• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Did/Are You Joining the Armed Forces??

Although conscription has basically been abolished since the vietnam war [I could be wrong ladies & gents, so please correct me if so], any major conflict like Sythen just said, could easily be the spark to an ongoing war that involves more military personnell then the last two gulf war's combined. In that circumstance, I would say conscription would begin to take its effect on the Canadian population.

Good point Sythen, I never really though about that until you mentioned it.

Brett said:
Although conscription has basically been abolished since the Vietnam war [I could be wrong ladies & gents, so please correct me if so],

Canada has not used conscription since World War II (as far as I understood reading J.L. Granatstein's book "Who Killed the Canadian Military"), and even that can be disputed to a point on technicalities, since the conscription was originally only for a homeland defence type force, but they were eventually sent overseas.

Am I correct that more medical personnell and supplies is needed in Afghanistan? If so, do you suppose the government might, even in the slightest, force medical teams & supplies over there?

If you are Pres, you will never be forced to go on tour.

If it is Reg, the rules, that im not very aware are different.

Anyone else wanting to say why they joined, or why they want to join, the armed forces?

Hey guys, I hadn't checked in on this thread in a while, but I've thought of a few more reasons on top of the one I gave to start the thread.

I am the oldest of my generation in my family by 13 years. My little brother and his wife are about to have their first child, so I've realized that my joining means they may never have to, and that's good enough for me.

Besides, who else do you know that gets to PUT FOOT TO ASS for their paycheck.

I'd have to say that I want to join the CF to become part of something awesome, that I can be overly proud of, to get the discipline that I need, to help people that cant help themselves, for family, friends and country, a good job in lots of places, my uncle was in the air force for 40 years (I think it was 40 years, close to it) and i always liked the stories he told about the places he went. Oh, and the comraderie that goes along with being in the CF.

I also think these following quotes helped me make up my decision to join, I think the 2nd quote is my favourite.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--

Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.
--Ronald Reagan--

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
--George Orwell--

I like that quote from George Orwell, adaminc, but what was his occupation on the detail?

I have to write a litle bibliography for a cpl and hand it in on tuesday. It's basically about this topic here on arm... err, milnet.ca - "why did you join the forces, and more specific, why did you join the riley's?" - that sort of thing. I'd like to use that quote on my paper by George Orwell, but I'd like to know his occupation so  I could add that in, too.

to close with and destroy the enemy....or that's what I thought when i was 17. Now that I'm trying to wiggle my way back in for a second stint it's more for duty, honour, country. That kind of thing.

He was an Author/Journalist, he wrote the popular novel 1984, thats all I really know about him.

Also, George Orwell was his pseudonym, his real name was Eric Blair, and he died in 1950.

George Orwell :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Orwell

but the page has been hugely modified these lasts months, so I wouldn't bet on the accuracy...

I'll settle with my phenomenal skill of renting out centuries-old books from the local library, LOL.

besides, I think it would be hard to modify written text.

AMcLeod said:
Also the free green underware and icecream sound like a sweet deal too

Sorry, I know this is an old one... but this part reminds me of that one scene in "Forrest Gump" where after he gets wounded in Vietnam, and he is in the hospital, he brings not only one for himself... but an ice cream for "Lieutenant Dan" also. Always one of my favourite movies  :)

~Rebecca

Canada has been my home since I was born. I was born here and my parents came here to live a better life. They were previously living in Lebanon, they fled from the civil war there. Canada gave my parents a wonderfull country too live in. I was raised here and got a better education that I could have got anywhere else. THe main reasons why I joined the Canadian Armed Forces are:

1. I'm Arab , I want to show other people that just because I look different from the outside does not mean I dont have the same values. If you cut me open youll find the Red blood of any canadian. I want to serve this country, this country that gave me education, a great living, and a great life. I am 100% Canadian no matter how I look and I want people to know that.

2. I wanted an Adventure in life, I did not want a desk job or any normal job. I wanted somthing that would get me off my feet and do somthing exciting.

3. The last reason is because of all the Great people in the CF. THe CF makes you feel like one big group.  :cdn:

I currently live in a small town outside of Winnipeg called Stonewall. I bartend part-time at our Royal Canadian Legion Branch #52. I've been working here on a casual basis for about 2 years now. Other than wanting to serve my country. The Legion seemed to have a massive influence on my decision to join the CF. During the weeknights the place is pretty slow, so I have had plenty of opurtunity to read up on 1000's of stories from both world wars. I've heard, "slightly intoxicated," Vets talk about there experiences overseas. In WWII and Korea. It's been an absolutly amazing experience, listening to these men tell there story of duty, and honor. It was there stories, the books, and probably all the pictures on the walls of the Legion that showed me.--- There is nothing more rewarding, than a career in the CF. I can't wait to serve.

To give to my country instead of only taking as so many do.

To bestow values upon my children that come from being in an AF life surrounding (discipline, respect, trust,responsibility and accountability all while living and having fun)

To provide a stable future for my family

To do something I can be proud of.

:cdn:

• To do something with purpose
  • To be a part of something more than individual/li]
    • To facilitate remaining active
    • To further peace in the world by doing something tangible

Just a few of the many....

1. My old man gave me two months to get a job, or he would boot me out of the house at eighteen.

2. The recruiting poster looked pretty good.

3. I was running out of time when I walked into the recruiting centre.

I later thanked the old man for possibly saving me from a life of crime. I was taught how to respect and be respected, taught about the value of things and the meaning and importance of camaraderie and esprit de corps. No regrets...ever.

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

Back