• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

Women can join as ordinary members, they don't have to be members of the LA.
I hope this has died out, but probably not: anecdotally, have heard of a great deal of friction between the LA crowd and servicewomen, especially as the latter began to retire at higher ranks and out of more traditionally male trades.

I hope this has died out, but probably not: anecdotally, have heard of a great deal of friction between the LA crowd and servicewomen, especially as the latter began to retire at higher ranks and out of more traditionally male trades.
I haven’t been active in a local branch for six years now (still a member at large), but the LA at my old branch before I moved was still going strong. It’s an anachronism I can’t really wrap my head around. I cannot speak for female vets, obviously. If some were to say that the existence of a ‘ladies auxiliary’ caused them concern or turned them off to the Legion, I’d easily believe them.

Don't know the dynamic of that street, but event spaces in an entertainment district should be pretty hard to keep empty, especially for the sort of gig where you turn off most of the lights for most of the night, feed the crowd bar-grade liquor, and let the band or DJ rip.

Haven't been around them for a few years, but the Sooke Legion seems to be an outlier: the user base skewing older, but with, by observation, a healthy ongoing influx of CAF recently-retireds. Fairly regular and well-subscribed live music and other open-door events. That said, it's in an unusual location, just isolated enough not to be entirely outcompeted as a social venue by commercial entities, but close enough to Esquimalt to enjoy an outsize by modern standards pool of current and retired pers in its neighbourhood. Not sure how their charters work, but the RCL might want to look at shuttering everything that can't at least demonstrate ongoing appeal to 50 year old current or former members.
It’s easy when your competition is Buffy’s.

Cracking a beer or two, and hopping on Call of Duty for a couple hours with a handful of guys you deployed with could be, for many, their version of meeting at the Legion hall for card games.
Thats my Saturday evening many weeks, though it's not guys I deployed with, just guys I met through gaming who happen to be ex-military(mostly USN).

Thats my Saturday evening many weeks, though it's not guys I deployed with, just guys I met through gaming who happen to be ex-military(mostly USN).
It's weird how much in common there is between the actual day to day experience of folks in military; the acronyms, language, uniforms etc may be different, but everyone else seems to be FUBARd in familiar ways.

It's weird how much in common there is between the actual day to day experience of folks in military; the acronyms, language, uniforms etc may be different, but everyone else seems to be FUBARd in familiar ways.
Absolutely.

Take a read of other military subreddits - we have 99% of the same complaints.
  • Housing (or the state of it)
  • Pay not keeping up with inflation
  • No deployments (for Army)
  • Too many deployments (for Navy/Air Force)
  • Not enough medals
  • Crappy CoC
  • Not getting enough people
  • Everyone wanting to leave
The Australian Military subreddit is a good one to check out - I recall about 8 or so years ago when there were a few Canadian articles about how we should be like them.

Absolutely.

Take a read of other military subreddits - we have 99% of the same complaints.
  • Housing (or the state of it)
  • Pay not keeping up with inflation
  • No deployments (for Army)
  • Too many deployments (for Navy/Air Force)
  • Not enough medals
  • Crappy CoC
  • Not getting enough people
  • Everyone wanting to leave
The Australian Military subreddit is a good one to check out - I recall about 8 or so years ago when there were a few Canadian articles about how we should be like them.

Canadians are complaining about that ?

The army folks posting on the CAF subreddit sure are.

Really ? I mean we've lowered the medal requirements to a pretty low standard. Some I think are just 14 days now. I stand be corrected.

What do they propose?

Army folks aren't deploying. Hence they aren't getting medals.

Or so they say.
I think its less that folks aren't deploying and more that Garrison life in a Brigade is soul sucking.

You're either bored out of your tree because there isn't much to do with the limited resources you have for ranges, trg, and PD; or

You're ramping up... again.... to start the R2HR cycle..... again...... to practice skills and TTPs you will not employ unless you're on a mission that calls for combat effects.

If I were a Combat Arms guy with no prospects of getting that sweet FSP/HA/RA and instead get to LARP for 4 months out of the year (if I'm lucky), I'd be upset about it, too.

Last edited:
I think its less that folks aren't deploying and more that Garrison life in a Brigade is soul sucking.

You're either bored out of your tree be ause there isn't mich to do with the limited resources you have for ranges, trg, and PD; or

You're ramping up... again.... to start the R2HR cycle..... again...... to practice skills and TTPs you will not employ unless you're on a mission that calls for combat effects.

If I were a Combat Arms guy with no prospects of getting that sweet FSP/HA/RA and instead get to LARP for 4 months out of the year (if I'm lucky), I'd be upset about it, too.
Chair Force is recruiting. Always operational.

Back