• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

John Tescione said:
Tehn own them on your means, not here.

You know the trouble Mike and army.ca has gone through, before whenr people used their "Own words" to attack certain Journalists.

You, of all people should know better, as you were here when that all went down.  Sorry, you are out of order.

It may sound noble, when you type it, but I hope you will step up if there are any legal issues agains Mike and the site.

Fair enough. Out of respect for the issues the site has faced before, I have to concede that you are right. It will take me a few minutes to go back and make appropraite edits to shield the site from potential liability. My opinions will still be stated, but in general enough terms that army.ca is protected.

I strongly stand by the things I have been seen to say in the past hour, however whether I like it or not, if I'm to be a member here I have to respect what the owner has previously needed to mandate in order to shield army.ca from potential liability. I will update this once I have made my appropriate edits. It will be necessary for members who have quoted my posts to make appropriate efforts as they deem fit, or to ask another admin to do so. I don't feel comfortable editing other members' posts quoting me.

Give me about ten minutes or so here...

John Tescione said:
Funny thing is you and your crony (Not you Brian, another person) can't seem to leave me alone.  I also see reported to posts, bening a moderator.

Considering you were  once a mentor, act with some decorum.

"Decorum",  thanks for the chuckles John much appreciated on a Friday night night!

Puckchaser I totally agree.  It's a shit sandwich.  It reminds me of the idlenomore crap and all the chiefs trying to get their hands in the pot. 

Brihard said:
Fair enough. Out of respect for the issues the site has faced before, I have to concede that you are right. It will take me a few minutes to go back and make appropraite edits to shield the site from potential liability. My opinions will still be stated, but in general enough terms that army.ca is protected.

I strongly stand by the things I have been seen to say in the past hour, however whether I like it or not, if I'm to be a member here I have to respect what the owner has previously needed to mandate in order to shield army.ca from potential liability. I will update this once I have made my appropriate edits. It will be necessary for members who have quoted my posts to make appropriate efforts as they deem fit, or to ask another admin to do so. I don't feel comfortable editing other members' posts quoting me.

Give me about ten minutes or so here...

I will do the same and delete my posts with the quotes, Brian.

And done. I've done the necessary edits to protect the site from past legal ghosts. I don't particularly like doing it, but I don't own the site so it's not my choice. My opinions on the matter remain unchanged, but I've mostly been able to find a way around the issues surrounding that particular person to still say what I feel I need to say.

Brihard said:
And done. I've done the necessary edits to protect the site from past legal ghosts. I don't particularly like doing it, but I don't own the site so it's not my choice. My opinions on the matter remain unchanged, but I've mostly been able to find a way around the issues surrounding that particular person to still say what I feel I need to say.

Roger, I have removed my posts that had your quotes, no need for them to be up, and see the unedited posts.

I also stand by my points, as it is my opinion too, that the members of the Special Section brought this heat on themselves.  Piss poor planning, and attacking anyone that does not agree with them, does not attract supporters.  Especially when they went after the media like they did.

John Tescione said:
Roger, I have removed my posts that had your quotes, no need for them to be up, and see the unedited posts.

I also stand by my points, as it is my opinion too, that the members of the Special Section brought this heat on themselves.  Piss poor planning, and attacking anyone that does not agree with them, does not attract supporters.  Especially when they went after the media like they did.

My exact wording on that precise issue to one of the leadership figures in the OSI section is "our comms suck balls". It is an acknowleged issue that has been sadly overlooked. Military vets are used to pushing forward on something and getting it done, less so on the need to test, market, and sell an idea. I have also been pushing the notion that "We need them, they do not need us" with regards to the RCL's engagement with modern vets. Generally speaking both notions are reasonably well received among the early participants in the OSI initiative. "Special Section" has specific meaning in Legion bylaws, but I've pointed out need not necessarily wed us to a specific name in common use. We expect/hope to see ratification in the next few days, that will make the project official, and hopefully with that established, a lot more of the nuts and bolts can be figured out. I'm already aware of one project ready to get pushed up as soon as a final executive is established, and I'm sure others will follow.

The OSI Special Section was just ratified by the Convention Delegates.

Change to Legion Structure Will Improve Services to Veterans.

ST. JOHN'S, June 12, 2016 /CNW/ - The Delegates at the 46th Dominion Convention took a huge step forward earlier today after they passed a motion to create the Operational Stress Injury Special Section.

"This will provide outreach, peer-support, referral services, and advocacy for Veterans and their families who are affected by mental health disorders, including PTSD," says Royal Canadian Legion Dominion President, Tom Eagles.

"As Canada's largest Veteran's service organization, the Legion is uniquely positioned to help veterans and families affected by Operational Stress Injuries. With the reach and diversity of Legion members, we will be able to touch virtually every community in Canada and connect Veterans affected by OSI with resources that they need to help them and their families. The Veterans who have launched this initiative and those who have already pledged their support are strongly committed to helping their fellow Veterans overcome the challenges of their injuries and regain control of their lives. What's good for our Veterans is good for our communities," says interim President of the OSI Special Section, Glynne Hines.

