• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

Wrangler said:
We are discussing the ceremony and how it's run, I question what you perceive as the Legion using that day for advancing in what we believe in and I personally take offense to that. I have run this ceremony for the last 17 years and the day I was asked to coordinate this solemn day I accepted on one condition. This day is for the fallen, and the serving members before us now. It's a day to remember those who have sacrificed for our country. Not only the Fallen have sacrificed, but so many do every day, those now serving at home and abroad. I will not let the Legion, any Veteran's organization, the military or any government change, alter or detract from a very simple ceremony. If for some reason we have someone that wishes to speak, they may talk, but it's a full 20 mins before the service takes place. Nothing is supposed to detract from the ceremony at hand. You may have attended services in the past that were held incorrectly, I apologize for that. Just please don't lump all the work the Legion does into one pot. It is a highly respectful ceremony and I'm sorry you feel like there's too much window dressing.

That's fine, it's your prerogative, and that's why I apologized, in advance, for my annual rant; but I stand by every word and punctuation mark. The Legion, which appears to include you, gets in the way of my remembrance and, feeling the occasional need for a memorial to those who have no known grave, I choose to do my ceremony, in my way (proper) way ~ quietly, privately, unobtrusively, despite what the RCL and a horde of political lackeys are doing around me.

Something I have been doing these last few years is remembering this map when I walk through my neighborhood,

Grief’s geography: Three separate maps show the war dead of two World Wars and Korea.
http://globalnews.ca/news/932833/griefs-geography-mapping-torontonians-killed-three-wars/

I still have the telegram they handed my grandparents.

E.R. Campbell said:
That's fine, it's your prerogative, and that's why I apologized, in advance, for my annual rant; but I stand by every word and punctuation mark. The Legion, which appears to include you, gets in the way of my remembrance and, feeling the occasional need for a memorial to those who have no known grave, I choose to do my ceremony, in my way (proper) way ~ quietly, privately, unobtrusively, despite what the RCL and a horde of political lackeys are doing around me.

Hear hear. Rememberance Day for me is to remember, as I do every waking hour of each day, those who I last saw as a body bag on an angel flight, due to op tempo I couldn't go back for ramp ceremonies etc... That is it. I don't care about free meals, civvies buying me drinks in the pub, I don't go to the legion afterward for sandwiches and darts, hell, I don't even wear my medals to the ceremony as I don't want attention brought to myself. I made it home. That day is for those who never will.

Can we put this to Rest with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1UhEoQUvA0

and move on.

George Wallace said:
Can we put this to Rest with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1UhEoQUvA0

and move on.

Well played...Really! She played it very well. BZ.

[quote author=Brihard]
I think the point being made is that the Legion does not own remembrance, remembrance day, or remembrance day ceremonies.
[/quote]

[quote author=E.R. Campbell]
The Legion's "ownership" of remembrance day is recent* and doesn't apply to me [/quote]

This is exactly the issue for me. It feels like the Legion attempts to own Remembrance day and Remembrance day ceremonies. They already own the Poppy, or at least the commonly used version in Canada.

It feels too commercialized now. The last few ceremonies I've been at it seemed like every single business in the city had their named called out for a wreath.  Instead of hearing how walmart donated a $45 wreath I'd rather listen to an old vet tell some stories.

This morning I was at a convenience store and I noticed the poppy box. "Poppies and bracelets, minimum donation $2.00"  (those little live free style rubber bracelets).  No thanks.

Due to my work, I have found myself in far flung areas of Canada on Remembrance Day.  The Petawawa legion does a decent job of it, if a bit long winded.  Last year we were coerced into attending the ceremony on the Okanagan Indian Band reserve in Vernon, that was different, and quite nice until it became political.  The local Legion here (Westlock, AB) does an okay job of it, other than usually fucking up the marching on and off of The Colours.  One thing they do here that grinds my gears is they ask all the vets to stand up so everyone can give them a round of applause.  I find this nauseating, not my day, my day to member guys who'll never again get to stand in a hall with their loved ones.  I like to sneak in, stand in the back of the hall, so I can shed a tear if I need to, then leave.  Yes, I wear my medals and headdress, and yes I go to the legion hall after, to have a drink for those who went before.

Jarnhamar said:
This morning I was at a convenience store and I noticed the poppy box. "Poppies and bracelets, minimum donation $2.00"  (those little live free style rubber bracelets).  No thanks.

Nice...now we have a minimum "donation" for something many people are required to wear on their uniforms, regardless of service...and usually fall off first car ride into work.

MM

I make my yearly donation, but if my poppy falls off I obstinately refuse to donate again, even as I pick-up a new poppy. Despite glares, evil eyes and disapproving frowns. They don't know I've already donated...many times in my life.

