• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

CDN Aviator said:
Its not a question of "easy" or "hard", just a remined that its not always fun and games and not an adrenaline rush 24/7.

The past is better remembered than lived

:Jacky Gleason

CDN Aviator said:
Its not a question of "easy" or "hard", just a remined that its not always fun and games and not an adrenaline rush 24/7.

I understand that. But some of it will be fun, even if its just some of the time. 

Good attitude, now keep that up for the next few years and you will go far. Yeah it will get hard, you wont sleep for a week, you'll be cold and you'll be pissed. Be one of those guys thats fueled by that crap, those are the guys I want to be around and trust me they are few and far between. I love my job, doing the crappy stuff is what makes it worth it. You knowing that you can laugh off crap that would crush most people is awesome.

Arsenal said:
Good attitude, now keep that up for the next few years and you will go far. Yeah it will get hard, you wont sleep for a week, you'll be cold and you'll be pissed. Be one of those guys thats fueled by that crap, those are the guys I want to be around and trust me they are few and far between. I love my job, doing the crappy stuff is what makes it worth it. You knowing that you can laugh off crap that would crush most people is awesome.

I will, thanks. Thats good advice.

CDN Aviator said:
You forgot to add that John is on his second Hawaiian vacation and you are on your 4th month of pre-deployment training for your 3rd tour in Afghanistan........all after being away for 6 months in CFB XXXX on your 6A course........

Or, you joined the Navy and are thinking to yourself, "Oh crap!  Hawaii/Caribbean again!?"  ;D

On the other hand 30 days of getting the crap kicked out of you in the North Sea in winter ain't all it's cracked up to be either!

PS:  teachers are grossly underpaid.

My purpose in life to protect the innocent, joining the army mean I would not be doing it alone.

I'm currently in the process of joining my city's army reserve as infantry, and I want to quickly tell a little bit about myself, and then I'll tell you my reasons for joining. Sorry, I'm new to the site, and I figured a bit of an introduction was somehow suiting.

I began looking in to the military about 5 months ago, and initially wanted to join (after high school, since I'm currently in grade 12) as a pilot, and go to RMC and all that good stuff. I got directed towards the reserves to sort of 'experience the military' before I made a decision on my future career. It was absolutely life changing.

My perspective on and appreciation for the military has completely changed in the last few months, and I have decided to join as infantry, and this is why:

-First off, I primarily want something different than ordinary (civilian) life, something that none of my friends are doing. I want a job that's exciting, and will teach me new skills and will hopefully direct me to the Canadian Forces as a life long career

-I really want the values and attitudes the Canadian Forces teaches. Contrary to popular belief I am already an organized, responsible teenager (currently holding two jobs, and helping out around the house, and own my own car). However, I have a lot of growing to do still, and I feel the CF will guide me in the direction I want. It's going to teach me the leadership skills I desire, and how to be a team worker, and also, how to be a good brother to others, and a good friend. The CF, I believe, will teach me how to be a functioning person; how to be more organized and ready, how to stay in shape and also be mentally prepared, how to live well, and how to simply enjoy the time I've got and loosen up (crack a few jokes, etc.)

-Another huge reason I want to join the CF (and I hopefully have the chance to mention this to recruiters) is to pay my dues, in a sense. I've always seen the military as an honourable career (though I've only taken serious interest in the last few months). My biggest personal motivation for joining is that a reservist from my city, who, in fact, went to my high school, died in Afghanistan in 2007, and I've read a few things about him, and about other soldiers who have died, and I feel I owe it to those people who have served Canada before me to follow in their foot steps, as it were, and give back to my country.

-To continue on from the last reason, I owe it to Canada. One of my part time jobs is at a pizza place, and many of the employees moved from Mexico or Costa Rica in recent years, and their reasons for coming to Canada have opened my eyes to the opportunities this country has given me, and the freedom it provides. Though, in my family life, I don't have a chance to realize how fortunate I am, real life experiences (along with the military) have opened my eyes to show me how much I owe this beautiful country called Canada. I feel I owe it to my country to serve it, because it has given me the security and freedom I've had in my whole life. The least I can do is respect this country, and join it as we try to make the world a better place through peacekeeping, peacemaking, and fighting for what we believe in.

These are my final, thought out reasons for joining, and I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from.

On a more comical note, I would be lying if I said I wasn't partly interested in joining to blow things up and shoot things. I'm a 17 year old boy, and I DO play the odd videogame when I can. And the little dream in the back of my head of actually living on a day to day basis, the things that happen in games like Call of Duty and Battlefield is a little treat that I can look forward to. I'm pretty sure everyone joins the military for that dream of adventure, no matter if they know at what cost it could potentially come at.

I hope this helps others like myself look within themselves when joining, and see if they are in it for the right reasons, and what they believe is right to them. I'm definitely not joining for money, or "job security," but I am joining for the reasons that I believe reflect who I am and what I want to become.

Especially for the younger potential recruits, I hope I've sort of motivated you to really understand what you're stepping in to when you join, and to figure out what you're joining for. I believe the Canadian Forces offers everyone an amazing opportunity in their lives to serve their country and have an adventure and live life. And, just like many other things in life, I believe that what you get out of your experience in the military, in every aspect, will be equal to whatever you put in to it.

So, for potential recruits like myself, going through the application process, or even deciding if this is the right direction for them, keep chugging through and staying motivated. I lost motivation for joining for a couple of weeks, and I felt very depressed, but I have picked it all back up, and feel stronger mentally and physically than ever!

My best advice to those joining, however old or young you are, is to keep a level head and stay motivated. You really need to find what motivates you to join the Canadian Armed Forces, and once you figure out that reason, or reasons, keep it with you forever, and you WILL make it!

