• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who makes the C6??

Fabrique Nationale. Although I've heard of other companies manufacuring it under license. Its just a FN MAG with the Canadian Title "C6" .
I believe the Americans have them labelled M240? And are used by the USMC.

thanks.  I wanted to know that because i saw an American soldier in Iraq with one.

Yep, definitely a quality weapon, I still dont know why the US Army doesn't use a Medium Machinegun (Do they? As far as I know they're just using the SAW, which kind of limits then in terms of Heavier covering fire, 5.56 doesn't do much against Sandbags, a 7.62 round going over your head makes quite the mental impact)

CF_Lifer is correct in one instance. The Americans use the FN Mag (c6) labelled the M240.

Not sure to what extent, I assume at least one in every platoon? Can any Americans fill us in?

Except the Americans made some nice improvements to the weapon, which IMHO are something we should adopt.  I think one of the silliest things we did was take away the ability to quickly change the gas settings. 

As much as some people like to think,7.62 doesn't go through quite everything either.  Cement, multiple sandbags and even quite a few mud wall in the mid-east have shown their resilience against 7.62 fire.

Lots of websites and info on the M240, punch it into Google and you'll get tons of hits.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m240g.htm

The US Army is also replacing the M60 with the M240B, are they not?

A good proportion of the civvies at this year's Calgary Stampede come up to our weapons display, ask if the C6 is a "sniper rifle" and try to use the carrying handle as a scope.  ::)

I understand there will be changes to the number of C6s in an infantry company according to official doctrine - would it be a contravention of operational security to discuss that here?

The Americans have replaced the M60 with the M240, M240B and M240G - I'll be damned if I can figure out exactly what each variant has (one is a vehicle, the other two dismount guns).

The US Army TO&E is very similar to Canadian (or vice versa as it were) the USMC seems to be a little different as they were still using teh M240G as a squad weapon (using a 12 man squad with 2x M249/C9's as well)

Light Inf Platton have 2x C6 flex (dismount guns obviously) - mech have 1 x flex (and the 4 Coax guns on the LAVIII's).

A good proportion of the civvies at this year's Calgary Stampede come up to our weapons display, ask if the C6 is a "sniper rifle" and try to use the carrying handle as a scope.

We had the same problem at the career fair this year - but it was worse for the C9, which I staffed most of the time, because of its scope, bipod and relatively thin looking design.  But we felt like telling the kids that the C6 was the "main service rifle" of the CF, and everybody who joins is trained to be an accurate marksman with it.  >:D

But has anyone here fired both the C6 and M240, and can say which is a better stock, wood or synthetic?  As well, why haven't we adopted the US style heat shields/stocks that are standard on both C6 and C9? 

Kirkpatrick said:
But has anyone here fired both the C6 and M240, and can say which is a better stock, wood or synthetic?   As well, why haven't we adopted the US style heat shields/stocks that are standard on both C6 and C9?  

I guess a synthetic strock makes i a bit lighter...  but wooden makes its pretty good melee weapon.  Imagine getting hit in the face by a C6  :eek:

Having been hit in the face with the butt of a C7 I can attest it hurts.....a lot! lol

There is a C6 'force modernization' attempt underway - M1913 Picatinny rails to be added for the PEQ-2/PAC-4 and flashlight.  I think there is some talk of the heat sheilds (I dont think they are needed BTW) and various other odds and sods.

I prefer the M240 and L7A2 (Brit) stocks as they are lighter, (theoretically) stronger and more resistant to Bio/Chem than the wood on the C6...

ExDragoon, I caught the butt of the C9 once, can't say it hurt more than the C7 but it did line the pockets of the local Dentist when I had to get a crown replaced. The guy beside me said it made a pretty cool sound though!! :-X

ask the armoured guys how many stoppages were attributed to the new gas reg's, very few as compared to the adjustable ones (they were very few to begin with). as for the Americans using the C6 its the smartest thing they have done. we now have a NATO standard for a GPMG in the western countrys. the US has addopted these on their helicopters, tanks , humvees, larger trucks etc you name it and it will probelly have a mounting for a C6. the nice thing the US did was  introduce a shorter butt and barrell for the weapon, for MOUT operations. they also put a sight with some night vision capabilitys on it, along with rails to mount lights, laser pointers and all their other equipment which one uses today for fighting.

Whoa the ROF on the 240 on the fact file seems very low don't you think?

http://www.fnmfg.com/products/m240/m240b.htm

even the manufacturer's stats are higher - and the C6 rate is 650-900 rounds...

???

You're splitting hairs, Mr. Baker.  By whatever label applied to it (M240, C6, L7A1, etc), it's all the same gun in basic terms, the FN MAG-58.

sorry I couldnt remember the American designation to it (M240)= C6 = 7.62mm NATO standard, seems to be the best GPMG out their besides the German MG 42 which is still used in different variations to day by the German army. Good weapon and glad our friends to the south are using them.

CTD said:
sorry I couldnt remember the American designation to it (M240)= C6 = 7.62mm NATO standard, seems to be the best GPMG out their besides the German MG 42 which is still used in different variations to day by the German army. Good weapon and glad our friends to the south are using them.

The MG42 is a 1942 design, the current German Armed Forces use the MG3 which is basically the same design but with a few modernizations.

I was watching a video from Iraq and I noticed their Humvees had what looked like an M240 on it, but it may have been the old school M60.

M240 BAH...

Get a load of this...

Okay the pics did not work  :mad:

I think we need if for the G Wagon hard point.

Nothing? I'm sure we could easily mount nothing on a G-Wagon, but why?  :p

Just buggin ya, mate.. there's a big blank spot in your post where whatever it is you wanted to show should be.

Back