• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who'll be the next CDS? Speculation here, please!!

Haggis said:
Upon re-reading this thread closely, I see:

Which is quite different from the original:

Fife is speculating about what Hillier is thinking.  Sure he may step down.  He may not.  In either case, next February Fife can honestly say Hillier or Harper must've had a change of heart.

Nice spin.

Last night Fife is saying that it now might happen in June, so he's trying to say it will happen and that when it does, which it will eventually,Fife was correct all along.

HFXCrow said:
Nothing...adapt to change and continue mission! The Canadian way

I really take offense to this post from NCdt Lumber. Not trying to incite anything but its totally crap! I am a professional and a loyal Canadian and if this kind of post is on here . Please delete my account.

This is insult to all members of the CF and this website.

i think you're making quite a mountain out of a molehill. I believe NCdt Lumber said nothing disgraceful but merely posted that a decision to remove Hillier for political reasons might not be popular with the members of the Forces. I don't think either himself or the unnamed NCM advocate an open revolt against the government of Canada regardless of whatever words might have been used.

But by all means delete your account if you're that offended by someones post. ::)

HFXCrow said:
Nothing...adapt to change and continue mission! The Canadian way

I really take offense to this post from NCdt Lumber. Not trying to incite anything but its totally crap! I am a professional and a loyal Canadian and if this kind of post is on here . Please delete my account.

This is insult to all members of the CF and this website.

Yeah he said nothing of the sort... I am a CF member and I if given a chance would be very vocal about losing Gen Hillier as our CDS if given a  chance to voice my opinion. Which is exactualy what the NCdt was trying to say. The general rank anf file of the CF would be displeased with a political decision to remove the CDS before his tenure was up or "he" decided to step down.

I'm not insulted in the slightest by the NCdt post not as a CF member and not as a member of this site, so really you're just speaking for yourself, I am fully able to speak for me thank you.

2CDO:
maybe I construed this post the wrong way. I have been known to overreact on occasion.

The decision may not be popular to remove the CDS ( I like the guy) but words like "coup" and revolt in the context of change in the CF and the post may have set me off.

Maybe I need a nap!

HFXCrow said:
2CDO:
maybe I construed this post the wrong way. I have been known to overreact on occasion.

The decision may not be popular to remove the CDS ( I like the guy) but words like "coup" and revolt in the context of change in the CF and the post may have set me off.

Maybe I need a nap!

I too used to over-react but now that I am so close to retirement it takes too much effort!  :) As for a nap, it's always a good time for a nap! :boring:

HFXCrow said:
2CDO:

Maybe I need a nap!

So,

Is it safe to say don't have to remove the post or you account from the site?

dileas

tess

Thank you to those of you who defended my earlier statement, I'll try and clarify it a little to avoid later misinterpretation.

Neither I nor the aforementioned former NCM would ever dream of wanting something as politically and nationally destructive as a coup d'etat to occur. As I said that was on the extreme end of the spectrum of possible reactions.

All I meant to say is that, clearly, their would be many who would be thrown into extreme discontent over what they would view as politicians interfering with military affairs. I suggested the example of Hillier being 'voluntold' to resign because it was in the best interest of the politicians, not of the country or the military. You can come up with your own theories as to why this would be, but that's for another thread.

I'm sure everyone in the CF, except those who don't like Hillier, if such members exist, would be distraught by such a resignation. Those sentiments could range from simple disdain for the government to an outcry of hate and anger towards our political masters. Again, I present these as the extremes of a spectrum of possibilities.

All I wished to know is what forum readers think, think i said, with their educated subjective or objective opinions, would be the reaction of CF members.

Personally I believe it would depend on the level of controversy of his 'retirement'. If he stepped down voluntarily but there were rumours that he was urged to do so, I believe that we would all, as one person suggested, continue on with our duties. However, if Hillier went out and it was made publicly clear that they cut him down at the heels for purely political reasons, than there may be a more vocal reaction by the CF.

That's my 2 cents, hopefully more clear than before. How about yours?

