• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which of these airbases is the old CFB Lahr?

exspy said:
Guys,

You're right.  I think the same happened to me that happened to Colin.  When you go searching on Google maps the address doesn't change from the first search made.  In other words I started my two searches from the sites that Colin had provided.  When I found Lahr and Bad-Soellingen the addresses had not changed so I just inadvertently repeated the sites that Colin had provided.

Please try this one for Lahr:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Lahr+Germany&sll=48.037549,12.451522&sspn=0.006872,0.013819&g=Lahr,+bavaria,+Germany&ie=UTF8&ll=48.357846,7.848186&spn=0.054637,0.11055&t=h&z=13
yes this one is lahr. I saw some of the old hunts that are still there

Bit of trivia,
Lahr had the longest run way in all of NATO that is why all did touch and goe's on Saturday's and Sunday's. :blotto: :'(

Spr.Earl said:
Bit of trivia,
Lahr had the longest run way in all of NATO that is why all did touch and goe's on Saturday's and Sunday's. :blotto: :'(

Longer than Frankfurt am Main? .........    Or just less busy?

George Wallace said:
Spr.Earl said:
Bit of trivia,
Longer than Frankfurt am Main? .........    Or just less busy?

Ahh . . . the great Canadian inadequacy game . . . measuring parts to show that we're just as good as the bigger guy.  Well, as I've tried to convince many females of varying ages over the years, it's not just length that should be taken into account when judging if "size matters".

Yes, it was commonly said (mainly by Canadians) that Lahr had the longest runway in NATO Europe Germany Southwestern Germany.  At 3000m, it probably was "one" of the longest runways in Germany that was "open only to military aircraft".  Rhein-Main (until it closed) shared use of the 4000m runways with Frankfurt Airport.  Ramstein was probably the next busiest USAF airbase, especially for heavy lift aircraft; its runways were under 2500m.  Spangdahlem's runway is about the same length (and maybe a few metres longer) as Lahr's.  While length matters, it is not the only thing.

The "only" time that Lahr received C5 Galaxys was the evening of 18 April 1991 when C5s and C141s arrived to load vehicles and personnel of 4 Field Ambulance who were deploying to southeastern Turkey (and eventually into Iraq) in support of Kurdish refugee operations.  We loaded from one of the margs on the western side of the field; the apron in front of the AMU could not accommodate a C5.  While "a" C5 was on the ground loading, the runway was closed to all other traffic because its wingspan intruded into the runway space.  There was one nervous moment for the base commander (who had come over with his son to see the aircraft while we were loading) when the C5 pilot indicated that they were having some warning lights and didn't know if he would be able to take off until they were resolved.  The base commander was concerned that the airfield could be closed until a maintenance crew and parts came down from Ramstein, possibly incurring a several hours to full day shutdown of his airfield.  The C5 took off anyway and diverted to Ramstein for the repairs.  They could easily handle multiple C5s.

Back