Operational Stress Injury – Special Section
Terms of Reference:
The OSI Special Section will

Reach out and assist Veterans and their families affected by OSI;
Promote public awareness and work to de-stigmatize the public perception of Veterans with OSI;
Bring focus to the sufferers through assistance, referrals, information and awareness;
Promote research into treatment and prevention;
The OSI Special Section will not deliver health services.
Eligibility:

Veterans as defined by The Royal Canadian Legion and their families who are/have been affected by OSI;
Members of the Special Section must be Legion members.

For further information: Bruce Poulin at Dominion Command, by cell at (613) 292-8760 or bruce.poulin@legion.ca.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/change-to-legion-structure-will-improve-services-to-veterans-582623261.html

I'm sure I can get the answer to the question I'm asking by going and checking out the facebook pages you guys are all referring to, but since I don't feel like punching my monitor this morning, perhaps I can get a more tame and less inflammatory explanation from you fine folks.

Why in the hell would anyone have a problem with the establishment of this Special Section?

"The RCL wants to establish a sub-organization to help veterans deal with OSI."

How is that a bad thing? Why would anyone, vets especially, have a problem with it?

Is it Vets who don't have OSIs complaining that their needs are being ignored?

Lumber said:
Why in the hell would any of have a problem with the establishment of this Special Section?

A brief discussion here,

Legion stealing acronyms now? Are they OSISS?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/122832.0

Lumber said:
I'm sure I can get the answer to the question I'm asking by going and checking out the facebook pages you guys are all referring to, but since I don't feel like punching my monitor this morning, perhaps I can get a more tame and less inflammatory explanation from you fine folks.

Why in the hell would any of have a problem with the establishment of this Special Section?

How is that a bad thing? Why would anyone, vets especially, have a problem with it?

Is it Vets who don't have OSIs complaining that their needs are being ignored?

Because veterans facebook drama. There are various 'factions' within the Canadian veterans community as it exists in online social media, and there are a number of various toxic combinations of personalities. On top of that there is still considerable distrust of the RCL stemming from their support of the NVC some years back. Take legitimate grievances, and add scorched-earth approaches to social media feuds across individuals and organizations, and you have a battlespace ripe for loudmouths who can basically say whatever they want from behind a computer monitor.

There are no perfect ideas or initiatives, but the RCL in this one is enabling a bunch of troops and vets who really do give a damn to leverage the organization's reach for some serious good to potentially be achieved. Perplexingly, that manages to turn into a source of butthurt for some. It is what it is, and the work will carry on regardless of naysayers.

Regarding mariomike's reply- The acronym 'OSISS' is not, never has been, and never will be used by the OSI Special Section or the RCL more broadly. Nonetheless the potential confusion is acknowledged as a problem, and a few of us have been pushing hard for a name change. Most of the leadership in the initiative are understanding of and receptive to that concern, but we shall wait and see what results.

Lumber said:

Personally, I don't have an issue with it. My concern only relates to the possibility of confusion surrounding the potentially identically abbreviated agencies. I know it's OSI Special Section, but at some point it will become OSISS and therein lies the chance of confusion. While you can control what your own organization calls the new office, you can't control how the public and press see it.

As to the Facebook issue, folks need to chill - on both sides. We don't need "blue on blue" warfare here because the real casualties will be the ones that need help.

First, I'd say the RCL needs to do a survey of what's already out there - and then choose a name that is different from one already in use.  It looks sloppy to announce something with an abbreviation that's already in use elsewhere that's covering the same ground.

dapaterson said:
First, I'd say the RCL needs to do a survey of what's already out there - and then choose a name that is different from one already in use.  It looks sloppy to announce something with an abbreviation that's already in use elsewhere that's covering the same ground.

Well Said,

I can see that no plannig was done, except a description, with catch phrases, and key positions for cronies.

I am not going to bother even saying "We shall see".....Failure from the get go.

Another Legion looking for input.

Comox Legion seeking public input at June 25 open house

Part of its mission is to serve veterans, members of the military, the RCMP and their families. But 300,000-plus members of 1,400-plus branches of the Royal Canadian Legion also serve a host of community programs across the country.

The Comox Legion contributes between $40,000 and $60,000 each year to a variety of non-profits in the Comox Valley.

“We’re not just an old man’s drinking club,” said Rod Bell-Irving, second vice-president at the Comox Legion.

Branch 160 is hosting an open house Saturday, June 25, an all ages event intended to bring awareness to the purpose of the Comox Legion. The open house coincides with Legion Week, June 24-30.

“Legions across Canada, to varying degrees, are going through transformations,” Bell-Irving said. “Some of them are closing through lack of support. Financially, they’re not able to survive. Demographically, Legions tend to be older than younger in terms of its members.”

The B.C. command has released a strategic planning document that suggests Legions will no longer exist by 2022 if branches do nothing differently.

