• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

"Veterans threaten to give back special licence plates if RCMP are eligible for same plates"

See also,

What is a Veteran?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/29033.100.html
5 pages.

Veterans License Plates 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/18176.100
5 pages.

Pusser said:
Denying the RCMP status as "veterans" is utter nonsense.  The people against this need to do some research.  Consider:

1)  they are a paramilitary organization with very strong military traditions
2)  NWMP members formed the nucleus of Lord Strathcona's Horse when that regiment was raised during the Boer War
3)  NWMP members also formed several units for service in WWI
4)  Canada had no Military Police at the beginning of WWII and RCMP members stepped up to from Provost Companies
5)  By Royal decree, they are officially a "Regiment of Dragoons," which gives them the right to carry battle honours (which they do - including the Northwest Rebellions, the Boer War and both World Wars)
6)  They serve in a counter-intelligence and national security role, most notably in wartime
7)  The NWMP/RNWMP/RCMP have been involved in every conflict in which Canada has engaged since their formation and their members continue to serve on military operations today

The RCMP has earned it's place on the fourth corner of the National War Memorial and they are veterans.

I'd have to say that at least half the people in this country are quite ignorant of its own history - this included.  I'd also go so far as to say that perhaps people don't learn enough Canadian military history in recruit training - I want to say we had exactly 90 minutes of it during my Recruit training in 1988...though we did get little vignettes a 2-4 times a week of various VC and other bravery award winners through their medal citations. 

MM

Good2Golf said:
vs a CAF member who, while also serving their country, may have never left the safety/confines of Canada itself? ???

Looks like finishing BMQ is sufficient in some ( all? ) provinces,

"2. A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, Regular or Reserves, who successfully completed basic training."
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/funding-engagement-permits/vets-licence-plate-survey

mariomike said:
Looks like finishing BMQ is sufficient in some ( all? ) provinces,

"2. A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, Regular or Reserves, who successfully completed basic training."
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/funding-engagement-permits/vets-licence-plate-survey

Yup.  All the more reason this is a mountain made from a molehill...

Funny thought: “Upset Veteran” hands back license, gets stopped by a Mountie for some traffic infraction, then tries to influence the Mountie with an “I’m a veteran, can you help me out?”  Then the Mountie replies with, “I know that. Your DL’s file shows you returned the plate, I’m assuming because you disagreed with Mounties being considered veterans.  Sorry, I’m not in a position to apply leniency - you’ll have to make your case in traffic court.  Here’s your ticket. Have a nice day.”

;D

Smash out basic training on weekends, quit, then shop around for some sweet discounts.

My wife won't let me get a Veterans' plate... she says that my driving is too good :)

Across the country, Royal Canadian Legion branches are facing the realities that come with aging member demographics.

About half of the legion’s 270,000 members are aged 65 or over — a statistic that’s taking a toll on everything from filling poppy campaign shifts to paying the monthly rent.

Ronn Anderson, president of the Manitoba and Northwest Ontario command, said it’s an issue affecting city and rural branches alike, with closures in small towns and big cities like Winnipeg.

“We are having a problem within the Royal Canadian Legion with our aging population,” Anderson said.

https://ottawacitizen.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/aging-dwindling-legions-look-to-halt-long-decline-we-are-changing/wcm/1f035151-c634-48be-8846-3c4f478f735b

dapaterson said:
Across the country, Royal Canadian Legion branches are facing the realities that come with aging member demographics.
Ahh, so it's an aging problem;  here I thought it was Legion people treating military members and veterans as a burden, as they focused on playing dress-up with their make-believe medals, et al.

The 2 legions were all dead in North Van by 8:00pm, along with the Army, Navy, Air Force club, the Federation of Eagles who manged to turn around their membership had a rocking band the and place was packed.

Colin P said:
The 2 legions were all dead in North Van by 8:00pm, along with the Army, Navy, Air Force club, the Federation of Eagles who manged to turn around their membership had a rocking band the and place was packed.

Never heard of the Federation of Eagles before so I had to look it up on Wikipedia.

I am not and have never been a member of the legion.  I have no opinions on them but I would like to share my recent experience.

It was coming up to the 25th anniversary of OP FRICTION (Gulf War I) and I was curious if any events were planned.  I was deployed on this, so it is of interest to me.  I Googled something like "25 year anniversary gulf war Canada".  I found nothing official but I did find a directive from someone at Legion Headquarters saying that one way to attract new members would be to organize events around the 25th anniversary of Gulf War I. 

I emailed several of the local legion groups, introduced myself, referenced the directive and asked if they had anything planned.  I offered to participate or help organize something. 

Of the four or five emails I sent, I only received one reply.  So that is odd.

Of the one reply I got, it was "let me look into this; I will get back to you".  The individual never got back to me. So that is odd, too.

So overall my  experience was bit off-putting.  Again, I still have nothing really for (or against) the legion, but I thought this anecdote worth sharing. 

And it seems odd to me that they can have more than RCL Branch with the same number.
As for Branch 8 I've identified 4 so far? ::)

XRoyal.....

I believe I read that the branches are numbered by province, not nationally.

Cheers,
Bill

X Royal said:
And it seems odd to me that they can have more than RCL Branch with the same number.
As for Branch 8 I've identified 4 so far?

You're right. I did not know that, but just looked online. Odd, but, yes, maybe 'tis provincial.

The real Branch 8 is the Stratford Ontario one. They've just moved into a brand-new building - smaller than many would have liked - but the much larger old one was deteriorating and would have cost more to repair than was worth it.

The Branch is quite healthy, in large part due to CWO Art Boone, who fought across France and Holland via the Scheldt Estuary campaign, and turned 94 on 12 November.

There's a funeral home across the narrow parking lot, owned by the bass drummer from the Stratford Police (and formerly T Coy 4 RCR) Pipes and Drums, who may also be a Legion member - possibly a good business move.

Saw this in Radio Chatter,

PPCLI Guy said:
The Legion has little to do with military service these days, and very little experience of same....

http://espritdecorps.ca/perspectives-1/calling-out-the-great-veteran-pretender

No wonder that they are poor guardians of the faith.

The Branch in my neighbourhood was in operation for 85 years. It was the only place you could get anything stronger than a ginger ale or a Coke.

But, after the neighbourhood voted itself wet in 2000, its days were numbered.

The "smoke free" bylaws didn't help either. They were hoping for an exemption, like they got for the liquor licence, but it didn't work out.

The building was sold to a single owner, who to turned it into his residence with space for his cars.

Appear to be a fair number of Legion branches with GoFundMe pages set up; with precarious finances at the best of times, a months long shutdown is more than they can handle.

I am going to paint with a rather broad brush here, but given that there is general consensus here that the RCL hasn't fulfilled its mission with regard to 'modern' veterans, is there an opportunity for a new organization to rise up and fill the vacuum?

Or is the whole idea of a club of ex-servicepersons anachronistic? 

I would posit that it is a "scale" problem. There are simply not enough interested retired members in any volume to make this a viable business case nationally, though a "League of Extraordinary Veterans" group might generate some local interest. Though still serving, I have no intention whatsoever to join the RCL upon retirement, they appear to serve as a 1970's-era social network, notwithstanding their claims to serve veterans. Very few "true" vets serve on the Exec committees. These realities seems to be well understood, and a detriment to membership, amongst serving CAF members. :2c:

Back