• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who here has a Cadet Medal, what is it, and what did you have to do to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WO2_mandal said:
Hey I can post here now ! .....Lord Strathcona Medal, all I had to do was show up for annual and i got it... ???....didn't apply for it or anything....but i got it hehe... ;D
Although I was already elligible to post in here for my Legion Medal, I guess I can mention that I received the Lord Strathcona Medal as well as my Army Cadet Service Medal for 6 years service, at my ACR.

Since I have 12 post now I guess its time to elaborate on exactly what I did you recieve this medal, since something so small has started so much contraversy (WOW! what a snowball effect). Anyhow the requirements that I had to achieve while I was a cadet to be eligible for the Lord Strathacona medal are quite simple: minimum of 50 partial situps in 60 seconds (just the partial ones= wrist to knees), a minimum of 40 push ups, minimum of 7 chin ups, and a 4 mile run in under 30 minutes.

If you are wondering how well my performance was: I did 62 situps in one minute, 50 push ups, 15 chin ups, and I ran the 4 miles in 27.13. There was also a leadership part of the process, but at the time I was WO2 of my unit so that was a given.  

I have been lurking these forums for a long time now while at work.

I work with GunnerySgtHeartman at the Nuclear plant, and am planning to join the Combat Infantry, as soon as my contract is up here.

You are way off base with your accusations, Kyle Burrows, and I'm not sure why you directed him to the Cadet Forum rules because if anyone is pulling rank in this conflict (that you created) and acting smug its you.

I should report you to Mike in that case, following the Cadet Forum Rules, and see what he decides.

Point GunnerySgtHeartman to a rule that he is breaking, and I'm sure whatever issue you have will be remedied.

EDIT: Thank you for directing us to the rule. Also, Kyle, you endorsed his name in the past, so you understand our responses. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26115/post-229996.html#msg229996

You also disrespected him and judged his maturity lacking because he quoted a movie to help explain why he chose his name. His post was obviously a joke, and was not meant to be demeaning.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24391/post-233005.html#msg233005

Earlier, you stated that his posts were too little to be smug, but, in my opinion, his posts were too small to judge him.

I hate to waste my first post on a rant, but you just plain pissed me off.

Gency said:
Point GunnerySgtHeartman to a rule that he is breaking, and I'm sure whatever issue you have will be remedied.

Under the Conduct Guidelines thread:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-99023.html#msg99023

Using rank-The same goes for rank guys. It's not an official site but if you put down your a Sgt or captain and you start making posts some people will believe your opinion is that of said rank and not whatever you actually are. (be it civilian, private, cadet etc..).
Some of us will know the difference, others won't.  If someone asks a question "Captain Assault Rifle"with the RCR cap badge avatar and captain rank (WHO is a well spoken 15 year old kid interested in army stuff who posts on lots of message boards) answers the question, the poster might think the answer is comming from a Captain in the RCR. Who cares? Well theres a good chance the answer could be wrong, it gives the RCR a bad name ("Ya some officer in the RCR told me he doesn't think cadets need to take any drill during basic training!") and gives the site a bad name. You also get a wrong answer so your time is wasted.

[quote author=Gency]
I have been lurking these forums for a long time now while at work.
[/quote]

[quote author=Gency]
You are way off base with your accusations, Kyle Burrows, and I'm not sure why you directed him to the Cadet Forum rules because if anyone is pulling rank in this conflict (that you created) and acting smug its you.
[/quote]
Theres more to the rules than just the pulling of rank.

As a moderator who focuses on the cadet forum it is my job to ensure that conversation remains intelligent, as we have been used as a resource many times before.
[quote author=Gency]I should report you to Mike in that case, following the Cadet Forum Rules, and see what he decides.[/quote]
If you have a problem with the actions of myself or any other member of the directing staff I encourage you to report the situation to Mr. Bobbitt and if he agrees with your concern he will speak with us about it.

[quote author=Gency]Also, Kyle, you endorsed his name in the past, so you understand our responses. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26115/post-229996.html#msg229996[/quote]
I did at no point endorse his name.  I was laughing out of the sheer idiocy of choosing such a name in my opinion.  Also, for the record I did actually laugh.

[quote author=Gency]You also disrespected him and judged his maturity lacking because he quoted a movie to help explain why he chose his name. His post was obviously a joke, and was not meant to be demeaning.[/quote]
I get enough cadet versions of Hartman, I can now see there are officers that instill that in their cadets.

