• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Navy NCM Trade is Best?

Timmy449

Inactive
Reaction score
I am strongly considering a re muster to the Navy, possibly looking at NCI OP or NES OP.
I was wondering if anyone had any input on the pros and cons to each trade or even some other trades I haven't mentioned.
Also, I am a very poor academic student. Will the trade courses pose a challenge for me?

Why not Met Tech? You get to sail with the RCN, but aren't trapped in the OPs room, and you also get to spend time with the artillery, and the Air Force.

You might be surprised by how much your academics improve when it's your job. I was a straight 50-60% student in High School, and have managed to do very well for myself as a weather forecaster and inspector in the Met Trade.

Thanks for the response, I currently work in ATC so I have a very good idea of the Met tech position. It definitely seems like a decent trade for sure, my concern would be ending up on a airbase, it seems kind of similar to what I do now, I am just looking for a bit more excitement.
Do you generally get a say in which element you serve with, or do you go straight to where your needed?

Thanks for the response, I currently work in ATC so I have a very good idea of the Met tech position. It definitely seems like a decent trade for sure, my concern would be ending up on a airbase, it seems kind of similar to what I do now, I am just looking for a bit more excitement.
Do you generally get a say in which element you serve with, or do you go straight to where your needed?
You get sent where needed, and the first couple of years are generally on an airfield. That said, it can be 2-5 years of that, then sailing on a ship if you want to, when you get your forecaster course as a Cpl/MCpl. Sailign has been the highlight of my career, so I definitely am not trying to steer you away from the navy, just wanted to present another option.

There is also the opportunity to go to one of the Artillery units, where you get to do the fun army stuff for a few years before bouncing to another place/element.

Re: Your concern about ending up on an airbase.

Is it because of location (ie. you want to be in a bigger place like Hfx/Esq), or you don't want to do any of the trades that are found in an airbase?

You get sent where needed, and the first couple of years are generally on an airfield. That said, it can be 2-5 years of that, then sailing on a ship if you want to, when you get your forecaster course as a Cpl/MCpl. Sailign has been the highlight of my career, so I definitely am not trying to steer you away from the navy, just wanted to present another option.

There is also the opportunity to go to one of the Artillery units, where you get to do the fun army stuff for a few years before bouncing to another place/element.

Okay, that sounds like a pretty cool career and you have really enjoyed it. I also see the trade is very in demand right now. I will defiantly look into it. Thanks.

Re: Your concern about ending up on an airbase.

Is it because of location (ie. you want to be in a bigger place like Hfx/Esq), or you don't want to do any of the trades that are found in an airbase?
Not necessary, I mean it is not ideal for me personally to be posted to places Cold Lake or Greenwood, Navy posting locations are pretty good IMO, but it is more the day to day and travel involved with sailing I find appealing.

Not necessary, I mean it is not ideal for me personally to be posted to places Cold Lake or Greenwood, Navy posting locations are pretty good IMO, but it is more the day to day and travel involved with sailing I find appealing.
Ok. Have you considered AESOp then? There's a chance for Greenwood but there's a ton of travel. And hotels are nicer in LRP, but if you really want the ship experience there's MH.

Given the folks I used to work with, I'm going to go with Clearance Diver.

Yes AESOps definitely have a good go, have considered it for a while. A difficult QL3 from what I understand.

Yes AESOps definitely have a good go, have considered it for a while. A difficult QL3 from what I understand.
+1 for AES Op. 👍

Handsdown, the best career move I ever made. I regret not being able to remuster from the Navy to AES Op earlier (stoopid VOT restrictions... :mad:).

If selected as a CH148 AES Op, you'll probably get more sea-time than most sailors too.

I'm too far removed from the trade to offer any relevant QL3 advice, but there's a couple of AES Ops on this site who can give you the inside scoop on QL3. Even if you're only considering it, I strongly suggest asking any topical questions to the AES Op sub-group or Facebook page. They won't steer you wrong.

Aside from what Ping Monkey said, AES Ops are the one group (besides Medical Officers) who I've never heard anyone say "I wish I was still [former trade]".

And that includes Pilots.

Our apologies. Compared to our force size, we've got a lot going on!
I've spent enough years at sea to know there are at least 3 bored NESOPs surfing the web all day, and the NAVCOMS are dumping buckets of bandwidth over the side at every watch change. They had time... lol

I've spent enough years at sea to know there are at least 3 bored NESOPs surfing the web all day, and the NAVCOMS are dumping buckets of bandwidth over the side at every watch change. They had time... lol
This is sadly accurate, and I'll elaborate on that with the post I've been trying to write.

Back