Thanks for listening, and I'm excited to see what other things people say motivates (or motivated) them to join the Canadian Forces!

Reasons? I got plenty (attempting to join as a Infantry Officer):

Idealist reasons -
I love my country. It has given me the opportunity to do what I love, the freedom to pursue my dreams, and the ability to grow as an individual. I am quite proud to call myself Canadian, and want to do anything I can for it.
The military is one of the few organizations that offers opportunities for youth - and the only limitations are personal merit and individual drive.
As a student of history, I am fully aware of how many Canadians died (and continue to die/risk life and limb) to ensure I had the aforementioned advantages. I can serve my country, there are many people who can't (or shouldn't) in this capacity.
I want to be part of something bigger then myself, and something I wholeheartedly support. Until the world finds a way to make everyone pacifists however, we will continue to need a military presence at home and in the world. a company for profit just doesn't inspire me the same way.

Pragmatic reasons:
who doesn't like a stable job? A stable job where you get vacation time, benefits, and a reasonable chance for promotion - everyone likes those things!
I get paid to stay in the best possible shape I can. I do that for free anyway!
I (possibly) will have the opportunity to pursue a masters degree in History, and be paid while doing it.
Pension. Who doesn't like a pension?
I've always thought I had three career paths - Teacher, Politician, or Military. Since Teacher's positions are few and far between (and pay horribly), and people tend to prefer Politicians with some life experience - the Military was the best option. I've always wanted to do something in public service, as it is what makes me feel fulfilled professionally.
I can support my fiance's more expensive schooling. She wants to become an ASL interpreter, and I really want her to have the opportunity. Plus, she will likely have some work regardless of where we are posted (within reason, of course - though I'm sure she will try to teach polar bears while I am up in Alert....)
I have some student debt I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

There are quite a few more, but that works in a pinch.

Because I live in the best damn country on the planet, and anything I can do to bring others a little closer to the life we have in Canada is a job worth doing.

I really think this topic should be revived. I have read all 12 pages and very much enjoyed the peeks into the thought processes of so many of our fine military personnel.

I do believe it's missing something, however.  All of these posts, though spanning all three elements, seem to be focused on people in or looking to join mostly combat trades.

The guy who thinks warehouse work is boring....they have that in the CF. The guy who doesn't want to be at a desk all day in front of a computer screen....where would you be without RMS  clerks?

Personally speaking, it never really occurred to me to think of the CF as anything other than combat "stuff" until recently. My other half's sister was retiring as a Major....from RMS. I was hooked. I researched, asked questions, did all the tests. And I got in. And I failed the fit test. Just one part. By 2 seconds. Over and over. I went to TRP. I did the workouts. Then I got pneumonia and a sinus infection at the same time. My retest was coming up and I knew I was not ready. I vr'd. 

Now, I have spent the past year upgrading my education and experience in my field as well as going to the gym an awful lot. I can reapply in October and you can bet your free green undies I won't fail this time.

Cat

deskjockey43 said:
All of these posts, though spanning all three elements, seem to be focused on people in or looking to join mostly combat trades.

I joined the Service Corps ( Logistics ) Reserve.  :)

deskjockey43 said:
I can reapply in October and you can bet your free green undies I won't fail this time.

Good luck on your future application!  :)

To avoid confusion, you may wish to update your Signature,

Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade choice 1: RMS clerk
Applied: Oct 2014
CFAT: Passed Nov 2014
Medical: March 2015
Interview: Feb 2015
Merit Listed: June 8, 2015
Position offered:June 29, 2015 RMS clerk - Navy
Swearing in:July 29, 2015
BMQ: Aug 3, 2015

You had a bad break. We all need a fresh start every once in a while.  :)

Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment.
I need to get back in. I KNOW I can do it and failure is not an option.

Interesting question and simple answer.  The rail car plant was in a down turn down home, so I joined for 3 years of infantry to eat.  The plan was to get on with the plant after a glorious year of partying on my Army UI.  The plant never came back fully.  34 years later......

Down homer, army cadets, army reserve. Joined RCAF. First trade was a bad match. Remustered to Avionics tech.
Much better match. 27 years later became a military man in disguise as  a civy.  ;)

Why did I join? See above by Lightguns.

Grew up in Trenton.  Most of my friends parents were Air Force.  I've wanted to serve in the military since I was a kid.  Went to university with the plan of going DEO afterwards.  However, in university, I met my now ex-wife.  She had no desire to be married to a military man, so I went the civilian route.  Then my dad got really sick and I took some time to help my mom look after him.

I am now divorced and my father passed away a few years ago.  I'm not getting any younger--I am 34; so I figured the sooner the better.  I'm waiting to be merit listed, and then on my way (I hope).

Good luck :)

As an Air Cadet and Army reservist in my teens I've always been at least accommodating to the idea of military service, but I've never considered it much of a calling. In the intervening decades I never really gave the opportunity much thought.  But after having lived overseas for most of that time I have grown to love my country and her countrymen and women more and more, and feel that I have a much more objective perspective on how and why than most.  I feel very lucky to have been born in Canada. My expat life cannot and will not continue forever both for financial and patriotic reasons, but as a consequence of this life my employment prospects are presently not enviable to re-establish my family in Canada. I am a very late bloomer when it comes to heeding a career-calling, and I'm hoping that one of the trades I am now studying for will be with the Canadian Forces both as an opportunity to give something back to my home country and as something that I can benefit from as I will hopefully one day approach my retirement from the CF. I want to be a Medical or Pharmacy Officer, fwiw.

Back