my country that we all love.

Hey everyone, brand new to the forums so its only fitting that I share with everyone.

I have always wanted to join the Armed Forces, since junior high..I'm 20 goin on 21 next March with plans to join Infantry. I wasnt born here and neither were my parents. Political turmoil back in my parents day forced them to leave my birth country and settle down here (Alberta).Not only that, but I dont really see myself doing anything else...office work and warehouse work doesnt really sound appealing to me. So to me, serving in the Forces is something that I know will be good for me in the long run. No matter how I look at it.
I'm starting a workout regime to get in shape for my initial fitness test and BMQ, and I'm also using study guides to "prepare" for the CFAT if you will.
So wish me luck everone!

It's hard to pin point the exact reason for wating to join....

I think part of my reason for wanting to join (I'm in the process of joining the reserves) is that I was exposed to it at a young age. My father was a Colonel and Commander for the PEI Regiment many moons ago, my uncle is a retired Officer with the Air Force and my husband is in the CF as a Reservist as well. (He finished a tour in Feb.)

There's something about the uniform that attracts me, what it represents. I want an employer that values it's employees and their families. I want to be of service to people in need, and the military offers that opportunity depending on the field you're in. There's also the aspect of a "brotherhood" or "comradery".

I am also tired of not having any opportunity for promotions, being stuck in a dead end job etc.... I love challenges and change. I can't find that anywhere else. It seems to set you apart.

slowmode said:
Canada has been my home since I was born. I was born here and my parents came here to live a better life. They were previously living in Lebanon, they fled from the civil war there. Canada gave my parents a wonderful country too live in. I was raised here and got a better education that I could have got anywhere else. The main reasons why I joined the Canadian Armed Forces are:

1. I'm Arab , I want to show other people that just because I look different from the outside does not mean I dont have the same values. If you cut me open you'll find the Red blood of any Canadian. I want to serve this country, this country that gave me education, a great living, and a great life. I am 100% Canadian no matter how I look and I want people to know that.

2. I wanted an Adventure in life, I did not want a desk job or any normal job. I wanted something that would get me off my feet and do something exciting.

3. The last reason is because of all the Great people in the CF. The CF makes you feel like one big group.  :cdn:

I am absolutely ecstatic that I found another Lebanese/Arabic person interested in joining the Canadian Forces. None of my friend's nor family understand why I want to join. But to know that there are others like me out there that want to join in order to give back to a country that gave us so much is great!

Thank You!

Northern Ranger said:
1. To get out of the house
2.  Find a purpose in life
3.  Travel
4.  Make money
5.  Pick up girls.

Its all happened for me after 20+years, and now looking forward to civy street for the following reasons

1. Want to stay in the house
2.  Found my purpose and its my family
3.  Stop traveling
4.  Collect my pension
5.  Stop picking up girls  ;D

A very funny post, made me laugh!

I recently spoke with a guy I knew pretty well in High School and as we were exchanging the customary 'what's new with you' questions he tells me he's just finished his BMQ and is now getting trained for his trade in the Navy. This shocks the hell out of me because this guy was always one bullet short of a full clip, so I ask him why? He tells me all the great benifits and the fellowship and most of all how rewarding it feels. Then he asks, "How's your job? Do you find it rewarding?" and it hit me... no... I don't. So he threw the recruiting link at me and I've been looking more and more into it. I regret not looking into it right out of high school as now I've got the wife/kid/mortgage triangle of responsibility and I don't think I could take the pay cut to go full time, but the reserves are looking more appealing every day. Even if it's only part-time it would be nice to be challanged and to feel that sense of fellowship my buddy was talking about.

oh.... it' be cool to shoot things too ;)
:threat:

OkotoksRookie said:
I recently spoke with a guy I knew pretty well in High School and as we were exchanging the customary 'what's new with you' questions he tells me he's just finished his BMQ and is now getting trained for his trade in the Navy. This shocks the hell out of me because this guy was always one bullet short of a full clip, so I ask him why? He tells me all the great benifits and the fellowship and most of all how rewarding it feels. Then he asks, "How's your job? Do you find it rewarding?" and it hit me... no... I don't. So he threw the recruiting link at me and I've been looking more and more into it. I regret not looking into it right out of high school as now I've got the wife/kid/mortgage triangle of responsibility and I don't think I could take the pay cut to go full time, but the reserves are looking more appealing every day. Even if it's only part-time it would be nice to be challanged and to feel that sense of fellowship my buddy was talking about.

oh.... it' be cool to shoot things too ;)
:threat:

Not if the "things" shoot back. :warstory:

The reasons I want to join.

1. To defend the Constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms of Canada that mean a lot more to me then you can imagine.

2. To give back to a country that has given me and my family so much.

3. Since I was a child, I've always wanted to join the Army.

I want to join because its something that I've always wanted, but not had the support to do.  I've finally, after 5 years, gotten my life on track and now as a mom of 2 I need to give my son's something to be proud of. I refuse to be that welfare mom that everyone thinks I'll end up being. Unskilled, except for bartending, I'm past the days of just going with the flow of everyone around me. Its time to go out into the world and begin a new life. one where I can actually be helpful.  That, and my daddy was in the army  :D  he loved every minute of it and now as he's getting up there in age, 66 this year, he's so proud that at least one of his kids is joining.

Dolphado said:
I want to join because its something that I've always wanted, but not had the support to do.  I've finally, after 5 years, gotten my life on track and now as a mom of 2 I need to give my son's something to be proud of. I refuse to be that welfare mom that everyone thinks I'll end up being. Unskilled, except for bartending, I'm past the days of just going with the flow of everyone around me. Its time to go out into the world and begin a new life. one where I can actually be helpful.  That, and my daddy was in the army  :D  he loved every minute of it and now as he's getting up there in age, 66 this year, he's so proud that at least one of his kids is joining.

Congrats and best of luck, I am sure you will do great.

Back