If the CDS came forward and stated he was cut down for political reasons I think there would be some bad blood between the CF and the PC party.  Is it because he called the former MOD out? or is it because he is seen as a rock star when a lap dog would be better?  Don't know but as for open revolution or a coup.  I can't see that happening.  I mean even if we wanted to there were only two people working in supply out here so by the time we were able to draw our gear and get our vehicles going this minority government may have already fallen.  ;D

Wizard of OZ said:
If the CDS came forward and stated he was cut down for political reasons I think ...

that even should that be the case, he's much more professional than that.

Gawd the speculating ... it's killing me.

ArmyVern said:
that even should that be the case, he's much more professional than that.

Gawd the speculating ... it's killing me.
Well, to me at least, this is more interesting than celebrity gossip ;D

HighlandFusilier said:
Well, to me at least, this is more interesting than celebrity gossip ;D

Apparently you haven't read that Paris Hilton thread lately I'll assume??  :)

Methinks the reason for Hillier's "termination," if you will, is so that he can't complain when the government decides to neglect the armed forces again. A nice, quiet CDS that doesn't make a fuss when the equipment is inadequate or doesn't arrive would be much better for the politicians. That way the Tories can say "Look, we're supporting the military!" without any comments to the contrary from the CDS, who KNOWS what his men and women need.

fullmetalparka said:
Methinks the reason for Hillier's "termination," if you will, is so that he can't complain when the government decides to neglect the armed forces again. A nice, quiet CDS that doesn't make a fuss when the equipment is inadequate or doesn't arrive would be much better for the politicians. That way the Tories can say "Look, we're supporting the military!" without any comments to the contrary from the CDS, who KNOWS what his men and women need.

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071002/hillier_ottawa_071003/20071003?hub=TopStories

Regards

Recce By Death said:
You obviously haven't been paying attention.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071002/hillier_ottawa_071003/20071003?hub=TopStories

Regards

Obviously I haven't...  :blotto:

Casing said:
I don't think it's been posted, so...

The Globe and Mail (the poll itself is on the main page, halfway down on the right) has a poll asking if you think Gen Hillier is doing a good job.

Now, the results are favouring the 'no' side.  That in itself doesn't surprise me.  However, the ratio of 'no' to 'yes' does surprise me and IMHO gives a pretty good indication of just how misguided the general public is when it comes to CF affairs. At the time I'm writing this there have been almost 17,000 votes with 77% voting no.  Uh huh.

Consider who reads the Globe and Mail...mostly people who live in Toronto....these are folks who vote for Jack Layton....do the math.  ;D

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Consider who reads the Globe and Mail...mostly people who live in Toronto....these are folks who vote for Jack Layton....do the math.  ;D

And thats exactly why I don't read the "Mop and Pail."  Unless Christie Blatchford has a good article in it. 

IN HOC SIGNO said:

I count three NDP in The GTA.  Now if you were arguing that the GTA was mostly Liberal , as Harper is well aware, then you would have a solid base for argument.   >:D

And by the way the G&M is one of the finest, well written and thoughtful papers in Canada.   :D

Edit:
Forgot my reference:
http://www.elections.ca/pas/39ge/39official.pdf

Casing said:
Now, the results are favouring the 'no' side.  That in itself doesn't surprise me.  However, the ratio of 'no' to 'yes' does surprise me and IMHO gives a pretty good indication of just how misguided the general public is when it comes to CF affairs. At the time I'm writing this there have been almost 17,000 votes with 77% voting no.  Uh huh.

P'raps the Taliban have wireless in their caves...

Baden  Guy said:
I count three NDP in The GTA.  Now if you were arguing that the GTA was mostly Liberal , as Harper is well aware, then you would have a solid base for argument.   >:D

And by the way the G&M is one of the finest, well written and thoughtful papers in Canada.   :D

Edit:
Forgot my reference:
http://www.elections.ca/pas/39ge/39official.pdf

The G & M is a good paper...i didn't say it wasn't. Do the Math and figure out how many people there are in Toronto and therefore how many of the readership of the G&M are from the GTA. Look at who the populace of the GTA vote for...Lib and NDP...and therefore that is who is answering the poll. Lib and NDP supporters are not huge supporters of this mission and therefore most of them do not support our leader. I . didn't say the paper wasn't well written or that it is disrespected...I read it myself every now and then. I even look at the Star every now and then just to see how the left is spinning things.

Back