[quote author=Gency]Earlier, you stated that his posts were too little to be smug, but, in my opinion, his posts were too small to judge him.[/quote] I don't recall ever calling his posts little.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

[quote author=Gency]I hate to waste my first post on a rant, but you just plain pissed me off.[/quote]

[Note: sarcasm removed- Harris]

For people who are supposed to be moderating these forums, I see public discussions and displayed sarcasm as an extremely unprofessional thing for you to be doing in hopes of setting examples of peaceful resolutions to problems. As a fellow member amongst us all, I am restraining by saying that all of this is pure foolish. We are here to discuss, and discuss we should be able to do without public humiliation or ranting. As a concern, could this not be accomplished through private messaging? A lot of these disrespectful assaults seem to happen around these woods on an all too common basis.

Getting the ANAVET medal is fun ::) I received the ANAVET medal for D&C in vernon this year. My advice....DONT FRAT!!lol. that was my goal this summer, and....TA DA!! The requirements for it are straight forward too : excellent physical fitness, outstanding leadership, team work, and (unwritten) espirit-de-corps. OO, and make sure your bunkspace is ALWAYS neat, and your bed is tight ;) To get it, you have to stand out in dress and deportment too. Just be determined and goal oriented in everything that you do. my quote from D&C 2005 "im not fit...IM DETERMINED!" GO FOR IT!!

Hey Buschgirl congrats on getting the ANAVET! I also got an ANAVET but for Adventure at Blackdown. The ANAVET winner is selected with this criteria:

1 overall, outstanding achievement on his/her course;
2 leadership assessments; and
3 performance on physical fitness tests

Really they look at so much more, when my Major told me that she had an extremely hard choice at choosing the top cadet I believed her. So many people excel in those three criterias so they have to look at everything. In the end it was our Reg. PPCLI WO who chose. 

thanks GGHG_cadet. You too, congratz. My next goal is the RCL medal of excellence. I love IB!! so many volunteer hours!!

vadeanu said:
anyone know anyone who has the good ol' medal or bravery?   :p

i know this is an old post but i had to respond

yes i do. there is a post about him. i believe there is someone Else i know that will be receiving it as well.

Is the major General W.A Howard award for top Nsce mark in your province, or in your region?

In Ontario the MGen Howard award is given to the top male and female cadet with the highest mark on NSCE not below 85%.

I believe it is for top in each province (according to one of my friends in Prarie Region), but I do not know personally, since each region is slightly different:

- Pac Region really only has 1 province (BC)
- Central Region (as stated) gives it out to the top male and top female (at least in ontario)

I don't have one but quite a few of my Squadron has it. Its a nijmegan medal!

check our squadron's website to learn more about it here http://www.180mosquito.ca/180.htm

The medal is for a 160 km march in Holland. Canada sends a contingent every year and our squadron has sent 3 ten man teams so far. Its a great change from all the standard cadet medals and starts alot of conversations.

GGHG_Cadet said:
In Ontario the MGen Howard award is given to the top male and female cadet with the highest mark on NSCE not below 85%.

ya it seems fair to give it to 2 people in Ontario. seeing we have a population of around 12 million, i have met 2 maj/ gen winnersthey were both from the GTA

I had the Royal Canadian Legion Medal for Cadet Excellency, however, other than being the unit Coxswain, I did nothing to deserve it. However, I was the first one in about 10 years to recieve the medal. The person that did get the Lord Strathcona medal however, according to the norms, did not deserve it at the time. However, seeing that I do not have much respect for the Right Honourable Donald Alexander Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal, well, I don't car as much.

However, if the Sea Cadet Service Medal is ever created, I will probably purchase one.

Good day!

I don't have one but quite a few of my Squadron has it. Its a nijmegan medal!

check our squadron's website to learn more about it here http://www.180mosquito.ca/180.htm

The medal is for a 160 km march in Holland. Canada sends a contingent every year and our squadron has sent 3 ten man teams so far. Its a great change from all the standard cadet medals and starts alot of conversations.

It's a cool medal, unfortunately it is not one of the authorized medals for cadets, which i would to see have changed.  I hoping to send my unit on the march one of these years.

regards

PV

I started this topic back in early 2005 because I was curious about medals. I got my first medal a few days ago.  :)

• Legion Medal of Excellence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back