To be charitable, I think one of the issues may be that the US has effectively two days and we are seeing some spillover here. They have Memorial Day (May 30ish) and Veterans Day (Nov 11). With Veterans' Day and Remembrance Day falling on the same date, it is easy to see how the two might get comingled.

All that to say that I agree with Edward.

Jarnhamar said:
This is exactly the issue for me. It feels like the Legion attempts to own Remembrance day and Remembrance day ceremonies. They already own the Poppy, or at least the commonly used version in Canada.

It feels too commercialized now. The last few ceremonies I've been at it seemed like every single business in the city had their named called out for a wreath.  Instead of hearing how walmart donated a $45 wreath I'd rather listen to an old vet tell some stories.

The legion I attend refuses to do that.  They do call out every community veteran who has passed including their US veterans (WW2, Vietnam).  They are a small legion and mostly dying.  The military contingent does their colours as there is only 1 actual veteran fit enough to leave a wheel chair. 

medicineman said:
Nice...now we have a minimum "donation" for something many people are required to wear on their uniforms, regardless of service...and usually fall off first car ride into work.

MM

I like what this guy is doing: http://poppypins.com/Home_Page.php

I ordered some of these pins myself and they work great.  The sad part is that the Legion has known about the problem with the straight pin for years, yet has steadfastly refused to do anything about it.  In some cases, there have even been admissions that they like people to lose their poppies because they believe it encourages them to donate again.

The Legion has apparently tried to censure the guy doing this, which is ironic because he's a Legion member!

Pusser said:

I ordered some of these pins myself and they work great.  The sad part is that the Legion has known about the problem with the straight pin for years, yet has steadfastly refused to do anything about it.  In some cases, there have even been admissions that they like people to lose their poppies because they believe it encourages them to donate again.

The Legion has apparently tried to censure the guy doing this, which is ironic because he's a Legion member!

I just use a pencil eraser...and usually have a few spares lying around in the car or my locker at work.  I'm frankly not surprised that the Legion would get all over someone for that...surprised that they haven't tried suing those of us with poppy memorial tattoos ::).

MM

I guess I am just a Rebel.  I'm just happy people donate to the Poppy fund. I could care less if someone uses their initiative to pin it how and where they want on their dress.

This dress reg business just pisses me off. I had enough of that as a full time soldier. I will continue to exercise my prerogative to put a Canada pin in the poppy and put it on my hat when I want too.

And I will continue to wear whatever head dress the military issued me instead of the RCL beret as long as I want to as well.

Go ahead RCL Chain of Command and give me a chit or boot me out for these serious dress reg infractions.

medicineman said:
I'm frankly not surprised that the Legion would get all over someone for that...surprised that they haven't tried suing those of us with poppy memorial tattoos ::).

Regarding the Legion and poppy tattoos, I saw this from British Columbia,

"Remembrance Day Poppy Drives
In 2011 Urge Tattoos held the first ever Canadian Remembrance Day Poppy Drive in Support of the Canadian Armed Forces by way of the Canadian Legion. Every Remembrance Day since 2011 Urge and our outstanding artists, as well as amazing artists from a number of other great shops around Victoria, have donated their time and materials to this very worthy cause — all funds raised from the tattooing of poppies on Remembrance Day are donated to the Royal Canadian Legion. We’re distinctly proud of the hundreds of hours we’ve put in, and the thousands of dollars we’ve raised in support of our past and present service members as well as their families. Often imitated but never duplicated; ensure your donation is going to the cause. We proudly display letters of recognition from the Legion on our walls."
http://www.urgetattoos.com/supporting-our-community/

I've never had a tattoo, but there are some popular poppy memorial designs to chose from,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22remembrance+day%22+tattoo&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ3f_Jg4jQAhWi64MKHYHABkYQ_AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=770

Pusser said:

A Brilliant idea,andI have purchased some too.

I also have orderd some of these velcro patches;

http://urbantactical.com/urban-tactical-velcro-poppy-patch.html

I actually saw those patches in the store when I was in a couple weeks ago...should have thought to grab a couple.

MM

www.urbantactical set off my Antimalware filter.
Stop! This website is not safe
This website contains malware that may harm your computer

This website contains elements classified as malware: software that can harm your computer or operate without your consent. Visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.

Pusser said:

Easier yet, glue the black felt center to a thumb tack and use a standard clasp to secure it to your clothing. I've been doing this for years on my dress uniform, because one invariably loses poppy between the house and the parade.

And yes, I still donate to the poppy fund every year.

I bought these Poppy pins last year, using them this year and very satisfied.

Back