“They put that out there to motivate and encourage branches to wake up and smell the coffee, and say ‘What are you going to do about it?’,” Bell-Irving said.

The Comox Legion, one of three Valley branches, is financially sound. Its membership is around 900 people. More than 500 are veterans.

Still, Branch 160 has initiated a strategic planning process that asks: Ten years from now, what do we see ourselves doing, and where do we see ourselves physically?

It’s considering three options: do nothing, renovate the 60-year-old building or undertake a total rebuild.

“We have one of the bigger meeting rooms that we rent out or give away for community members to use,” said Bell-Irving, noting an option might be to add an elevator.

“We own the land that we sit on, and we own the building. We’re looking at possibly tearing down the building and undertaking a development on the site. The Town of Comox has recently developed a strategic plan. Our site has been zoned in a manner that would allow us to build a structure that could be as high as six stories. That gives us some scope and potential for building a significant structure that might incorporate things like seniors subsidized housing, veterans housing, or some other combination.”

Branch 160 has invited 25 non-profits — the Food Bank, Therapeutic Riding and RCMP kids camp, among them — to the open house to advertise what they do. Each will be given time to promote their organization and to discuss what the Legion contribution means to them.

The public will also be asked for input and to consider the question: If we’re not around in five to 10 years from now, what difference would that make to you?

“We’re asking the public and the community to help us shape our strategic plan,” Bell-Irving said.

The open house runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 1825 Comox Ave

http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/383683961.html?mobile=true

Hopefully, this reply is helpful in providing context reference The Royal Canadian Legion and similar veterans organizations. Unlike The RCL, most US veterans associations/leagues are closed membership organizations that only allow full membership to those who served in specific areas, locations, or time periods. I've belonged to several, including among others the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Disabled American Veterans. MODS: If it doesn't fit within this thread, please feel free to delete it.

I belong to one veterans organization that raises funds by sending out unsolicited address labels, 50s-style greeting cards, and cheap notepads and pens in the hopes that members will send in donations. Maybe at one time, those sorts of items were useful, but the world is changing. I used to attend meetings of the local post in this same organization, but they were always exactly the same, and after five or six times, I quit going. Another local chapter of a national veterans group does a big flag display in town on Flag Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Independence Day. They set up tables at the grocery store and you can buy Buddy Poppies. On Flag Day (June 14th), my wife and I went to the store and bought some Buddy Poppies, which took some doings since two of the people at the table were talking on their cell phones, and the other one was doing a crossword puzzle.

So this isn't just an RCL thing, but something we're dealing with in the US too.

"New member tidal-wave coup" is such a harsh term - highlights mine  ;D
The Legion has long helped those retiring from the military to transition to civilian life. Whether helping Veterans access care and benefits, referring Veterans to programs and supports, or providing opportunities to connect with other Veterans and get involved in your community, the Legion is here to support you.

As part of our efforts to help Veterans transition to civilian life, the Legion, in cooperation with the Canadian Armed Forces Depart With Dignity Program, offers a free, one-year membership to all retired Forces members who are not yet a Legion member. This free membership, which includes a subscription to Legion Magazine and access to Legion Member Benefit programs, is one way we thank Veterans for their service, and provides Veterans with the opportunity to get to know the Legion.

As you move into a new phase of life, being a Legion member is a great way to stay connected to the military family, to honour and support those who served and sacrificed, and to strengthen your community. For those who want to be more involved in the Legion, you can transfer your membership to a local Legion Branch at any time. As a member of a Legion Branch, you have opportunities to volunteer in your community, add your voice to Legion advocacy efforts, become involved in leadership roles at your Branch, and help shape the Legion in your community and across the country ...
So, how attractive is this "try us out" offer?

milnews.ca said:
"New member tidal-wave coup" is such a harsh term - highlights mine  ;DSo, how attractive is this "try us out" offer?

There will be those of us, like myself, who won't be having a DWD or any other such ceremony when we cross the brow for the last time.  I suppose we'll fall through the cracks.  The point is fairly moot for me anyhow.  The RCL branches back home for me are not close to home or convenient.  I couldn't see myself becoming a member once again.  Don't mind the magazine, though.

milnews.ca said:
So, how attractive is this "try us out" offer?

Not very.  It seemed like it might be almost 3 years ago when I retired but I saw the letter the other week when I was clearing some files.  I have had no desire to darken the doors of the Legion.  My mother was part of a Branch Ladies Auxiliary for close to 50 years that voted to disband recently.  The RCL withers IMHO and the vets and ladies roll over in their graves.

milnews.ca said:
"New member tidal-wave coup" is such a harsh term - highlights mine  ;DSo, how attractive is this "try us out" offer?

First DWD I ran, I filled the form out and left it undated for the retiree, as he was going to do mission work for a year before returning to Canada...I do well recall my own and never got such a thing.  Come to think of it, I still haven't received a few certificates...

MM

Back