• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who'll be the next CDS? Speculation here, please!!

fireman1867

Inactive
Reaction score
Here is the link;

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071002/hillier_ottawa_071002/20071002?hub=TopStories

Oh say it ain't so, Uncle Rick?!?! Well, I must say, he is still one heck of CDS, soldier, and a man in general(no pun intended  ;) ).

Well... it was a nice army while it lasted... but we all knew the dream would end sometime.

Here's hoping his replacement is as great a CDS as Gen. Hillier...  (all we can do is hope)

This article actually has me bummed out a bit...

His tenure is up....here's hoping for either smilin' Walt Natynczyk or Gen. Leslie.

Seems Taylor got his facts straight before spouting off though.

Regards

If General Rick Hillier and Lt.Col. Omer Lavoie had a child together, I would follow that child to the gates of hell on a mission to serve ice cream, no questions asked.

RHFC_piper said:
Well... it was a nice army while it lasted... but we all knew the dream would end sometime.

Yeah because we all know that as soon as an AF or Navy general gets in there...its BOHICA for the army right ?

Damn.  :(

Hopefully General Hillier's replacement will bring much to the table and serve the CF just as steadfastly and professionally.

And Vern is pensionable in January ... ~whew~

Since when did CTV speculation and "insider information" gain the status of gospel here?

Here's to hoping they're all wrong... again.

Hey, let's see who's in charge of the government when it comes time to name a replacement, no?  Who knows what an election, whenever it happens, might bring....

Journalistic accuracy at its finest:

Possible successors include Vice-Admiral Drew Robertson and Maj.-Gen. Andrew Leslie

Last I saw, the CLS was a LGen.  It's not like there are a lot of them hanging around so you can lose one here and there...

What happens when the top-ranking officer in the miltiary is replaced? Mandatory retirement? There's no higher or equivalent position for him to go within the military, right?

What happens when the top-ranking officer in the miltiary is replaced? Mandatory retirement? There's no higher or equivalent position for him to go within the military, right?

Not necessarily. There are positions (though likely very few) for Generals who aren't CDS. Gen. Henault (Hillier's predecessor as CDS) is now the chairman of NATO's military committee.

Do we seriously believe a rumour? From what I have seen, the media likes to make problems where none exist. Is Dion in trouble? Media changes the tune. HUMMM Could this be a planned story to divide the public? It isn't ONLY Hillier who has made the military proud again, he couldn't do it with the Liberals, they did nothing for the military over 13 years. It took the Conservatives to support the military, before he got results. Remember that one fact.

I think the media is making much out of nothing, shame on them. Maybe Hillier wants to become an MP? Or, he might actually want to retire. Rumours.....wait and see.

I agree, wait and see...  Remember, in politic, a week is eternity, imagine 5 month... ::)

It could be the Navy 's turn at the helm folks....not everyone in uniform is Army. Vice Admiral Robertson is a very capable guy. I would think that after three years in that meat grinder of a job Gen Hillier is ready to move on. As others have pointed out this is a speculation piece at best and it will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Ref the CTV coverage of the event

Who ever heard of a departure ceremony beside the Dumpsters at Cartier Square?

Good point IHS,

In fact IRC didn't Hillier actually bump the Navy out of their turn at CDS?? I would think that Robertson is a shoe-in for the next in line. As much as I'd personally like to see Leslie in that position, he will be ready in three to six years when the Army gets their turn again. He wants the time to grow as CLS first. He's humble enough to know when he's not quite ready for a position.

As for Hillier...he doesn't seem to be the type to just get out after his tenure is over...who knows...perhaps a political posting somewhere running an Embassy or something? The sky is the limit...and then again, he may just want to go home to the rock and settle down. Possiblities are endless...and as many have pointed out...speculation is pointless.

Too bad, General Hillier, it was great working for ya  :salute: :cdn:

There aren't "turns" anymore when it comes to CDS, best man for the job.

CDN Aviator said:
Yeah because we all know that as soon as an AF or Navy general gets in there...its BOHICA for the army right ?

I think you're reading into it too much...  Perhaps I should have said "it was a nice military while it lasted...".

IMO, It doesn't matter what trade the CDS comes from as long as they're doing the job right... and since Gen. Hillier has been CDS, we've seen nothing but good in the forces in general.  A new CDS is like a new Prime minister (or politician in general), you roll the dice and hope for the best, 'cause you don't know if the new one is going to screw around with things as they are.

I think Hillier has done a great job with all the elements of the CF... I just use "army" as a generic term across the board, not just land forces.

btw...  what is BOHICA?

Back